Today'S Article On Mlive

mizerman

http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2012/04/medical_marijuana_advocates_pr.html

LANSING, MI — Medical marijuana advocates gathered at the Capitol on Tuesday to protest proposed changes to Michigan’s medical marijuana law.

Lawmakers are considering a package of bills that supporters say would clarify issues that have arisen since the act was approved by voters more than three years ago.

But protestors contend the legislation infringe on patient rights. More than 150 people attended the event at the Capitol on Tuesday.

“I oppose these bills,” said Joe Cain, of the Michigan Medical Marijuana Association. “I oppose every one of them because they hurt sick people.”

The package of four bills were reported out of committee to the full House last month.

HB 4834 would require a photograph for medical marijuana patient registration cards, extend the expiration from one to two years, and would allow law enforcement officers or officials to access medical marijuana patient information. The bill also calls for the state to contract with a private company to help process and issue registration cards in order to expedite the process.

HB 4851 attempts to clarify the definition of “bona fide physician-patient relationship,” which is required for medical marijuana cardholders. HB 4853 lays out sentencing guidelines and HB 4856 regulates the transportation of medical marijuana in cars.

Amy Gasaway, 52, of Macatawa, doesn’t want law enforcement officers to have access to her medical records.

“Even though we have our law, the movement isn’t done, because … we’re being bullied by our lawmakers,” she said.

Michigan State Police Sgt. Dwayne Gill in March testified that officers just need to know whether someone is on the medical marijuana registry; they don’t need to know the exact condition or doctor information.

Other protestors are concerned about the state defining a “bona fide physician-patient relationship.”

Mary Robbins, 52, of Jackson, said her doctor is “terrified” to recommend medical marijuana for her back pain and other ailments, and that the new law wouldn’t help.

“The patients should control their own lives and their own medication,” she said.

The bill’s supporters say it would help ensure that non-qualified patients are unable to get medical marijuana cards.

During a committee hearing last month, Rep. Ken Horn, R-Frankenmuth, referenced a Macomb County case where a doctor allegedly issued hundreds of medical marijuana certifications that were then sold from the back of an appliance store.

Email Melissa Anders at manders@mlive.com. Follow her on Twitter: @MelissaDAnders.

*******************************************************************************************

“I oppose these bills,” said Joe Cain, of the Michigan Medical Marijuana Association. “I oppose every one of them because they hurt sick people.”

*******************************************************************************************

So, is he still involved or still running the Michigan Medical Marijuana Association?

Mizerman

So, is he still involved or still running the Michigan Medical Marijuana Association?

Mizerman

i do not think that their to many people wanting to take that job at least for free

Joe has apparently struck out on his own, but is trying to maintain his connection with the MMMA name and the legitimacy it provides. The dispute between Joe and just about everyone else is unfortunate, but he serves an arguably useful purpose. At least he is out of the way so that information and cooperation can be brought into play. Every circus needs a clown act.

Joe has apparently struck out on his own, but is trying to maintain his connection with the MMMA name and the legitimacy it provides. The dispute between Joe and just about everyone else is unfortunate, but he serves an arguably useful purpose. At least he is out of the way so that information and cooperation can be brought into play. Every circus needs a clown act.

I agree it is very unfortunate. I can't sit here and say I agree with everything Joe has said or done, but I can say that about most everyone (I think we all can). But one thing I do admire about him is that he sticks to his guns (for better or worse) with this situation. The government has ample oppurtunity (and inquiries) to "legalize" cannabis. They chose never to do this and the people finally stood up, created a law, got it placed on the ballot, and the people voted Yes. Now all of a sudden, here comes the gov saying we need to fix this. I applaud people like Joe who say "screw you" you had your chance leave us alone, it's not all about you! Now that attitude may not work, but if we had less sheep (I am one, no doubt) and more people who stood up for ourselves, we may get something done. (The line of thinking i.e The Revolutionary War, The Whiskey Rebellion, Boston Tea Party, Occupy Wall Street(even though it basically failed, whatever it's mission was..lol))

Not trying to say that meeting with the reps and explaining to them in an educated manner to kill the bills or at least rework their changes to reflect reality isn't right. That is also applause worthy. I just think of Joe as old school vs. new school. I think Joe's whole thing is that the government needs to "fear the people" (lack of better words) instead of how we basically bow down to them and come crawling when we need something.

