What About The Low-Income People?

tricharious

The system is now set up so that dispensaries are illegal as well as farmers markets and P2P transfers. This makes it impossible for caregivers to be able to afford to give their patients free meds. So what do low income patients do who can't afford 200+ an oz? Some patients live on disability and certainly can't afford the high prices of meds.

Its not the caregivers faults for having to ask for high donations since they have no where else to go.

But are the days over of finding generous caregivers that offer at least some free meds and possibly income based donations?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what this person speaks of is pure fantasy. no one is in need!

Ok so ya this is the situation i spoke of in the other thread. Now i warned people for years about this free meds thing. My biggest issue is all the not so low income people taking free meds, while cost were passed on to those using disp. Now weather or not i liked this arrangement it happened, happened a lot. These are just some of the people left out in the rain now.

It might be good to ask a family member or close friend if they will grow for you, that can also be a good solution for some people.

but before they die....what do u suggest?

and what makes you think that the fam member knows how to grow? he doesnt have meds now, no clue on how to make rso. no chance of a good strain thats years down the road.... so now what do these imaginary people do today?

Low income people could grow their own...or so it has been suggested...but it takes resources and money to grow your own. I am low income myself and often feel like a charity case when contacting caregivers due to my inability to afford what they need for donations and a lot of them are just struggling to keep the lights on. But it puts people like me in a bad place, not being able to find medication. I'm sure if people look hard enough they can find caregivers who are able to offer free meds but it doesn't appear to be an easy task.

I feel like I missed the boat now that dispensaries aren't around to help caregivers.

A patient can get into a small personal grow at a small cost and is the best choice for a patient, especially the lowest income patients. Now it is not do able by everyone but if the opertunity is there that is the best avenue. I do also agree that many patients will now have to come out of there comfort zone and try and meet a caregiver. Hopefully those that are in that position will find a comforting caregiver.

Best of luck and Best of health.....

A patient can get into a small personal grow at a small cost and is the best choice for a patient, especially the lowest income patients. Now it is not do able by everyone but if the opertunity is there that is the best avenue. I do also agree that many patients will now have to come out of there comfort zone and try and meet a caregiver. Hopefully those that are in that position will find a comforting caregiver.

Best of luck and Best of health.....

In my years of being a cg ive had a couple free ones, as i do now. i have to say i think you are way off. for the poorest, most desperate, growing isnt anything like an option. the first two pts i took for free....one had pancreatic cancer, the other had 3 types of cancer.  both were sick and disabled long before i came in the picture. these people couldnt afford to eat, or pay their rent etc. where do you suggest these people get the money to grow? i understand you can grow with ten dollars worth of cfls and a seed out of a dime you got on the street, but thats not meds, nor is it enough. Those lil cfl grows wont get you one batch of rso. If you can show me a sound plan , a real way fine. but its just a wishful thinking to tell people that.

Even though I'm low income and disabled I really don't feel like I deserve free meds .its not like I am terminal in any way. I am certified for chronic knee pain. I simply have no means of affording mess being on disability. Growing is not something I can afford either.

I Feel like there should be a resource online like a community forum for patients and caregivers especially low income patients.

The only solution for the lowest income peple is to get medicaid to pay for it.  Nothing is free.  I can setup a small patient grow for about $250 with pots full and clones from their caregiver and running a perpetual cycle.

MOST patients do not need or use hash oil. The VAST majority do not.

But yea,... i know many CG's that help low income patients all the time.  I ask CG's if they have 3-4 patients to take on a low income person thatthey can help for free or near to free as possible or teach them to help themselves.

Dispensaries are completely unable to help all these poor patients too. I do not see dispensaries giving away medicine for free to around 40% of their patients who qualify for the State discount for being poor.  Just aint happening.

So, medicaid is the only true answer.  We can minimize the need for as many as possible within the system we have.  And that is all you can do.

Some will fall through the cracks. Period.  No system or plan will stop everyone from falling through either.

So i find this argument to be baseless to point one way or the other honestly.  Look to New jersey to see how dispensaries fail ten times worse than the home growing pt/cg system. 

No perfect answers.  Even when fully legalized across the country,... poor people will fall through the cracks.

Medicaid doesn't pay for mmj. I'm on full Medicaid and it won't cover anything to do with my mmj cert. The only real solution is to find a compassionate caregiver that will work with you if you're low income. The real problem that needs a solution is how to bring low income patients together with caregivers who can afford to accommodate said patients. But how and where?

mal your missing the point. you guys are so caught up in your agenda your refusing to look at reality. life is not disp or no disp...fek disp fek talking about em....how do we help these people? its all about compassion as long as we can ignore those who really need it? I too know plenty of cg that took on free people, and they are dropping em left and right. there is no avenue for the extras, no means to recoup your expenses. the system isnt helping those that need it. we need to stop pretending like there are not people suffering and work towards a way of assisting them. Disp are not the answer, ignoring suffering people so as you can stand on your soap box screaming "no disp needed here" isnt helping either. fine disp sucks....lets figure out a way to make this work. instead of acting like there is no problem.

Even though I'm low income and disabled I really don't feel like I deserve free meds .its not like I am terminal in any way. I am certified for chronic knee pain. I simply have no means of affording mess being on disability. Growing is not something I can afford either.

I Feel like there should be a resource online like a community forum for patients and caregivers especially low income patients.

If you cannot afford to grow it, you cannot afford to buy it.

Do you mean to say you can't do he work?

In my years of being a cg ive had a couple free ones, as i do now. i have to say i think you are way off. for the poorest, most desperate, growing isnt anything like an option. the first two pts i took for free....one had pancreatic cancer, the other had 3 types of cancer. both were sick and disabled long before i came in the picture. these people couldnt afford to eat, or pay their rent etc. where do you suggest these people get the money to grow? i understand you can grow with ten dollars worth of cfls and a seed out of a dime you got on the street, but thats not meds, nor is it enough. Those lil cfl grows wont get you one batch of rso. If you can show me a sound plan , a real way fine. but its just a wishful thinking to tell people that.

I think these are the kind of issues that compassion clubs should and do take on. Maybe a non profit similar to habitat for humanity for building and outfitting grow rooms would help.

Ideally I would be growing more and providing extras at the FM so my patients could enjoy free meds. It is a great system and many that continue to do it are imo an asset to the community. Unfortunately I am not willing to take on the extra risk right now.

For those that repeatedly try to scare folks getting free meds by saying when their caregiver gets arrested they will come for the patients please show me the case.

If I was a low income patient that needed help I would start at a local compassion club and if I couldn't get a hand I would head to an FM and find a caregiver there if possible.

If my current patients were not low income themselves I would go lower than what I offered you via our pm discussion  but they are in your same situation my powerbill was $432 this month and to be honest if I wasn't in need of medicine myself id likely be looking to get out of caregiving and growing altogether times are tough all over .

Becoming a caregiver wouldn't work for someone on disability because it would be considered income and would most likely affect the individuals disability status. For example I'm on Ssi and if I make too much money I can lose my health insurance.

I know people on SSI who can earn up to $900 per month without losing eligibility.