Need Help Grandpa Has Cancer

Adding to the discussion about the use of naphtha.

By industry standard, naphtha includes compounds that boil at 200C (actually 205C).  This is about 392F.

So there are likely to be petroleum compounds in your "naphtha" that won't boil off until they hit 392F

At what temperature does THC evaporate?  200C or 392F

So in order to be sure you purge, purge, purge, your oil to get the hydrocarbons out, so goes your THC

Don't use naphtha.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE: HE IS NOW CERTIFIED AND BEEN TAKING LARGE AMOUNTS OF 190 EXTRACT AND EDIBLE DESERTS FOR 6 DAYS. HE SEEMED VERY HAPPY AND COMFORTABLE UNTIL THE HOSPICE DOC FORCED HIM TO TAKE  MORPHINE. HE TOLD THE DOC HE WANTED IT "AS NEEDED" BUT  DOC AND NURSED WOULDN'T STOP INSISTING HE TAKE IT ALL THE TIME. NOW HE IS TALKING CRAZY AND LOOKS UNCOMFORTABLE.  WE ARE TRYING TO FIGURE OUT A WAY TO PROVIDE THE CARE HE NEEDS AT HOME. AGAIN ANYONE WHO HAS BEEN THROUGH THIS   I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE.  THX EVERYONE FOR YOUR TIME.

Having dealt with a close family member during a period of serious medical crisis, I understand how difficult it can be. Working with doctors that do not listen is common. It can be hard to get on the same page with some of  them. Home health care is expensive, and if you provide it yourself, hard in the extreme.

The best I could do was to take it one day at a time, which is not to say that constant stress was not an issue. It's tough. Good luck.

So to say that butane is a form of naphthalene is completely false.  They are different compounds that can be extracted from the same material.  But I can take a jug of 50/50 antifreeze and boil off the water and leave the ethylene glycol behind.  That doesn't mean that water is a form of glycol.  Butane is not a form of naphtha. 

Simply because you say so?

Butane is simply one of the crude oil fractions. One of the first fractions that comes off.

It's all crude oil split off according to their boiling points.

This is the important part:  When you distill at high temperatures, you get more impurities.  The butane boils off quickly at about -30F and takes just about nothing with it.

That would mean that distilling it seven times is a worthless effort ..

every solvent has it's impurities.

Simply because you say so?

Butane is simply one of the crude oil fractions. One of the first fractions that comes off.

It's all crude oil split off according to their boiling points.

Not because I say so.  Butane is extracted from crude oil.  Naphtha is extracted from crude oil.  Naptha and butane are different compounds. 

CBD is extracted from cannabis.  THC is extracted from cannabis.  Does this mean that CDB is a form of THC.  Gimme a break

That would mean that distilling it seven times is a worthless effort ..

every solvent has it's impurities.

You obviously don't understand the science behind this.  There are two very good reasons to distill multiple times.  One reason is that solvents don't just vaporize at their boiling point.  They also evaporate at temperatures lower than their boiling point.  So while your solvent is sitting there boiling at 1C, the butane is boiling off and trace concentrations of heavier compounds are also evaporating.  The second good reason is that unless you're using $250,000 in lab equipment, there is no way for you to distill at exact temperatures to properly isolate these compounds.

But really none of this matters, because you're being the same ol' PB as always.  You post something that has issues, someone points out the obvious problem, and instead of learning from it and trying to contribute to the discussion in a positive way, you attack facts and qualified opinions.

Fact #1.  The industry standard definition of naphtha includes the crude oil compounds that boil at 205 degrees Celcius

Fact #2.  THC boils at 200 degrees celcius

Fact #3.  If you purge your solvent by boiling at less  than 200C, you will have loads of petroleum left behind

Fact #4.  If you purge your solvent by boiling at over 205C you will boil away your THC.

So how about you try to help people out by letting them know the dangers of extracting with naphtha???

Deal?

Not because I say so.  Butane is extracted from crude oil.  Naphtha is extracted from crude oil.  Naptha and butane are different compounds. 

CBD is extracted from cannabis.  THC is extracted from cannabis.  Does this mean that CDB is a form of THC.  Gimme a break

I think that I would agree that you can't get AR grade "naphtha." "Naphtha" isn't a single substance.

"N-Hexal Naphtha" Would tell us that that naphtha contained mostly Hexane.

There are clearly more sections of naphtha. Those sections segregated by bp. Butane is simply one of the sections segregated by boiling point.

That said, AR grade butane could be interesting to find and expensive.

Perhaps you would agree more quickly if I were to say they are both hydrocarbons extracted from crude oil.

The name Naphtha can nearly be used as a name for crude oil.

I think peanut's point here is that you shouldn't call it RSO unless you use the more dangerous method involving naptha.  He can correct me if I'm wrong but I think he is warning people that RSO is less pure, and therefore more dangerous, than other methods.

:thumbsu:

Ummm .. I think it is more dangerous to use the Butane for extracting.

Nearly ALL explosions that take place when making cannabis extractions, are because of using butane.

OH .. please note my comment about brain damage from butane.

There are pros and cons for any solvent.

The safest method for doing cannabis extractions is ice water extractions. Zero flammable solvent involved.

Edited by peanutbutter

Let me isolate this:

You are more likely to blow up your house with butane than naphtha.

If you don't get all the butane out, the butane itself will cause brain damage.

If you have a gram or 2 of honey oil any residual butane will likely vaporize naturally before you even use the oil.  Remember, butane vaporizes at just under 32 degrees F.  So pretty much the only thing left would be some of the impurities in the butane.

