Congressman Proposes 25 Years In Prison For Pot

What we are up against...story is two years old but, now this lying POS republican has MORE POWER!!!

Kirk is now a Senator in Illinois

http://blog.norml.org/2009/06/15/congressman-proposes-25-years-in-prison-for-pot/

They say that every action spurs an opposite reaction. Well, that certainly seems to be the case in Congress.

Just days after Massachusetts Democrat Rep. Barney Frank, along with 13 cosponsors, reintroduced HR 2835, the Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act of 2009 in Congress, Republican Rep. Mark Kirk (Illinois) has called for federal legislation to sentence certain first-time marijuana offenders to up to 25 years in prison.

UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!! It gets even worse. Check out some of the comments and coverage from Rep. Kirk’s press conference (WTF is “koosh?!”), which took place this afternoon. You can also offer your opinions regarding this misguided and mean-spirited proposal on Alternet.org and the ever-popular Huffington Post blog. You can also send Rep. Kirk and his colleagues a strong message by making your thoughts known on The Hill.com’s Congress blog here.

U.S. Rep. Mark Kirk to push tougher sentences for more-potent marijuana

via The Chicago Tribune

U.S. Rep. Mark Kirk will call for legislation Monday that would toughen drug-trafficking laws regarding a highly potent form of marijuana, with penalties of up to 25 years in prison for a first-time offense.

The law would target offenders who sell or distribute marijuana that has a THC content exceeding 15 percent.

… Drug dealers are increasingly cross-breeding plants to produce high-potency variants of marijuana, which are called “kush” in street slang when they have 20 percent THC, Lake County Sheriff Mark Curran said. “When you amplify the strength of it, you are increasing the harm to the system,” said Curran, who supports the legislation, which would amend a federal law. “They are more dangerous behind the wheel of a vehicle. It’s not a good idea to have people that messed up.”

… The Republican North Shore lawmaker said he plans to release more information during a news conference in Chicago on Monday, where he will be joined by representatives from the Lake County Sheriff’s Department, the Lake County Metropolitan Enforcement Group and Waukegan Police Department.

Okay, where to begin? Well, we can start with U.S. Representative Mark Kirk. According to the Congressman’s website, Rep. Kirk is “pro-personal responsibility.” Unless, of course, we’re talking about allowing responsible adults (or patients) the choice to relax (or medicate) in the privacy of their own homes with a substance that is objectively safer than alcohol (or most prescription pharmaceuticals). Then, naturally, all bets are off.

Representative Kirk’s website also alleges that the five-time-elected Congressman is “pro-science.” Unless, of course, we’re talking about cannabis — in which case he is actually “pro-ideology” and “anti-science.” After all, if Rep. Kirk was truly interested in the science of cannabis he would already know that:

1) According to a 2008 review (see page 12) of marijuana potency by the University of Mississippi, the average THC in domestically grown marijuana — which comprises the bulk of the U.S. market — is less than five percent, a figure that’s remained unchanged for nearly a decade.

2) THC — regardless of potency — is virtually non-toxic to healthy cells or organs, and is incapable of causing a fatal overdose. Currently, doctors may legally prescribe a FDA-approved pill that contains 100 percent THC, and curiously, nobody among Rep. Kirk’s staff or at the Lake County Sheriff’s office seems to be overly concerned about its potential health effects.

3) Survey data gleaned from cannabis consumers in the Netherlands—where users may legally purchase pot of known quality—indicates that most cannabis consumers prefer less potent pot, just as the majority of those who drink alcohol prefer beer or wine rather than 190 proof Everclear or Bacardi 151. When consumers encounter unusually strong varieties of marijuana, they adjust their use accordingly and smoke less.

Of course, if Rep. Kirk (write him here!) was really concerned about potential risks posed by supposedly stronger marijuana, he would support regulating the sale of drug (as opposed to jailing first-time pot sellers for a quarter of a century) so that its potency would be consistent and this information would be publicly displayed to the consumer. This same advice applies to the members of the Lake County Sheriff’s Department and the Waukegan Police Department — who claim “we don’t make the laws; we just enforce them” — yet seem to have no problem whatsoever lobbying for increased federal pot penalties while on company time.