He is standing up for the little guy. You, Myself, Himself, and everyone else. As far as farmer's markets vs. dispensaries, everyone claimed that he just wanted the FM so he could get rich. I am sure that money was/is a motivation for his stance on the FM. Maybe so, but all of those caregivers there have/had a source of income. If dispensaries come, it would probably be the usual 1% investor types getting all the money as usual. So he may "get rich" from the FM concept, but at least there is some on the table for the rest of us, not just 6 partners with good credit. I personally am not in it for the money, but if it's there I would rather see it spread out for everyone rather than aforementioned 6 suit and ties.

Not saying that anyone/anything is right or wrong, just wanted to think out loud for a second. I wish him the best, I personally hate whatever just happened over the last month, and I still respect him as I would any other man or woman. Everyone has their good and bad. It "may be" better that he is out of this limelight, or it may not, I'm not smart enough to make that judgement, but he still has my respect just as everyone else does.

End of rambling pointless rant.. lol Thanks if you made it this far.

I agree it is very unfortunate. I can't sit here and say I agree with everything Joe has said or done, but I can say that about most everyone (I think we all can). But one thing I do admire about him is that he sticks to his guns (for better or worse) with this situation. The government has ample oppurtunity (and inquiries) to "legalize" cannabis. They chose never to do this and the people finally stood up, created a law, got it placed on the ballot, and the people voted Yes. Now all of a sudden, here comes the gov saying we need to fix this. I applaud people like Joe who say "screw you" you had your chance leave us alone, it's not all about you! Now that attitude may not work, but if we had less sheep (I am one, no doubt) and more people who stood up for ourselves, we may get something done. (The line of thinking i.e The Revolutionary War, The Whiskey Rebellion, Boston Tea Party, Occupy Wall Street(even though it basically failed, whatever it's mission was..lol))

Not trying to say that meeting with the reps and explaining to them in an educated manner to kill the bills or at least rework their changes to reflect reality isn't right. That is also applause worthy. I just think of Joe as old school vs. new school. I think Joe's whole thing is that the government needs to "fear the people" (lack of better words) instead of how we basically bow down to them and come crawling when we need something.

He is standing up for the little guy. You, Myself, Himself, and everyone else. As far as farmer's markets vs. dispensaries, everyone claimed that he just wanted the FM so he could get rich. I am sure that money was/is a motivation for his stance on the FM. Maybe so, but all of those caregivers there have/had a source of income. If dispensaries come, it would probably be the usual 1% investor types getting all the money as usual. So he may "get rich" from the FM concept, but at least there is some on the table for the rest of us, not just 6 partners with good credit. I personally am not in it for the money, but if it's there I would rather see it spread out for everyone rather than aforementioned 6 suit and ties.

Not saying that anyone/anything is right or wrong, just wanted to think out loud for a second. I wish him the best, I personally hate whatever just happened over the last month, and I still respect him as I would any other man or woman. Everyone has their good and bad. It "may be" better that he is out of this limelight, or it may not, I'm not smart enough to make that judgement, but he still has my respect just as everyone else does.

End of rambling pointless rant.. lol Thanks if you made it this far.

Joe got boots on the ground in Lansing, and generated positive media attention for these regressive House Bills.

Good for Joe.

Fortune favors the bold.

Let's hope that old marine can keep chugging along, and be the thorn that keeps our Government's foot from totally crushing our collective MMJ throats.

Joe got boots on the ground in Lansing, and generated positive media attention for these regressive House Bills.

Good for Joe.

Fortune favors the bold.

Let's hope that old marine can keep chugging along, and be the thorn that keeps our Government's foot from totally crushing our collective MMJ throats.

The trouble with that protest was the impression that it left. If you were there then you know it looked more like a rally for repealtoday.org. At least half of the people there were either holding signs or wearing pins or collecting signatures for repeal today or NORML. It looked like a repealtoday rally and did not have much of a feel for medical use. Furthermore, most of the media pictures/video showed people holding the signs. In fact WLNS tv out of Lansing reported on the rally and interviewed a legislator who indicated that he felt it was a rally for repealtoday motives as well.

I'm not knocking repealtoday or NORML but cain has bashed them and then basically welcomed them to the rally. Probably becase he needed to boost his numbers there. He allowed a mixed message to be sent. If you were a casual observer for a few minutes (which is what most people were that were walking by on their lunch hour, etc.) then you definitely got the feel that the rally was to end mj prohibition. Most of the signs were for that purpose and ALL of the professionally made signs were for that purpose. Furthermore, I was approached 5 different times by signature gatherers for repealtoday. Anyone that walked by was approached for that AND they had 3 or 4 tables set up for that purpose.

Again, I'm not knocking repealtoday, but unless you stood there for 30 minutes to listen to the speakers then it would've appeared to the casual observer that it was potheads wanting their weed made legal. It sent a very mixed message.

