W.va. Medical Marijuana Bill Building Steam, Advocates Say

bobandtorey

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- Advocates for a bill that would let West Virginians use marijuana for medicinal purposes have begun the first public push on the long road to cementing it as a law.

Delegate Mike Manypenny, D-Taylor, held the bill's first informational forum Tuesday evening in the House of Delegates chambers, giving state experts a chance to tout the benefits of the drug and for the public to ask questions about the logistics of essentially allowing sick people to buy it from the government.

"These laws will be reformed," legislative analyst Matt Simon said. "West Virginia will reach the point where people understand if we're not going to make marijuana legal for adults, we at least need to make exceptions for the seriously ill."

Manypenny drafted a bill in January that would allow a person to get a registration card from the Department of Health and Human Resources to buy marijuana from a state licensed distribution or "compassion center".

People seeking a registration card must have a written recommendation from a doctor and sign a statement pledging not to give or sell marijuana to anyone who does not have a card. Patients with a registration card would be immune from arrest as long as they did not have more than six ounces of the drug, according to the bill.

The bill is based on dozens of studies that found marijuana helps alleviate pain for people who have chronic illnesses and debilitating medical conditions like cancer, multiple sclerosis and AIDS.

States are not required to enforce federal law or prosecute people for engaging in activities prohibited by federal law, the bill states.

Dr. Paul Clancy, a former emergency room physician at Charleston Area Medical Center, said that in the years he has been practicing medicine, he has seen only four patients who claimed to have an ailment caused by marijuana.

http://wvgazette.com/News/201212110181

buy marijuana from a state licensed distribution or "compassion center" Here we go again,,,If they can sell me clean cannabis oil for 30 bucks an OZ i am all for it,, and buds for 5 bucks an oz with sun shine they the state can produce it for that price,,, hell the Mexicans can get you buds for 50 an oz in Tucson,,, and they have to smuggle that in,,,

they see the legalization writing on the wall.

trying to go restricted medical instead.

like what california did almost full decrim to take the wind out of the legalization movement.

it worked there, maybe it works in WV.

i think its the feds pushing for medical, when its legalized, they cant enforce it.

what an odd switch this has become!!!

Maybe i can sign up or start a web site

Website... I like that

West virginia, being a simular climate to marijauna producing regions of afganistan(i mean the highest quality mj producing regions), could produce alot of high quality medicine at a very low cost, if growing(outdoor) was allowed. nice n mountainous with a bit more humidity.