If you have a gram or 2 of honey oil any residual butane will likely vaporize naturally before you even use the oil.  Remember, butane vaporizes at just under 32 degrees F.  So pretty much the only thing left would be some of the impurities in the butane.

And unpurged butane will shred brain matter.

And unpurged butane will shred brain matter 

Any unpurged butane will leave the honey oil pretty quickly if the oil isn't stored under pressure. 

Alcohol will shred your brain matter faster than the elusive leftover butane in honey oil.  So will smog for that matter.  Do you present in public wearing a respirator?

I think that I would agree that you can't get AR grade "naphtha." "Naphtha" isn't a single substance.

"N-Hexal Naphtha" Would tell us that that naphtha contained mostly Hexane.

There are clearly more sections of naphtha. Those sections segregated by bp. Butane is simply one of the sections segregated by boiling point.

That said, AR grade butane could be interesting to find and expensive.

Perhaps you would agree more quickly if I were to say they are both hydrocarbons extracted from crude oil.

The name Naphtha can nearly be used as a name for crude oil.

"naphtha" cannot accurately be used as a name for crude oil.  Naptha is the fraction of crude oil that boils between about 30C and 205C.  That means that the stuff that boils away at lower temperatures (butane, propane, etc.) isn't naphtha.  And the stuff that boils off above 205C (kerosene, tar, etc.) isn't naphtha either.

Why are you saying I might agree more quickly if you say "they are both hydrocarbons extracted from crude oil"  I have already said that they are both hydrocarbons extracted from crude oil.  So I do agree with that, because it is a correct statement.  This is standard PB MO.  Get into an argument and then change what you're arguing so you look like you started out correct.

You are correct in that naptha contains a whole range of compounds.  But if you read what I already wrote, you'd see that I said that already.  And this whole range of compounds includes what?  and in what concentrations?  Is the naphtha you bought off the shelf a light naphtha (boiling point of 30C to 100C) or does it include the other compounds with boiling points up to 205C.  The fact that naptha contains a range of compounds and that many of them have a high boiling point is precisely the problem with using "naphtha."

What I just can't fathom is that you get on here and tell people to be safe but you just can't seem to grasp that "naphtha" can/is likely to contain petroleum compounds that are not boiled off until AFTER your THC boils off.  This discussion needs to surface every time someone discusses using naphtha or making "RSO."

Using hardware store naphtha to extract your cannabis means that you are just about guaranteed to have petroleum residue in your extract.  Don't you get that?

I'm not sure why I'm trying so hard to get you to understand this.  I think maybe you already do but you're pretending.   That's fine.

Speaking of hexane - you might know that it is used widely in the food industry to extract oil....and that there are numerous studies showing significant, residual hexane in the final products....so much so that there is a push in the industry right now to switch to a product with a lower boiling point.

Let me isolate this:

You are more likely to blow up your house with butane than naphtha.

If you don't get all the butane out, the butane itself will cause brain damage.

You are also more likely to die in a car accident if you drive or ride in a car.  ESPECIALLY when you don't follow the rules of the road.  So rather than discourage car use let us ENCOURAGE the observation of traffic safety laws, ay?  Do you bicycle everywhere you go?  I doubt it.  Do you wear a helmet while driving?  I doubt it.  And why not?  It would be safer!!!!

So instead of trying to scare people away from performing an extraction that is medically safer how about you try and encourage proper protocol when performing the extraction.  How many people have "blown themselves up" in Michigan whilst performing a butane extraction?

You are teaching people to blow themselves up.

Do you use this same line of reasoning when it comes to gun control?  Statistics show that a gun owned in a private household is more likely to be used in a domestic violence incident or murder of a family member than for personal protection from intruders.  That being the case should we ban all guns or maybe just teach gun safety?

Do you use this same line of reasoning when it comes to gun control?  Statistics show that a gun owned in a private household is more likely to be used in a domestic violence incident or murder of a family member than for personal protection from intruders.  That being the case should we ban all guns or maybe just teach gun safety?

no I don't.

You are also more likely to die in a car accident if you drive or ride in a car.  ESPECIALLY when you don't follow the rules of the road.  So rather than discourage car use let us ENCOURAGE the observation of traffic safety laws, ay?  Do you bicycle everywhere you go?  I doubt it.  Do you wear a helmet while driving?  I doubt it.  And why not?  It would be safer!!!!

So these butane people need to teach safety here.

If they are going to promote their method as "safer" they NEED to include instructions to avoid blowing themselves up.

So these butane people need to teach safety here.

If they are going to promote their method as "safer" they NEED to include instructions to avoid blowing themselves up.

Have these "butane people" even taught extraction methods here?  Is there a thread on this of which I am unaware?  If so did they NOT include safety instructions?  Saying the words "butane extraction" isn't teaching butane extraction is it? 

If I say "I drive a car" do I also need to teach you how to drive one safely lest you run out and start driving based on my statement?  If I say "I own a gun" should I qualify that with safety instructions as well?  You're grasping at straws peanut.  Everyone here knows you have a boner for Rick Simpson.  You name drop as much as you can and act as if he was your old jr high best bud.  Let me guess--did you share some sort of "stand by me" moment with him when you were 8?  I doubt it.  I think it is more like you think if you name drop enough then it makes you joe cool.  Rick Simpson is your justin beiber.

Hey peanut, I own a gun.

Never point a gun at someone unless you intend to shoot them.

Always treat a gun as if it is loaded.

Never put your finger on the trigger unless you intend to squeeze it.

Store your gun out of reach of youngsters and those not taught proper gun safety.

Store your ammo in a separate location from your gun.

Use a trgger lock.

Is that good enough for you or do you want to add more disclaimers?