What About The Low-Income People?

tricharious

I’ve always said that the process we have is one of apartheid. It is a process where those who truly have those voted upon health issues, and who qualify for the discount registration; are the one least able to afford the fruits of the system.

Hmmm, the vast majority of the voting public is middle class.  I don't think those who voted can be pigeon-holed  in the manner you have.

edited to add:  I don't think the LARA stats bear that out either.  I don't know the exact percentage of reduced cost registrations but it is well under those who pay full cost.  I think Malamute probably has those stats on hand.

Edited by CaveatLector

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve always said that the process we have is one of apartheid. It is a process where those who truly have those voted upon health issues, and who qualify for the discount registration; are the one least able to afford the fruits of the system.

The poor get the short end of the stick in every situation that I can think of. Why does anyone think that medical cannabis will be any different? Do you get free bread at the supermarket?

I have yet to meet a caregiver that doesn't eventually say, "I'm just trying to make a little money".

Yet, apparently no one makes any money at all. They're all doing it just to be nice.

Patients who say, "I'm poor so you should give me a free oz. every month". Yet, they are upset because the dispensaries, the folks who charged them $400 an oz, were declared to be illegal.

Does it seem to you folks that someone is either out of touch with reality or is maybe stretching the truth a little? (I was going to say full of sh*t but I'm trying to be polite.)

+1

The poor get the short end of the stick in every situation that I can think of. Why does anyone think that medical cannabis will be any different? Do you get free bread at the supermarket?

I have yet to meet a caregiver that doesn't eventually say, "I'm just trying to make a little money".

Yet, apparently no one makes any money at all. They're all doing it just to be nice.

Patients who say, "I'm poor so you should give me a free oz. every month". Yet, they are upset because the dispensaries, the folks who charged them $400 an oz, were declared to be illegal.

Does it seem to you folks that someone is either out of touch with reality or is maybe stretching the truth a little? (I was going to say full of sh*t but I'm trying to be polite.)

Thanks for the polite part.

The main reason I'm upset that dispensaries closed isn't because of the access to medication it's because now caregivers have no one to sell overages to, thus preventing them from being able to take on low-income patients. 

Dispensaries are outrageously priced in my opinion. 

Hmmm, the vast majority of the voting public is middle class.  I don't think those who voted can be pigeon-holed  in the manner you have.

edited to add:  I don't think the LARA stats bear that out either.  I don't know the exact percentage of reduced cost registrations but it is well under those who pay full cost.  I think Malamute probably has those stats on hand.

Well, it depends in what form ya describe middle class(tri's,quintiles) and the "caveat" that it is a 'voting' determination, i would say , yes,...middle class votes the most. :-)  <smartazz>

The first year of the program we were at 56% recieved discount for application.  It has slowly been dropping and i do not have the updated numbers yet. But by progression of where we werei would say we are somewhere between 40-44% of all patients in the program recieve discounted rate.

It is much higher than i would have even thought. But most sick azz people are broke azz and poor because they cant work etc etc etc.

:-)

p.s.-  2010 was i believe 51%... and 2011 was 46ish%.

I know at least 5 CGs who have low-income patients who get free meds.  None of these guys sold to dispensaries.  Keep looking.  Compassionate CGs are definitely out there.  If you are truly in need, I'm sure someone will step up to the plate and help.

i know double that who did.... i know 7 pts in midland county dropping from program, no way to pay for meds or to renew. you can claim you know so and so...big deal everyone knows someone. if your buddies are providing all those meds for free... they are selling illegally . someones paying the power bill

If someone can't even afford the $25 to register with the state,.... what are we supposed to do?  Some will help them out and pay for their registration out of generosity,... maybe a physician will give them a free recomendation.... but, that is charity work and i would hope everyone does what they can to help, but ya can't help everyone. 

i know double that who did.... i know 7 pts in midland county dropping from program, no way to pay for meds or to renew. you can claim you know so and so...big deal everyone knows someone. if your buddies are providing all those meds for free... they are selling illegally . someones paying the power bill

Becoming a caregiver wouldn't work for someone on disability because it would be considered income and would most likely affect the individuals disability status. For example I'm on Ssi and if I make too much money I can lose my health insurance.

