Urgent- Call Your Senator Today

This was in my email and thought I'd share it. We need to let them know these bills do more harm then good. Please make it a point to take 5 minutes out of your day to make the call. Thanks again

According to the MI Senate's daily calendar, there are many medical marijuana bills in the general order for reading starting THIS TUESDAY (you can read it yourself, if you don't believe it: http://www.legislatu...c-05-22-049.pdf)

I have read through the agenda and pulled out all medical marijuana bills (saw 6 of them!), and a few other drug policy bills (the only good drug policy bill is a Medical Amnesty bill). We are about to witness something much worse than whatever happened in the MI House. If there's any way to minimize passage of these bills, let's talk about it! Mainly, everyone needs to contact their State Senator's office immediately (do not delay this one day) and request a NO vote on ALL of these MMJ bills!!

MEDICAL MARIJUANA BILLS ON MOVE IN MI SENATE

SB 17: Health; pharmaceuticals; formation of medicinal marihuana clubs or operation of medical marihuana bars; prohibit. Amends 1978 PA 368 (MCL 333.1101 - 333.25211) by adding sec. 7421. http://legislature.m...11-SIB-0017.pdf

SB 377: Health; medical marihuana; registry information; make available to law enforcement officers upon issuance of a medical marihuana card. Amends sec. 6 of IL 1 of 2008 (MCL 333.26426). http://legislature.m...11-SIB-0377.pdf

SB 418: Health; medical marihuana; permissible causes of action under the medical marihuana law; clarify. Amends sec. 7 of 2008 IL 1 (MCL 333.26427). http://legislature.m...11-SIB-0418.pdf

SB 504: Health; medical marihuana; dispensing medical marihuana within 1,000 feet of a church or school; prohibit. Amends sec. 4 of 2008 IL 1 (MCL 333.26424). http://legislature.m...11-SIB-0504.pdf

SB 977: Controlled substances; marihuana; use of medical marihuana for treatment of glaucoma; prohibit. Amends secs. 3 & 5 of 2008 IL 1 (MCL 333.26423 & 333.26425). http://legislature.m...12-SIB-0977.pdf

SB 974: Health; medical marihuana; authorization to medical marihuana in certain places; restrict. Amends sec. 7 of 2008 IL 1 (MCL 333.26427). http://legislature.m...12-SIB-0974.pdf

OTHER DRUG POLICY BILLS NOT SPECIFIC TO MEDICAL MARIJUANA

SB 1082: Controlled substances; schedules; synthetic cannabinoids; classify as schedule 1 controlled substances and prohibit sales and offer to sell certain products represented to contain controlled substances or having the effects of controlled substances. Amends sec. 7212 of 1978 PA 368 (MCL 333.7212); adds sec. 7417.

SB 353: Traffic control; violations; any intoxicating substance; include in definition of "operating while intoxicated". Amends sec. 625 of 1949 PA 300 (MCL 257.625).

SB 258: Liquor; drinking age; certain minors presenting themselves for treatment; exempt from underage drinking violation under certain circumstances. Amends sec. 703 of 1998 PA 58 (MCL 436.1703). [THIS BILL IS GOOD AND DESERVES A YES VOTE IMO]

CONTACT YOUR STATE SENATOR IMMEDIATELY. REQUEST A NO VOTE ON ALL THE MMJ BILLS.

What will it change?

I wrote to, e-mailed and called and talked to my Representative.

It mattered Not!!!

He said he would vote for the bills, whether I wanted him to or not.

" It's good for the state " ie; cops, prosecutors and judges.

Good luck in your efforts.

If my rep wouldn't listen, the senator will not give a fock about what I have to say.

Edited by ilynnboy

Don't give up. Your Senator is a different person. Make your voice heard not just for the Senate's next vote but for the good of the cause over the long haul.

Please remember that this is not an issue that will have a single vote and then be over. We are in the midst of prohibition repeal. It is taking years to change the tide but the tide is changing.

How is it that many of these issues are so clear to us yet we still are opposed? Changing the tide is a matter of getting individuals to see the issues as we see them.

That is why I keep saying that we have to get the press involved in these communications to the Sens and Reps so that they can strip away the political cover for these politicians. We need to copy the world on letters and emails that explain to the politician that they are hurting patients.

The politicians want to vote for their contributors and will UNLESS we can shine enough light on their inhumane actions. We can't allow them to say later that they didn't realize that they were harming patients.

Have you ever directly talked to a reporter about this issue and heard their responses? It is not so easy to portray these bills as a terrible upending of the voters' will. I am not finding the press very receptive to our perspective on the bills, or on the original meaning of the initiative.

Why would they be receptive? All they report on are people that are breaking the law in some fashion...

Lastly, what you said about "the original meaning of the initiative" seems to have as many opinions as there are different colored crayons.

I do know that what I thought I voted for in 2008 has turned out to be as far away from what I thought "the original meaning of the initiative" was supposed to be all about.

I'm a liberal democrat and a disabled patient and I strongly support SB505.

The radiation levels must be extremely high right now???

it seems allhope is lost....if they get that kind of access like it says in sb377 there will be caos in the community... i mean im already freaked out and it hasent happened yet.

i have nothibg to hide i stay within my limits,but they think we are all criminals... if this one passes im moving out of the state.

i cant live in a state the promotes the abuse of out rights

Who knows what will happen? I found out today that many on this website will be voting for Romney (who is about as ANTI-Medical Marijuana) as one could possibly be. If that happens and he becomes president I can guarantee you of one thing. He will direct his attorney general to gut each and every one of the state's laws who have medical marijuana on the books...and turn the DEA loose with a vengeance the likes none of you can possibly imagine. I tend to think that our medical marijuana law here in Michigan just might be completely non-existent by this time next year for a variety of reasons.

