Dirt Growers And Cal/mag

rockinlespaul

Generally, dirt or soil-less gardeners fortify their soil formulas with dolomite lime, which releases both minerals as it neutralizes overly acidic nutrient solutions, in a natural timed release manner. There are easily imaginable conditions where that treatment is insufficient, and a cal/mag additive might be necessary, like high coir content, extreme growth rates, and nutrient anomalies... (do keep in mind that TOO much locks everything right up!)

You also get calcium in crab meal, bat guano, gypsum, most water, lime, earth worm castings, most compost, oyster shell powder, and so on.

Magnesium comes from lime, some shells, espom salt, I'm sure there is more, but this just off the top of my head. So if your growing in soil and have a diverse mix of soil amendments you should be covered, unless your using RO water.......shredder

Good call Mezz, I'm surprised it's not even higher in cal. They are basically calcium carbonate. Crab meal is also good for bugs. The shells are chitin, and they attract a bacteria that eats chitin, that bacteria(chitinase sp?) also eats bugs that have their exoskeletons made from chitin. Earlier this spring we cooked up a bunch of crab legs. I threw the leg shells in my compost pile. They we gone in a week or so. To compost that fast means they also have a high N content. So crab meal is a pretty nice soil amendment.......shredder

whats up bro :)

hehe ill chime in on this one.

lets the plants tell you. as you see you can ask 20 growers and get 15 different answers. it all depends on starting mix, strain, and light. sooo ........ every plant is probably going to be different.

wait for the sign, and then take action.

whats up bro :)

hehe ill chime in on this one.

lets the plants tell you. as you see you can ask 20 growers and get 15 different answers. it all depends on starting mix, strain, and light. sooo ........ every plant is probably going to be different.

wait for the sign, and then take action.

Yeah your right as always...should have asked you from the get go.

Gimme a ring when you get time, it's been too long. :)

Generally, dirt or soil-less gardeners fortify their soil formulas with dolomite lime, which releases both minerals as it neutralizes overly acidic nutrient solutions, in a natural timed release manner. There are easily imaginable conditions where that treatment is insufficient, and a cal/mag additive might be necessary, like high coir content, extreme growth rates, and nutrient anomalies... (do keep in mind that TOO much locks everything right up!)

Great answer! Remember, NEVER USE HYDRATED LIME. Some of the pellets release pretty quick also, so make sure you know your particular one. Sunleaves used to sell a great additive called Soil Sweetener that was a powdered instant release dolomitic lime supplement, but it's no longer available to the best of my knowledge. Remember to flush your plants EXTRA WELL when using lime products or you will get a harsh taste in the smoke.

In my experience, I've also personally found that Botanicare's CalMag plus works better than the organic Calmag supplements as there are a lot of unnecessary sugars and carbohydrates in them that sometimes either seem to weaken the supplement or interfere with it's intended use. If you've had great experience with the organic ones then by all means continue using it. Stuff sometimes works better for others because their environment, growing style, and other variables, always varies from your own, so don't hesitate to try different things. Just do it in moderation.

For my purposes, the standard 1 tsp per gallon (5 ml per liters) works pretty well but you will find strains that like and need the accelerated formula which is 2 tsp per gallon (10 ml per 4 liters). You can also foliar spray with CalMag for quicker results for plants with a deficiency, or if you have a multi-strain grow in a recirculating type hydro system and one or two of the strains require extra CalMag which would probably inhibit or hurt the other strains.

Archived