The way i read the mma act u are not allowed to make money jyst recoop the cost involved. So u would not have to report income cause there should be none

Edited by free country 420

Dead wrong.  I recall a meeting of about six CGs back in the summer of '09.  We all agreed to take on at least one low-income patient for free....and to tell our other patients that they were paying maybe a little more for meds to help carry one or two poor folks.  Any prospective patient I have talked to gets this same message...and in EVERY case, the patient willingly, if not gladly, signed up knowing he was helping carry the load.  So you can sit there at your keyboard and say what you will, but it really does seem like you live in a microcosm of selfish people because I just don't see what you say you see.

You just had to find a caregiver that WAS selling to dispensaries. Not ALL were. The dispensaries were selling meds from Cali and Colorado (not a rumor but true) bypassing MI meds.. why ? bulk prices?

The main reason I'm upset that dispensaries closed isn't because of the access to medication it's because now caregivers have no one to sell overages to, thus preventing them from being able to take on low-income patients. 

Dead wrong.  I recall a meeting of about six CGs back in the summer of '09.  We all agreed to take on at least one low-income patient for free....and to tell our other patients that they were paying maybe a little more for meds to help carry one or two poor folks.  Any prospective patient I have talked to gets this same message...and in EVERY case, the patient willingly, if not gladly, signed up knowing he was helping carry the load.  So you can sit there at your keyboard and say what you will, but it really does seem like you live in a microcosm of selfish people because I just don't see what you say you see.

no not dead wrong... people i know. you seem very confused. it is you who are unwilling to accept that a hand full of people that i know did ....whatever. your saying im narrow minded, living in some "microcosm", because i can see what you see, and more. Doesn't that seem backwards to you? Something akin to the beta accusing the goldfish of living in a bowl...

selfish people? how do you get that? so cgs grow for free for pts in need and you say that makes them greedy? i think maybe your fish bowl is too grimy for you to see straight.

Those who can pay should those who deserve a break get plenty.

Over the last 4 years I've gave away more than I've been reimbursed for I have no problem with helping the less fortunate my beef is with those who have money demanding free ounces every month to sign on with me because others get this offer this is called payment on a sliding scale not a free for all if you expect a break don't pull into our first meeting in a decked out Saleen mustang thinking I'm stupid .

I find this to be a totally misguided comment.

There is no such thing as said "overages". 

You just had to find a caregiver that WAS selling to dispensaries. Not ALL were. The dispensaries were selling meds from Cali and Colorado (not a rumor but true) bypassing MI meds.. why ? bulk prices?

I find this statement very misguided and offensive also.

Yeah, the cali and coli meds being sold is just a another one of the blood suckers profit off patients scheming.

All my statements are of my own opinion.

I think you missed his point. Cgs often take on one low income patient and the other 4 pts agree to help cover. So, selling illegally? No, I don't think that's what he meant. But speaking of selling illegally, isn't that what people were doing who sold to dispenaries? So it was okay there but, if they are selling illegally, not now?

it really does seem like you live in a microcosm of selfish people

GW you don't exactly come off as some compassionate person. Seems more like you are mad that your income source was cut off. Of course I don't know, just indicating the impression you leave in your wake.

The Cali and Colorado meds have always been here. So have the Florida and Kentucky meds. So have the Indiana and Ohio meds. The Oregon and Canadian meds are present as well. Why send money out of state when we can set up a distribution( for whomever) system here. The Dispensary serves a purpose and fills a need for many, it is undeniable.

The Cali and Colorado meds have always been here. So have the Florida and Kentucky meds. So have the Indiana and Ohio meds. The Oregon and Canadian meds are present as well. Why send money out of state when we can set up a distribution( for whomever) system here. The Dispensary serves a purpose and fills a need for many, it is undeniable.

The issue is about gaining as much ground as possible. Not trying to hold the line and falling back. Opening up as many avenues of legal conduct with the plant, as possible, is what will ultimately help the most people.

None of what you mentioned in your first post is "legal conduct".  This law was voted on by Michigan citizens for Michigan citizens. 

What is your definition of helping people?  Bringing all kinds of heat to our baby of a law while lining their pockets on the backs of the sick?  Was that "helping" people?

Edited by SFC

If the dispensary serves a purpose and fills a need for many, maybe dispensaries should include state of origin on the products they sell. Food industry does it. They should be selling MI meds only, yes?

And when you say they have always been here, I am curious how much of a presence you figure they have had? Other than personal amounts and the like I am calling BS.  Before this law and maybe even now the vast majority of MJ on the ground here in Michigan came here by way of Mexico thru Chicago.  The rest was grown right here.  Before this law there was no reason for them states to import their goods here, they have a tough enough time supplying their own markets (pre-MMJ)