Making Bho

I made some bho last weekend using sugar leaves and small trim of a couple different varieties. I first put the ground up product in a preheated bowl in the oven set at 300 for 14 minutes. I then used a stainless steel turkey baster with 5 stainless steel pipe screens. I did 4 back to back extractions with about 8 grams per cycle. I learned NOT TO set my upper bowl on a piece of wood while I refreshed my warm water, as the bowl froze fast to the board, and would not release it's mighty grip until the last of the butane was almost gone, even while pouring warm water on the board constantly until it came free. I then set the bowl on a heating pad at just warmer than skin temperature for 24 hours. I stirred it up about 4 or 5 times in the first 4 hours, and then once more the next morning. It came out very black and tarry, almost like tire "slime". It tastes very harsh but it has a very strong buzz factor, and will put me to sleep easily.

A couple of questions.

Was the color and consistency due to the product I used, or might it have had to do with the fact maybe my screens were not fine enough, and a little product may have gotten through the screens?

Why didn't it harden up more like ear wax?

Did I stir it too often(using the tip of a small jacknife blade) Did I not stir it hard enough? I'm not sure of the exact procedure of "whipping" it.

I appreciate constructive criticism and advice!

Don :))

I use an electric skillet to put the water in. Then I set my pyrex dish inside. That way I never have to worry about changing my water. As far as the color, it was probably a little on the green side? If so, yea, its plant matter. In addition to your screens, try adding a coffee filter on the end of your tube. This will catch all the ppant matter and should leave you with a golden blonde color. As far as consistency, you may not have had enough heat under it while stirring. Too much heat will cause it to harden to a hard glassy look. Not enough heat will leave it runny. Tweak your heat a little bit. Allow it to sit for a couple seconds between "whips". I even toss mine in the freezer every now and then to stop the cooking down process to ensure I dont over do it. You'll get the knack! Sounds like your close! Thanks, Medcnman.

black bho is never good, always use a coffee filter for sure, lower temps work just takes more cycles of whipping and cooling, I usually use a glass rod or a paper clip to stir depending on how much I made. trichome color also effects color majorly, if it was alate harvest with lots of amber trichs, it will come out much darker, and in my experience is harder to get to "whip up", tends to go to more of a taffy. Hope that helps if you need any more help let me know

Newb question.

If Iwere to use a 1/4 oz of Qwerkle buds (tops) , how much Bho would you end up with? A gram?

Reason I am asking is I M looking at an Omicron, and wordering if it would be worth the time to render it out.

Instead of smoking plant material, you only vape the oil.Doesn't that change the medicinal effects?

Can anyone give me a link to a DIY video of their preferred style of extraction?

Thanks.

Newb question.

If Iwere to use a 1/4 oz of Qwerkle buds (tops) , how much Bho would you end up with? A gram?

Reason I am asking is I M looking at an Omicron, and wordering if it would be worth the time to render it out.

Instead of smoking plant material, you only vape the oil.Doesn't that change the medicinal effects?

Can anyone give me a link to a DIY video of their preferred style of extraction?

Thanks.

Private Message sent

Look up Decarboxylation in this forum. The heat increases the potency. I read to use no ,ore than 300 degrees for no more than 15 minutes.

My electric skillet is about 250-275 degrees on low. My Blueberry earwax (BHO) tested at 80.4%THC with a 3.6%CBD content. In "Seeds-Strains and clones" under "Medcnmans blueberry earwax" you can see a pic and the results. It was tested by Cannalytics. Its quite potent!! Medcnman.

I use an electric skillet to put the water in. Then I set my pyrex dish inside. That way I never have to worry about changing my water. As far as the color, it was probably a little on the green side? If so, yea, its plant matter. In addition to your screens, try adding a coffee filter on the end of your tube. This will catch all the ppant matter and should leave you with a golden blonde color. As far as consistency, you may not have had enough heat under it while stirring. Too much heat will cause it to harden to a hard glassy look. Not enough heat will leave it runny. Tweak your heat a little bit. Allow it to sit for a couple seconds between "whips". I even toss mine in the freezer every now and then to stop the cooking down process to ensure I dont over do it. You'll get the knack! Sounds like your close! Thanks, Medcnman.

I agree with like 3% of above on the bho, hey op pm me I will give you my way, and it comes out like honey oil should everytime, if done correctly with no heat at all, when the butane disoved you would have wound up with ah honey colored brittle product, now is the time for low heat for you, for me I dont wait for it to disolve, I disolve it and im smoking it, in prob not more than 2 hrs from start to finish, have it bottled for pts and feeling well! and it is safe to eat, smoke or stick any where!:rolleyes:

Peace

Jim

I made some bho last weekend using sugar leaves and small trim of a couple different varieties. I first put the ground up product in a preheated bowl in the oven set at 300 for 14 minutes. I then used a stainless steel turkey baster with 5 stainless steel pipe screens. I did 4 back to back extractions with about 8 grams per cycle. I learned NOT TO set my upper bowl on a piece of wood while I refreshed my warm water, as the bowl froze fast to the board, and would not release it's mighty grip until the last of the butane was almost gone, even while pouring warm water on the board constantly until it came free. I then set the bowl on a heating pad at just warmer than skin temperature for 24 hours. I stirred it up about 4 or 5 times in the first 4 hours, and then once more the next morning. It came out very black and tarry, almost like tire "slime". It tastes very harsh but it has a very strong buzz factor, and will put me to sleep easily.

