Looking To Vacation Down State,need Help

smokeythebear

Hope this is ok where I put it.

I'm looking to get my girlfriend a weekend/couple day vacation and we were talking about greenbay but I am willing to drive a few more hours to stay legal while on vacation.

I hate big citys and lots of people but we need to be around alot of good stores for her. Hope to stay close to the bridge.

I think we will be doing the trip around feb.14th so another big thing is romantic (cant belive I just said that!) The plan is to "pop" the question also on the trip so any good winter ideas for down there please let me know.

not looking for ski lodges,more private settings

Thanks for any advice

Mackinac Island.

gonna cost ya a lil more, but should be an ideal setting and so worth it.

shops are quaint mom and pop shops.

but its been eons since ive been there, so may be a lil research would be good.

Totally agree . This place would be very romantic to pop the question :blow-a-heart: . What with the horse drawn sleighs with a lap blanket to the warm fire in the fireplaces , But as Timmah said it will cost a bit, but your young bride to be will remember it forever :bighug: . I'm just not sure if there open all winter , or if there MMJ friendly. I do know i I was her it would never be forgotten. Great suggestion Timmah. :goodjob:

:thumbsu: BTW congratulations Smokey on the big step. .... Best of luck..................Pops

How exciting for you!!

Another vote for TC - Traverse City is nice; well I haven't been there in over 10 years... But when I was there, it was nice :rolleyes: If you drive up on the peninsula, there are wineries (if you're into wine). I don't like cities either but TC seemed like kind of a mid-sized, friendly city. Wish I had more info to help you, I'm not a shopper so I don't know what the shopping is like there but there looked like lots of cool places. And of course lots of home made cherry stuff.

Best wishes Smokey!!

My wife and I renewed our vows this past March on our snowmobiles just off of trail #8 in Munising. We then rode 80 miles to Grand Marais to have lunch at the Lake Superior Brewing Co. We are outdoorsey people and it was the most breathtaking ride we have experienced so far. The Lake Superior shoreline is just breathtaking in the winter! For our "Anniversary" we are going to leave out of Munising for Marquette, find a B&B for the night and head back to Munising the following morning. I hear of great shopping in Marquette and some of the most romantic scenery along the way. You can rent 2 person snowmobiles from just about any hotel/motel in Munising along with warm gear at pretty reasonable prices. Even cheaper if you go mid-week. I recommend the Terrace Motel. Although its not a 4 star place, the owner Larry is an amazing host. Look up Miners Castle. I would have to say that would be the most romantic place to pop a question! We were going to renew our vows there but they wanted a $100 license fee for us to do so, even tho it doesnt cost a dime to enter the park at anytime of the year. Hope this helps! Thanks, Medcnman.

Since this is turning into a 'marriage proposal' thread, I want to share my story of how I proposed.

I have been married 10 years now.

You have to make your marriage proposal unique, as women will enjoy telling the story forever.

My wife had worked in the food court of Great Lakes Mall. I worked there for x-mas for extra money as my job at the time was campus police for baker college, and they were closed for the holidays. So I went to the security office at Great Lakes Mall (pretty professional) Met the Lt - who just happened to be female, so knew I could convince her to help me.

Two security officers, including the LT went to the food court and called my to-be-wife out infront of everyone - "We have a report of stolen property on you, you need to come with us." she says "what?!" They say "yes, someone says you stole something from them."

They had her in front of her job, in full veiw of all the people eating in the court.

I came up behind her, and said loudly, "Yes, officers! that is the lady that STOLE My Heart!" and got on my knees and showed her the ring.

She cried and said yes. Everyone in the food court applauded.

Make it memorable - as I don't remember the wedding itself...

DN

Since this is turning into a 'marriage proposal' thread, I want to share my story of how I proposed.

I have been married 10 years now.

You have to make your marriage proposal unique, as women will enjoy telling the story forever.

My wife had worked in the food court of Great Lakes Mall. I worked there for x-mas for extra money as my job at the time was campus police for baker college, and they were closed for the holidays. So I went to the security office at Great Lakes Mall (pretty professional) Met the Lt - who just happened to be female, so knew I could convince her to help me.

