Obama Has Legal Authority To Kill Americans On Us Soil

1lluminated1

Holder: Yep, Obama could kill Americans on U.S. soil

President Barack Obama has the legal authority to unleash deadly force—such as drone strikes—against Americans on U.S. soil without first putting them on trial, Attorney General Eric Holder wrote in a letterreleased Tuesday.

But Holder, writing to Republican Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky, underlined that Obama “has no intention” of targeting his fellow citizens with unmanned aerial vehicles and would do so only if facing “an extraordinary circumstance.”

Paul had asked the Obama administration on Feb. 20 whether the president "has the power to authorize lethal force, such as a drone strike, against a U.S. citizen on U.S. soil and without trial." On Tuesday, he denounced Holder's response as “frightening” and “an affront to the Constitutional due process rights of all Americans.”

“The U.S. government has not carried out drone strikes in the United States and has no intention of doing so,” Holder assured Paul in the March 4, 2013 letter. The attorney general also underlined that “we reject the use of military force where well-established law enforcement authorities in this country provide the best means for incapacitating a terrorist threat.”

Holder added: “The question you have posed is therefore entirely hypothetical, unlikely to occur, and one we hope no President will ever have to confront."

Read more at: http://news.yahoo.co...--politics.html

Edited by 1lluminated1

http://www.dailymail...ing-attack.html

White House calls drone strikes against Americans on U.S. soil 'legal,' 'ethical' and 'wise' - even without evidence of a pending attack

• The U.S. government can order the killing of American citizens if they are believed to be ‘senior operational leaders’ of Al Qaeda or ‘an associated force,' the memo states
  • The U.S. government can do so even if there is no clear evidence that the American targeted is engaged in an active plot to attack the U.S.
  • NBC reported the news after obtaining and releasing the memo
  • The Justice Department told MailOnline that it would not comment on the news

The Commander in Chief has always had the power to use deadly force on American soil under the right circumstances. This is nothing new. Remember 9-11 when fighter jets were scrambled to intercept airplanes? I bet that if they had the time/chance they would have shot down some commercial airliners. Now, with hindsight, I'd give you 2:1 odds that it would happen should a similar circumstance arise.

Paul ends filibuster after nearly 13 hours

Escalating his war with the administration over civil liberties and drone strikes, Sen. Rand Paul took to the Senate floor today to engage in a rare talking filibuster in opposition to CIA nominee John Brennan.

I will do everything I can to stop him, and I told him I will filibuster it,” Paul said Sunday night. “Unfortunately, I am not enough. You know, it takes 41. And we could not hold 41 together on the Hagel nomination. So my guess is I will not get 41.”

This afternoon, he made good on that promise, declaring on the floor that he is filibustering Brennan and would speak at the podium as long as he could. In the modern era, senators don’t actually need to speak on the Senate floor to filibuster, but some do it as an added protest, most famously Sen. Bernie Sanders in 2010.

Attorney General Eric Holder told Paul in a letter released this week that the U.S. government theoretically has the power to kill people on American soil, but only in extraordinary circumstances.

Paul called out liberals for loudly opposing President Bush on civil liberties, but then acquiescing when it comes to Obama. “Where was the cacophony that rose up to demand to the Bush administration get a judge to approve a wiretap?” They don’t seem to care that “you don’t need a judge to kill someone,” he said.

UPDATE: About four hours after it started, Democratic Sen. Ron Wyden, joined Paul’s filibuster. “I think Senator Paul and I agree that this nomination provides a very good opportunity to consider and take a close look at the rules on targeted killing,” Wyden said on the Senate floor. The Oregonian has been a vocal critic of the administration’s secrecy on drones and other issues, and often pushes the White House on civil liberties beyond what most Democrats are comfortable doing.

Read More:http://www.salon.com/2013/03/07/rand_paul_filibustering_brennan/