How Much Were You Able To Reduce Your Pain Meds With Mm

Need some real life evidence on how mm was able to reduce or eliminate your use of opiate pain medication. I know each persons experiences are different, but Im trying to figure out  what  efficacy to reasonably expect for my husband. Not looking for a miracle for him just hoping to decrease the amount of pain meds he is using and give him a better day!

Also how often to you have to use the mm to get good pain control. I know every drug is different [aka Advil lasts lots longer than Tylenol].

Thanks in advance for your responses - this is a great forum with some pretty good people :)

I have so far decreased my opiates by more than half the dose I was on, and I have been on increasingly higher doses over the last 8 years or so. I have an awesome caregiver who grows specific strains that help the pain, help me sleep, etc. I am not very knowledgeable about the specifics, but can tell you it really does help more than the drugs, and without the ugly side effects. I'm in the process of weaning off the narcotics, and so far so good.

Hope it helps!

I was in the hospital for three months this year. In May I was being given oxycodone, dilaudid, atavan, Norco, restoril, morphine and had a fentanyl patch. They were pumping me with so much dope I was hallucinating. By June I was down to oxycodone, fentanyl and an occasional restoril.

When I got home in July and was able to use cannabis again I only had to take 1 or 2 oxycodone the first week. Now it's nothing but cannabis and maybe a naprosyn now and then.

I use edibles made from the flowers and topicals made from the roots.

"In 1889, an article by Dr. E. A. Birch in The Lancet, then as now one of the world's leading medical journals, outlined the application of cannabis for the treatment of opium and chloral hydrate withdrawal symptoms: the mixture reduced the opium craving and acted as an anti-emetic [drug that is effective against vomiting and nausea]."

Martin Booth - Cannabis: A History, 2005

Edited by Wild Bill

Does ingesting edibles work better for pain than smoking?

I think it does. It definitely seems stronger and lasts a long time. But the initial onset is of course much slower.

Due to issues with my lungs I have no choice in the matter though. I'd love to smoke a bowl of hash again but it's not going to happen.

Need some real life evidence on how mm was able to reduce or eliminate your use of opiate pain medication. I know each persons experiences are different, but Im trying to figure out  what  efficacy to reasonably expect for my husband. Not looking for a miracle for him just hoping to decrease the amount of pain meds he is using and give him a better day!

Also how often to you have to use the mm to get good pain control. I know every drug is different [aka Advil lasts lots longer than Tylenol].

Thanks in advance for your responses - this is a great forum with some pretty good people :)

You have to be careful with edibles. I will give you an example from my own experience.

Some people recommend "decarboxylating" (sp?) cannabis by cooking it in a 300 degree oven for 15 minutes before using it for edibles. I followed the instructions and then made canna butter out of the decarboxylated material. I had previously made canna butter by just cooking the cannabis in butter and then straining it. The cookies I made from the plain canna butter were not at all strong and my patient wasn't impressed with them. The second attempt I used decarboxylated canna butter using an ounce of primo bud and I added a bit more of the butter to the cookie recipe. I licked out the bowl after making cookies, eating about a golf ball sized portion. 2 hours later it started to hit me and it didn't quit until 6-8 hours later. At one point I was stuck at my kitchen counter unable to move or speak. I ended up sitting on the floor for about 45 minutes. Now some people enjoy this type of high. I did not. I was incapacitated for 6 hours. It affected everyone who tried the cookies the same way. I ended up throwing them out.

For my third attempt at cannabis cookies, I did not decarboxylate the cannabis. I put 1 ounce of bud in 1 pound of butter and slow cooked the mixture for about 6 hours. The cookies made with this butter are OK. It is easy to get the correct dose with these cookies. You have to experiment with the amount of cookie to consume in order to get a suitable dose.

I had back surgery in 2009.  So far, knock on wood, I have been able to stop my use of Norco and Flexeril.

I am sure, that during these last 4.5 years, had I stayed on the pills, my tolerance would have gone up.  Dose would have increased.

By contrast, I am happy to report, I haven't noticed any difference in tolerance in regards to my medical marijuana.  A fattie still does the trick.