August 3- Date Concentrates/edibles Become Illegal?

21 days from coa ruling. Someone (whose understanding of the law I find suspect) insisted it wasn't til aug 3 that concentrates/edibles become illegal. Their reasoning is that is the time frame for an appeal to be filed. I don't recall anyone saying the Koon coa case wasn't effective immediately

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(k) "Usable marihuana" means the dried leaves and flowers of the marihuana plant, and any mixture or preparation thereof

From what i understand they cannot tell how much cannabis is in your pound of butter,... so your over the limit,,,,,,,

(k) "Usable marihuana" means the dried leaves and flowers of the marihuana plant, and any mixture or preparation thereof

2,5  oz  limit  no pound of butter,  

Not the way i read it,,   2,5 oz   what ever it is   if you have a pound of butter your over they do not know how much cannabis is in it  Hash ,, hash oil ..you can just weight it,,   Hash oil Hash is covered if you do not exceed the 2,5     butter  cookies  brownies  ext,  they say they have no way of knowing how much is in it ,, so no protections over the 2,5 limit   , that is they way i read it,,, anyway.

Edited by cristinew

21 days from coa ruling. Someone (whose understanding of the law I find suspect) insisted it wasn't til aug 3 that concentrates/edibles become illegal. Their reasoning is that is the time frame for an appeal to be filed. I don't recall anyone saying the Koon coa case wasn't effective immediately

You had good reason to find their understanding of the law suspect because they are wrong.  The COA opinion tells us that you do not have protection for anything that is not "usable marijuana."  That means you didn't have protection from day 1 of the med. mj act.  They have been, and continue to be, "illegal."

Better cut down the plants they are not usable and illegal now   I guess our law is over with,, 

Aweome idea!  Throw the baby out with the bath water.

As Zap stated, plants are protected.  Usable material is defined, in part, as the dried leaves and flowers.  "Any mixture thereof," means a mixture containing the dried leaves and/or flowers.  Oil contains neither.  It only contains PART of the dried leaves and/or flowers.

The way out of this is to argue that oil is a "preparation" of the dried leaves and/or flowers but such a preparation is also protected.  That is why either 1) Carruthers needs to go to the Supremes or 2) The legislature needs to change the law.

What, then, are the mixtures and preparations thereof that the law protects?

Because the definition of usable marijuana is found in sec. 3 definitions, would that not also apply to sec. 8?

Sec. 8 doesn't  use the term "usable marijuana" so it isn't relevant in that section.  It uses the term, "marijuana" which, for purposes of the MMA, is defined by the Pub. Health Code.

Sec. 8 doesn't  use the term "usable marijuana" so it isn't relevant in that section.  It uses the term, "marijuana" which, for purposes of the MMA, is defined by the Pub. Health Code.

Whew! Sec. 8 wins again.

How about that?

Edited by GregS