Like most everyone I stay well with in my numbers both on count and weight yet I'm afraid, very afraid of my own government. Just where they want me huh. Well, that is sad. I'm not to afraid to reach out to anyone who is running against the heartless politicians and asking how I can help. 3MA, it is your responsibility (if not, it should be) to keep us well informed on who to support and who not to support.

The other train of thought is to get out of the program all together and sell all of your equipment. Did I recently see a ruling by the COA stating that a person could use the AD with or without a card?!

One question for our senate rep's...

Once you have ask them to vote no and they give you the " I am going to vote yes, I think this is good for Michigan rhetoric. Then ask them f they are up for re election.

Whahahahahaha :angry:

Would this be a good time to tell your elected official that you won't be voting for them this year?

I just wanted to point out on those bills that it seems people do not understand how the government works. Mostof the bills mentioned were passed out of committee last year. When passed out of committee, they go back to the "floor" and sit there until taken up, if ever. Most of those bills have been sitting there on the agenda for months and months now. Someone just happened to notice them i guess. But we have covered all of those bills here on the forum before/during and after committee hearings. The ones where VV was made to look foolish by Jones and Jones acted a complete donkey etc.

So, any of those bills could be taken up anytime. Same happened in the House where they sat on the bills after 1st reading for several more weeks.

So, yes, those bills suck and everyone should oppose them. But they have been around for a long long time and sitting in the exact same spot; some for over a year now.

It is the House Bills that have legs. Those are currently in the Senate Judiciary COmmittee and likely to have public testimony in the next 3 weeksish. Once passed out of committee, they will be in the same que as all of those other bills in the first post of this thread.

As i understand, the 2 bills from the Senate that are being pushed the hardest of those bills are the taking glaucoma off the qualifying conditions and making it so ALL felons cannot be caregivers. They will hopefully not pass the House.

The ALL felons one is already passed the Senate and sits in the House Judiciary committee.

It gets a little confusing when ya have 30 bills floating around in different stages of attention or being ignored.

It is important to call your Senators and let them know you oppose all of the bills dealing with medical marijuana because they are not there to improve the program but to enable prosecution.

:-)

So yes, call!

But there are about 30 bills sitting out there in different stages of passage.

Heres an easy way to find bills.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(0wbroe45raarrifoajdv2xnp))/mileg.aspx?page=Bills

Just type in "marihuana" into the keywords search area.

This will get you links to 98% of the bills that effect medical marijuana. There is a couple that slip by because they do not directly target medical marijuana, but may effect medical marijuana in some fashion.( i.e. Drug testing Welfare recipients)

You can simply click the bill and it will tell you what has or has not happened witht he bill, what committee it is, whether it is on the floor now, passed by one house etc.

Like most everyone I stay well with in my numbers both on count and weight yet I'm afraid, very afraid of my own government. Just where they want me huh. Well, that is sad. I'm not to afraid to reach out to anyone who is running against the heartless politicians and asking how I can help. 3MA, it is your responsibility (if not, it should be) to keep us well informed on who to support and who not to support.

The other train of thought is to get out of the program all together and sell all of your equipment. Did I recently see a ruling by the COA stating that a person could use the AD with or without a card?!

I second that notion!

Would this be a good time to tell your elected official that you won't be voting for them this year?

We will need a tracking post to see who supports us and who does not as for the state's reps go. Then come November we lower the boom and hand out pink slips.

Yeah once you have an answer to the question " how do you plan to vote " Then you can make your statement ether in support of them or not in support of their re election.

With a reminder that it is said that one person knows at least 100 other people and a word carries a lot of weight with them.. :geek:

Yes indeed Picbook,

I am going to put on my prognostications hat.

These bills will be passed through the senate. Your patient status for Will be known to every police officer who pulls up behind you.

Good luck with that.

Ok now I've taken my hat off.

To those that will call, write and email.

Good luck I hope you have a better response from your senator then I received from my Rep.

A clarification from Chris Chiles, the originator of the message:

I can clarify this.. These bills are on the Senate floor in the sense that they can be read at any moment. They have come out of committee so they will be voted on at some point. However, like I said in my first e-mail, they are in the "general order" for reading. Perhaps some of them have been there for several months..some like 974 and 977 appeared more recently. But we need to continually fight against these bills by notifying our Senators to vote NO. The urgency I wrote of yesterday was to raise attention, in getting everyone to contact their Senators. There could be a time when these bills move and there is limited time to voice our opinions to the Senators. Contacting their staff offices the day they have already decided to the vote on the issue may be "too late", and there are moments when our community does not always get the message in time (perhaps sometimes intentionally by the legislators).

The real threat will indeed be the four House Bills, once they move through the Judiciary committee.

Good advice and you do not have to ever say your a patient but that your a concerned individual who has come to their viewpoint after speaking with others on the issue . Nobody need ever devulge their a patient to anyone if they don't want to . It is normal to be honest and forget how terrible patients on cannabis are often treated by society . We are changing that hopefully with as little conflict as possible . God Bless .