A couple of questions.

Was the color and consistency due to the product I used, or might it have had to do with the fact maybe my screens were not fine enough, and a little product may have gotten through the screens?

Why didn't it harden up more like ear wax?

Did I stir it too often(using the tip of a small jacknife blade) Did I not stir it hard enough? I'm not sure of the exact procedure of "whipping" it.

I appreciate constructive criticism and advice!

pm me, amatures all of em!

Peace

Jim

pm me, amatures all of em!

Peace

Jim

So your saying with mine testing at over 80% THC that my method doesnt work? Well, tell JB420 the same thing because he showed me how to do it. When your oil can stop Parkinsons tremors for nearly two hours, then let me know your secret. Medcnman.

So your saying with mine testing at over 80% THC that my method doesnt work? Well, tell JB420 the same thing because he showed me how to do it. When your oil can stop Parkinsons tremors for nearly two hours, then let me know your secret. Medcnman.

wow did i make you mad? i sure didnt mean to, Im saying the extractions and most of the methods i read are way harder and unnesescarry! :lol:

and if it isnt coming out honey looking well, if the shoe fits, my will cure anything that ails you and I dont need any back up but have plenty! I wouldnt waiste my time getting actual pt adds lmao! wow, I feel good today and can only hope others feel the same!

Peace

Jim

The heat is to change the consistency, and make it more portable, when its in its oil form its harder to store, and handle. When I make it for me I use no heat, and a vaccuum pump usually to purge it, and it does come out with more flavor. a hard brittle honey to amber color, I can also make it in a taffy consistency etc. that all depends on your preference. However your statement phaq that it is safe to eat without heat.... decarboxylation is absolutely necessary for consumption. I am far from an amature at bho, and it takes about right at an hour from start to finish when making budder or earwax too.

Everyone likes to think they have the best method, why people can't understand that more then one method works is beyond me.

For grade A butane extraction you'll need the following: grade A material(nothing that isn't absolutely coated in trichomes),a stainless steel or glass extraction tube, a Pyrex dish, and razor blades.

After the extraction comes the purge which is in my opinion what makes or breaks your final product. There are many different way to purge out the solvent, the most common and easy being repeated hot water baths. (I use a vacuum pump anyone want info pm me or something)

Purge till no cloudy bubbles remain, many people have agreeddd the smaller clear bubbles are volatile terpenes, so you don't want to release those or your oil will be very unenjoyable.

Anyone who says they make the best BHO is a fool, anyone with half a brain and good starting material can make good BHO, now when you're producing some FMCD ice water extraction I start to get impressed.

(also whoever suggested eating BHO I would steer away from that unless you use the $5 a can FDA approved food additive butane(rx7000 I believe is the name), even top notch companies like vector have about 10% propane and amounts of chemicals so small in ppm they don't have to list them which isn't something you wanna be eating.)

Edit: biggest thing I forgot lol DO NOT GROUND UP YOUR MATERIAL. I repeat DO NOT. You'll get a way darker low quality oil then if you were to just shove in the material.

Just my 2 cents happy dabbin everyone!

The heat is to change the consistency, and make it more portable, when its in its oil form its harder to store, and handle. When I make it for me I use no heat, and a vaccuum pump usually to purge it, and it does come out with more flavor. a hard brittle honey to amber color, I can also make it in a taffy consistency etc. that all depends on your preference. However your statement phaq that it is safe to eat without heat.... decarboxylation is absolutely necessary for consumption. I am far from an amature at bho, and it takes about right at an hour from start to finish when making budder or earwax too.

no i didnt say i dont heat it! I would never say that it is safe to eat w/o being heated, well if I did Sorry! I said in about 2 hrs i can have it done and bottled ready for pts!

Peace

Jim

I agree with like 3% of above on the bho, hey op pm me I will give you my way, and it comes out like honey oil should everytime, if done correctly with no heat at all, when the butane disoved you would have wound up with ah honey colored brittle product, now is the time for low heat for you, for me I dont wait for it to disolve, I disolve it and im smoking it, in prob not more than 2 hrs from start to finish, have it bottled for pts and feeling well! and it is safe to eat, smoke or stick any where!:rolleyes:

Peace

Jim

Ok sorry about that, I didnt think we were only talking about eating bho! any one that gets it, I tell them it is not for eating, it is for smoking, I dont not recomend eating my honey oil, but I do recomend smoking it! :rolleyes:

I stand corrected! no I would not recomend eating bho.

Peace

heatless vac purge. works wonders. i grind my pile of trim. also i use a metal screen and 2 coffee filters. very light colored stable wax. oil is the result of overheating imo.

we could get into what plates work best and how you keep your dish warm insted of comparing egos.. just sayin. bho is simple.

Archived