Fortunately, the likelihood is that Rep. Kirk’s proposed legislation will be all bark and no bite. One, I suspect that few if any of Rep. Kirk’s colleagues in Congress will even consider supporting such an asinine measure. Two, even if such legislation were to become law (and it won’t) — who would test each and every seized marijuana sample for THC potency and who would pay for it? Currently, only the University of Mississippi engages in such potency testing, which is highly expensive and requires the use of a gas chromatography mass spectrometer device. In short, it appears that the misguided Congressman from Illinois is simply trying to make headlines.

One can’t blame him for trying. After all, across the pond, unsubstantiated claims regarding the dangers of often-talked-about-but-never-actually-defined supposedly “lethal” ’skunk’ weed caused a national frenzy and resulted in Parliament hastily deciding to reclassify pot possession offenses from a verbal warning to up to five years in jail. Never mind that, under Britain’s short-lived experiment with decriminalization, marijuana potency actually fell — as did the number of adolescents using the drug.

Of course, as the latest actions of the so-called “pro-science, pro-personal liberty” Congressman show, facts play virtually no role in political drug policy debate, and ignorance hardly disqualifies someone from holding elected office.

========================================================================================================================

Lying is now a pre-requisite to be a republican politician.

Sen.Mark Kirk makes false claim about his military service

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/senate/mark-kirk-campaign-ad-makes-fa.html

Rep. Mark Kirk, the GOP candidate for the Senate seat once held by President Obama, misrepresented his military record as recently as last summer, according to a Web video for Kirk's campaign that resurfaced Tuesday.

"The Navy named Mark Intelligence Officer of the Year for his combat service in Kosovo," the narrator of the two-minute video says, while photos of Kirk in military attire scroll in the background.

Kirk, whose Illinois Senate campaign has emphasized his service in the Navy Reserves, acknowledged last week that he did not receive the award, despite a claim in his official biography and his own statements in a 2002 House committee hearing. A unit Kirk led in Aviano, Italy, received an award from the National Military Intelligence Association for outstanding service in 2000.

Kirk is facing a competitive battle against Illinois Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias (D) for the Senate seat. Kirk's recent misrepresentations of his service come in the wake of a recent controversy surrounding another U.S. Senate candidate, Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal (D), who has acknowledged misstating his own military service during the Vietnam war.

Guest 1TokeOverLine

republicans at ther best,

?????? :blink::blink::blink::blink:

Blumenthal is a Democrat the last time we looked. Pompous ignorance shows no party line affiliation to my knowledge. Why is it that party bashing is the common response to stories of this ignorance and career politicians' greed.

Party lines aside, these self appointed "lawmakers" (they refuse to call themselves representatives now) have only their own personal agendas in play, and think they have the power to force the public into their tiny boxes of how they think we should behave.

Bullies forcing the sheeple into neat little manageable categories are Republicans, Democrats and "Tea Party" affiliates - party lines have no part in their Gestapo agendas.

1T

Bars are increasingly cross-mixing alcohol and Red Bull to produce high-potency variants of Cocktails, which are called "Jager Bombs" in street slang when they have 20 percent Alcohol, Lake County Sheriff Mark Curran said. “When you amplify the strength of it, you are increasing the harm to the system,” said Curran, who supports the legislation, which would amend a federal law. “They are more dangerous behind the wheel of a vehicle. It’s not a good idea to have people that messed up.”

Please note, Alcohol is responsible for more fatalities from overdosing and fatal automobile accidents than any plants known to man, and has ruined countless families with addiction and physical/emotional abuse.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I won't attack this guy because he is a republican, that type of stereo typing just minimizes what a tool and a fool this guy is. I don't know why so many people cling on to the dieing views of society. I mean cling onto Christianism, which more and more americans are either atherists, humanists, or just simply don't care. The youth of america isn't gungho about blocking abortion, it isn't anti-sex, and it is PRO MARIJUANA. I personally think if I were a politician, I would bet on the horse that may be a few behind the leader, but is gaining ground fast.

i thought barney frank just turned in a bill with ron paul to reschedule cannabis to a 2?? was that frank??