Joe's mistake was that he believed, and still believes, his are the only legitimate arguments and methods, to the point of his working to prevent many good people with good motives and methods from participating in the process. It was his childish insistence toward banning hundreds, if not thousands of members and posters that played in large part in his downfall. If this website is to be a resource for all of the people no one can prohibit posting until and unless they cross the line of common courtesy. My infraction was to post regarding CPU's position on dispensaries. I am not a member of that organization, but respect the work they do, as I do any bunch whose intention is to protect our law and not unduly offend my sensibilities. He has shown that he is mentally unbalanced, and I am far from alone in thinking that he would do everyone a favor to get professional help. He does not have the intellect or emotional intelligence to lead any but the most pathetic sheep. I do not count myself among them. I do think that he is marginally useful, but not as a key contributor to any serious dialogue.

I agree with you for the most part, I respect anyone who is willing to stand up for their and my rights. I just see two different methods, with Joe's method being the less popular. Joe's method being power in numbers telling them to back off vs. power in reasoning and working with them. In my opinion, both roads would lead to Rome, a combination of the two would lead to Rome, but doing nothing leads nowhere. I think he sees/or saw as meeting with reps basically bowing to their mercy, begging and pleading for us to be treated like people, vs straight up standing up for our rights.

I respect anyone who has done anything to help our cause, and in no way say one way is better than the other.. I have done both, myself. I just think the less people stand up like Joe, the more of a police state this nation will come. (Think Revolutionary war, had we just worked with them and compromised we would be English, but they stood up and said Screw you we are our own.) Again, I'm not the smartest person or may be the best at fully portraying my thoughts, but I just think people need not beat him up so much, and yes, he could use some help in playing well with others..lol)

The trouble with that protest was the impression that it left. If you were there then you know it looked more like a rally for repealtoday.org. At least half of the people there were either holding signs or wearing pins or collecting signatures for repeal today or NORML. It looked like a repealtoday rally and did not have much of a feel for medical use. Furthermore, most of the media pictures/video showed people holding the signs. In fact WLNS tv out of Lansing reported on the rally and interviewed a legislator who indicated that he felt it was a rally for repealtoday motives as well.

I'm not knocking repealtoday or NORML but cain has bashed them and then basically welcomed them to the rally. Probably becase he needed to boost his numbers there. He allowed a mixed message to be sent. If you were a casual observer for a few minutes (which is what most people were that were walking by on their lunch hour, etc.) then you definitely got the feel that the rally was to end mj prohibition. Most of the signs were for that purpose and ALL of the professionally made signs were for that purpose. Furthermore, I was approached 5 different times by signature gatherers for repealtoday. Anyone that walked by was approached for that AND they had 3 or 4 tables set up for that purpose.

Again, I'm not knocking repealtoday, but unless you stood there for 30 minutes to listen to the speakers then it would've appeared to the casual observer that it was potheads wanting their weed made legal. It sent a very mixed message.

Exactly!

Joe's mistake was that he believed, and still believes, his are the only legitimate arguments and methods, to the point of his working to prevent many good people with good motives and methods from participating in the process. It was his childish insistence toward banning hundreds, if not thousands of members and posters that played in large part in his downfall. If this website is to be a resource for all of the people no one can prohibit posting until and unless they cross the line of common courtesy. My infraction was to post regarding CPU's position on dispensaries. I am not a member of that organization, but respect the work they do, as I do any bunch whose intention is to protect our law and not unduly offend my sensibilities. He has shown that he is mentally unbalanced, and I am far from alone in thinking that he would do everyone a favor to get professional help. He does not have the intellect or emotional intelligence to lead any but the most pathetic sheep. I do not count myself among them. I do think that he is marginally useful, but not as a key contributor to any serious dialogue.

BINGO!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up this morning thinking about our former general and resident azz paddler's words. Key in on "they hurt sick people".

Kind of ironic isn't it? He was the very one hurting sick people on this very website that claims to be a patient advocacy group. Really?

I am taking a bow and shouting out a very big, "I TOLD YOU SO"! After listening to last night's show, it was confirmed by State Representative Fred Durhal, Jr. that these rallies and protests do more harm than good...and it was obvious to ANYONE who listened to last night's program that Representative Durhal is whole-heartedly standing with the entire medical marijuana community and is on our side.

We all need to e-mail and/or call his office and thank him.

http://006.housedems.com/contact-me

Plus, we need to thank Michael Komorn again and again for getting rid of the person who was doing far more harm than good.

I heard someone say that Joe Cain was a danger to the medical marijuana culture and last night's show confirmed it.

Mizerman

Archived