Two security officers, including the LT went to the food court and called my to-be-wife out infront of everyone - "We have a report of stolen property on you, you need to come with us." she says "what?!" They say "yes, someone says you stole something from them."

They had her in front of her job, in full veiw of all the people eating in the court.

I came up behind her, and said loudly, "Yes, officers! that is the lady that STOLE My Heart!" and got on my knees and showed her the ring.

She cried and said yes. Everyone in the food court applauded.

Make it memorable - as I don't remember the wedding itself...

DN

very cool!!

18 years ago, my then girlfriend and I were in Kay jewelers in Westland Mall. She was looking at rings. The salseman asked "is this an engagement ring?" I looked at her, she looked at me. I said "maybe" and turned to her and said "wanna get married?". She said "sure". Not a very romantic proposal but 18 years later, she is still my wife. Medcnman.

My wife and I renewed our vows this past March on our snowmobiles just off of trail #8 in Munising. We then rode 80 miles to Grand Marais to have lunch at the Lake Superior Brewing Co. We are outdoorsey people and it was the most breathtaking ride we have experienced so far. The Lake Superior shoreline is just breathtaking in the winter! For our "Anniversary" we are going to leave out of Munising for Marquette, find a B&B for the night and head back to Munising the following morning. I hear of great shopping in Marquette and some of the most romantic scenery along the way. You can rent 2 person snowmobiles from just about any hotel/motel in Munising along with warm gear at pretty reasonable prices. Even cheaper if you go mid-week. I recommend the Terrace Motel. Although its not a 4 star place, the owner Larry is an amazing host. Look up Miners Castle. I would have to say that would be the most romantic place to pop a question! We were going to renew our vows there but they wanted a $100 license fee for us to do so, even tho it doesnt cost a dime to enter the park at anytime of the year. Hope this helps! Thanks, Medcnman.

Munising you have big springs to dont know if they still have the raft any more but that is very nice to

Thanks everyone :)

It will be 5 years for us next week so I guess this is the next step,lol

I'm in Escanaba (U.P.) about 4 hours from the bridge i think. We have been all over the UP on vacations/trips and I'm trying to find a area with bigger malls. Since I was a kid everyone I knew went to greenbay but I want to spend my money in michigan and stay legal while I'm at it.

I was thinking TC also but dont know the northern LP to well. I'll check out some places around there.

keep the idea's and tips coming

I looked at the grand hotel but that was like $2-3k

any tips for the ring? I got this one place online a buddy told me he got his wifes.

http://www.worldjewels.com/_e/Engagement_Rings/product/ac-411/Womens_Diamond_Ring_1_85_ct_.htm looking at this one

thanks again everyone

Yah, UP is way nice.

Wife and I love it up there.

We stay at the Sunset Cabins in Munising, which is right on Lake Gitche Gumee. :thumbsu:

But if you want big doings, and the big shopping, and a tolerated MMJ community may I suggest:

Genesee County.

Puts you in great position for:

A trip to Detroit for the Wings game, and other things you would want to do downtown, museum, gambling, etc

A trip to Great Lakes Crossing for a day of shop 'til you puke consumer gluttony with a 25 screen theater.

A trip to the Somerset collection for a day of top end luxury-brand shopping excess.

A trip to the local MMJ farmers market for a much needed break from all the shopping :thumbsu:

Thanks everyone :)

It will be 5 years for us next week so I guess this is the next step,lol

I'm in Escanaba (U.P.) about 4 hours from the bridge i think. We have been all over the UP on vacations/trips and I'm trying to find a area with bigger malls. Since I was a kid everyone I knew went to greenbay but I want to spend my money in michigan and stay legal while I'm at it.

I was thinking TC also but dont know the northern LP to well. I'll check out some places around there.

keep the idea's and tips coming

I looked at the grand hotel but that was like $2-3k

any tips for the ring? I got this one place online a buddy told me he got his wifes.

http://www.worldjewels.com/_e/Engagement_Rings/product/ac-411/Womens_Diamond_Ring_1_85_ct_.htm looking at this one

thanks again everyone

try deals on wheels the pawn shop in esky that is were i got my wifes frist ring at a 1/4 C for a buck30 befor i got the one i wanted to get here a nice 1C ring

Archived