Actually QT, they did, I think that is HB2385 or something like that. And yes it was Barney Frank/Ron Paul. :goodjob:

However it more than just reschedules it, it says that anything cultivated, harvested, delivered and ingested inside a state line, is no business of the Fed's and they have to stay out of it.

Isn't this the same guy that went to the War zone and came back saying Afghani Kush breed, grown , and sold in America funded the Tali ban ? He has problems way worse then many of us .If he couldn't hurt so many people with his ideas I would just pity him . What is scary is there are people that follow and support his fascist mentality of increasing penalties for the imaginary threat . Their ignorance breeds more hatred and discrimination . It has always existed but never has it crept into our laws with such venomous intent and with modern technology it is ruining lives forever without merit . It is scary to live in a Country that would elect someone with this rhetoric 5 times to elected office . No wonder these attitudes are more and more prevail ant as voters reward or at least ignore them .

Blumenthal is a Democrat the last time we looked. Pompous ignorance shows no party line affiliation to my knowledge. Why is it that party bashing is the common response to stories of this ignorance and career politicians' greed.

Party lines aside, these self appointed "lawmakers" (they refuse to call themselves representatives now) have only their own personal agendas in play, and think they have the power to force the public into their tiny boxes of how they think we should behave.

Bullies forcing the sheeple into neat little manageable categories are Republicans, Democrats and "Tea Party" affiliates - party lines have no part in their Gestapo agendas.

1T

Could be the GOP is blamed because about 90% of the bad reports made are about Republicans doing things like Kirk is. When something positive comes from our Gov about MJ it's more often a Democrat, pretty simple to me why most of us say nasty things about the fools. No stats here just 50 years of reading the news.This is my opinion of coarse.

1T

Republican Rep. Mark Kirk (Illinois) has called for federal legislation to sentence certain first-time marijuana offenders to up to 25 years in prison.

"They also want to mandate the medical choices that are available for the poor."

I know they are and the two scariest terms of modern medicine are " managed care " and" mandatory compliance ". They are used to injure more and more people against their will every year by cruel Doctors with super ego's .often compounding suffering yet nobody stands up for patient rights . No means no ! It is ridiculous to say a patient doesn't know what is hurting them and to believe everyones chemistry is the same . If so why do some people die from bee stings and others laugh unaffected by even the pain .Some cant take milk , some cant' eat peanuts were all different .

This guy may find his butt up against an NAACP buzz saw !!!

Let us be sure to send some sheckels to his opponent .

Individuals as delusional as this donkey-hole do NOT deserve to be taken seriously, let alone be allowed to control this country's destiny !!!!

dr. Jinx

Society has gone from being gentile, to production line. When a unit breaks, it is important to minimize it's impact and expense on the cost per unit. Even if that unit has been a model unit, the junk yard still views it as junk, once it is broken. The numbers are clear. If you decrease the payout on medicaid, units will die because of it. Yet, here they they go, desensitizing the issue by saying, that those units consume most of the resources. If we allow that unit, equal access to the health pool, then all units will have to absorb the cost. This makes all the other units angry at the broken unit. So when that unit is denied health care, the other units will be relieved that their cost per health care unit did not rise. It is sad to listen to these politician units speak. They have lost contact with the worker units. They show no emotion when they condemn the broken units to death. This makes compassinate units sad! Thanks, Bb

Wow. I was just musing yesterday about how I sometimes feel like a robot - a "unit" so to speak - and a "defective" one at that. I have visible defects that I have accumulated over 60+ years of service. I usually try to hide my defects and appear to other units as though I am a perfectly functioning unit that doesn't need to be "put away" - decommissioned - but it gets harder all the time to appear "normal". I have resolved to give up the pretense and let the world see me as I am - a unit with many physical and mental defects who still has some functioning mental chips that can be formidable in a battle of wits. Bring it on right wing fascist units - the battle is about to be engaged.

Archived