Recall Ag Bill Schuette

Now this is activism by the people!

MIDLAND — A Lansing man who has accused Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette of attempting to sabotage the state's medical marijuana law has struck out in an attempt to start a recall against Michigan's top law enforcement official.

The three-member Midland County Election Commission unanimously rejected recall petition language as unclear during a clarity hearing Monday inside the Midland County Courthouse.

Richard C. Clement Sr., 54, a member of Michigan NORML, vowed to try again with a new petition. “We still want to free the weed,” he said.

NORML is an acronym for National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.

“They were basically my editors,” he said of the Election Commission. “They were right. It wasn't specific enough.”

Rusty Hills, a spokesman for Schuette, praised the decision.

“Bill Schuette was elected to uphold the laws, defend the Constitution, protect the public,” Hills added. “That's what we've been doing. That's what we'll continue to do.”

Schuette, a Republican, was not at the clarity hearing in his hometown.

In the petition filing, Clement accused the attorney general of three claims: Insubordination, conduct unbecoming a state employee, and misuse of state property over enforcement of the medical marijuana law.

Among other allegations, the petition contended, the attorney general had disobeyed a "direct order" from Michigan citizens and had provided "false and misleading information to county prosecutors and judges" about the medical marijuana law while violating patient confidentiality.

The petition also claimed the attorney general used the resources of the elected office to "harass, intimidate and prosecute" participants in the medical marijuana program. Further, the petition contended, Schuette gave prosecutors a "green light to seize property, money and other assets" of people in the program.

Attorneys for Schuette argued the petition lacked clarity and was "functionally incomprehensible."

“The recall petition generically references various instances of misconduct without ever citing the attorney general’s purported actions,” a legal response to Clement's allegations said. “Presumably, the petitioner intends to confuse and mislead voters in order to evoke an emotional response regarding unspecified conduct and incorrect conclusions referenced in the recall petition. Neither the voters nor the attorney general can properly form a judgment regarding the statements contained in the recall petition because they are unclear, ambiguous, unidentifiable, and appear to be simply untrue.”

Gary P. Gordon, a Lansing lawyer who represented Schuette, dismissed each claim in a point-by-point rebuttal to election commissioners.

“This isn't some sort of parlor game,” Gordon said. “This is serious business.”

Clement disputed Gordon, pointing to an additional brief he filed that he said supported his claims. Moreover, he told commissioners before their decision, the language was clear to the average voter and accused Gordon of “selected” reading.

“He's trying to confuse you ...” Clement said at the hearing.

Gordon said the additional document citing examples to support the original petition showed Clement’s language was confusing.

Midland County Probate Judge Dorene Allen, an Election Commission member, dismissed the petition claims as “extremely general.”

“The responsibility in a recall petition is for specificity so the public official is able to respond,” she said.

Elected officials facing an attempt to remove them from office have a right to a 200-word response on a recall petition.

“I can't even fathom being able to do that in 200 words,” she said.

The judge cited examples of petition generalizations, and even faulted the recall language for the spelling of marijuana.

“The petition itself spells it with a j,” she said. “The law itself spells it with an h.”

If approved, Clement and his supporters would need to gather 807,000 registered voters signatures from throughout the state within 180 days. No signature could be more than 90 days old when submitted for verification to the state Bureau of Elections.

Guest Happy Guy

Talking medical cannabis out one side your mouth.... and 'free the weed' out the other... you will find... is ineffective. You can't switch hats that fast and look serious. You just end up looking like a stand up comic.

It's like the dispensary near me putting up radio ads saying, "Patients don't want to be treated like patients".

Ah well, only patients can use it legally so you better want to be treated like a patient! This is a legal MEDICAL state. Key word there is MEDICAL... as in PATIENT. "Free The Weed" is in a differnt tune all together and it doesn't fit as harmony in the medical cannabis song. Try, "Free access for legal patients". That might work better than the outdated saying that only fits with total legalization. Just like saying 'patients don't want to be treated like patients'. Who the heck thought that one up is what I want to know? I'd like to meet them.

Talking medical cannabis out one side your mouth.... and 'free the weed' out the other... you will find... is ineffective. You can't switch hats that fast and look serious. You just end up looking like a stand up comic.

It's like the dispensary near me putting up radio ads saying, "Patients don't want to be treated like patients".

Ah well, only patients can use it legally so you better want to be treated like a patient! This is a legal MEDICAL state. Key word there is MEDICAL... as in PATIENT. "Free The Weed" is in a differnt tune all together and it doesn't fit as harmony in the medical cannabis song. Try, "Free access for legal patients". That might work better than the outdated saying that only fits with total legalization. Just like saying 'patients don't want to be treated like patients'. Who the heck thought that one up is what I want to know? I'd like to meet them.

A very good and astute observation that reinforces the need to pay close attention to the words being utilized when speaking about the program. Thank you for your insight.

Good Luck to you!

Clement has been a icon fighting for the rights of Michigan Citizens on the subject of Cannabis Prohibition and is well loved . However the constant cry of " Free the Weed " doesn't ring true with todays voters or the Conservatives that need to be reached . Time to avoid that catch phrase the media just loves to print . Marketing the movement mainstream is everything . The opposition cries that legalization is our goal . While that may or may not be true once you accept the reality and proper implementation of medicinal marihuana it is a inevitable result . There is no way around it . It is the only way for research and access to be developed . It is the only way to put a end to the destruction of lives out of unrealistic fear and self destructive behaviors to our democracy from the gangs and DEA who profit from a never ending war .

When Clement returns let us hope camera's follow and the petition easily exemplifies the truth which is the interpretations gleaned from the act by AG Schuette would serve to keep activities criminal and make the act unworkable . Since he was the head of opposition to Prop 1 their can only be one conclusion ; he is not acting impartially as charged by his oath of office and duty to Michigan Citizens .

Clement has been a icon fighting for the rights of Michigan Citizens on the subject of Cannabis Prohibition and is well loved . However the constant cry of " Free the Weed " doesn't ring true with todays voters or the Conservatives that need to be reached . Time to avoid that catch phrase the media just loves to print . Marketing the movement mainstream is everything . The opposition cries that legalization is our goal . While that may or may not be true once you accept the reality and proper implementation of medicinal marihuana it is a inevitable result . There is no way around it . It is the only way for research and access to be developed . It is the only way to put a end to the destruction of lives out of unrealistic fear and self destructive behaviors to our democracy from the gangs and DEA who profit from a never ending war .

When Clement returns let us hope camera's follow and the petition easily exemplifies the truth which is the interpretations gleaned from the act by AG Schuette would serve to keep activities criminal and make the act unworkable . Since he was the head of opposition to Prop 1 their can only be one conclusion ; he is not acting impartially as charged by his oath of office and duty to Michigan Citizens .

FYI look what Maine just did!

Maine Adds Patient Privacy Protections

State officials in Maine have defied federal threats to their state medical cannabis program and expanded it. As the result of the increased federal interference, Maine lawmakers changed the provisions of their medical cannabis law to better protect the privacy of patients who participate in the program.

At the end of June, Maine Governor Paul LePage signed a new law that not only makes the state patient registry voluntary, but also broadens the number of patients it covers. A list of qualifying conditions has now been eliminated, physicians may now recommend cannabis for any ailment that may be helped by it, and Maine will no longer collect information on those conditions. Legal protections for patients were also expanded. Qualifying patients are now protected from arrest, and the new law also prevents local governments from imposing any restrictions more stringent than those in state law.

"I am proud to a sign a bill that protects patient privacy and respects the will of the voters," Gov. LePage said in a statement.

Medical cannabis is legal under local law in 17 states and the District of Columbia.

Unfortunately, the general public still holds prejudice (started a long time ago, and currently reinforced by people like Bill Schuette) towards us, assuming we are all drug-crazed criminals.

I think the medical marihuana law is a chance to prove that prejudice wrong.... To show people that we are mostly "normal" people who have chronic serious illness, not a bunch of drug dealers.

People are becoming more open minded towards us, but I think we have to obey the law we have, and be a good example, before anything else will follow.

Unfortunately, the general public still holds prejudice (started a long time ago, and currently reinforced by people like Bill Schuette) towards us, assuming we are all drug-crazed criminals.

I think the medical marihuana law is a chance to prove that prejudice wrong.... To show people that we are mostly "normal" people who have chronic serious illness, not a bunch of drug dealers.

People are becoming more open minded towards us, but I think we have to obey the law we have, and be a good example, before anything else will follow.

Yes, it is terribly important for all parties involved in promoting the advancement and full legalization of medical marijuana to obey the Act to the letter. Thank you and good luck.

Thanks for the effort. I hope this can move forward. In many ways we need to make sure we do not look like weed smokin hippies to others. No point in being dismissed out of hand.

So do you have a plan on what to do/say if and when this becomes a real thing?

Political correctness is like a football player standing in the middle of the field worried about how they look instead of working with their teamates to whack the other side...

Conservatives are onese who are in the back field while the front line warriors are opening the holes of opportunity.

When it comes to people like Schuette I will be one of the first in line to tell him flower you and your agenda. He don't give a darn about what we are calling participants in the program.

Billy Bong and his wonderful throng of supporters can kiss my donkey.

Round 2 / August 17th, 2011 - Midland Michigan

If you love your "medicine" and if you are a "paitent" then you have a chance to speak in support or denial of the second petition filing for the purpose of calling a recall on the occupant of the Office of Attorney General on Wed. Aug 17 @ 2PM

The Weed will be Feed for people in need... like the U.S.A. and the economy..

Lastly, I don't post a lot on the MMMA board but kissing donkey was never one of my strong points.

and Bill Schuette is probably drinking some Jerimiah Weed now...

are you ready for your recall?

flower him in advance.

Just cause the Law spells it Marihuana , instead of Marijuana they both are pejorative words for the Cannabis Plant. Hows thAT FOR SPECIFICITY ! ! !

Let's Get Specific , people . They're the ones in the ' Parlor ' playing games ! and the Parlor belongs to the People ! and We're Tired of playing their games ...

While beating the dirty language editor... LOL..

Political correctness is like a football player standing in the middle of the field worried about how they look instead of working with their teamates to whack the other side...

Conservatives are ones who are in the back field while the front line warriors are opening the holes of opportunity.

When it comes to people like Schuette I will be one of the first in line to tell him fock you and your agenda. He don't give a sheet about what we are calling participants in the program.

Billy Bong and his wonderful throng of supporters can kiss my ask.

If you love your "medicine" and if you are a "paitent" then you have a chance to speak in support or denial of the second petition filing for the purpose of calling a recall on the occupant of the Office of Attorney General on Wed. Aug 17 @ 2PM

Lastly, I don't post a lot on the MMMA board but kissing ask was never one of my strong points.

fock him in advance.

While beating the dirty language editor... LOL..

Conservatives are ones who are in the back field while the front line warriors are opening the holes of opportunity.

When it comes to people like Schuette I will be one of the first in line to tell him fock you and your agenda. He don't give a sheet about what we are calling participants in the program.

Billy Bong and his wonderful throng of supporters can kiss my ask.

Lastly, I don't post a lot on the MMMA board but kissing ask was never one of my strong points.

fock him in advance.

Free the Weed

brother warrior

Archived