"the Medical Marijuana Community Actually Wants To Be Taxed" - R Mike Callton

t-pain

tim beck did pretty good on off the record. 

but i think he got hammered a few times. got in some great points too.

pretty rapid fire discussion with 4 people all asking questions like that.

mr beck calls 0660 a symbolic victory for prarie  plant systems.

but i think the decriminalization measures in jackson, lansing and ypsi are also only symbolic.

I actually do want to be taxed.

But I probably DON'T want what they are selling.

Simple tax stamps will do just fine. Something reasonable. Maybe 1/8 1/4 1/2 1 2 2.5 for 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 35. My tax stamps would be proof of the revenue to the IRS (yes the IRS), they'd allow me to legitimately deduct my substantial growing costs, and most likely my total tax load (and revenue lets be honest) would be low enough that the tax stamps alone would pay for my state/federal taxes. Maybe even in the first year I'd get a little money back. Maybe even give me the same rights as all other businesses - start by not plowing down the door with a battering ram if an officer smells what's happening in the greenhouse. Or at least not without first checking in with LARA to see if the business is licensed to hold marijuana.

HMMMM.... Lots to sort out it seems before they start up with the taxation.

I actually do want to be taxed.

But I probably DON'T want what they are selling.

Simple tax stamps will do just fine. Something reasonable. Maybe 1/8 1/4 1/2 1 2 2.5 for 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 35. My tax stamps would be proof of the revenue to the IRS (yes the IRS), they'd allow me to legitimately deduct my substantial growing costs, and most likely my total tax load (and revenue lets be honest) would be low enough that the tax stamps alone would pay for my state/federal taxes. Maybe even in the first year I'd get a little money back. Maybe even give me the same rights as all other businesses - start by not plowing down the door with a battering ram if an officer smells what's happening in the greenhouse. Or at least not without first checking in with LARA to see if the business is licensed to hold marijuana.

HMMMM.... Lots to sort out it seems before they start up with the taxation.

You want to be taxed why? Other medicine is not taxed in this state.

After decades of obstructing cannabis use altogether, why should the State now get in our pockets? In the recent and not so recent past, we were fined, imprisoned, and our property confiscated via civil asset forfeiture. The government screwed us every way they could imagine. The legislature recently stole $3.5M from registration proceeds to give to law enforcement with which to ride herd on us. The stuff is an easy to grow garden herb. What's next? Tax my lawn?

Edited by GregS

"medicine" is the key word. Since a written prescription is necessary to procure all controlled substance medicines, I'm not so sure this is the term the state is using currently. I've heard many terms, except that one form them. If we were growing controlled amounts of ginseng, it would be taxed like any other farm product.

I would proudly display a tax stamp, and pay, as trade for "coming out" and assuring uniformed militants don't visit in the middle of the night also.

"medicine" is the key word. Since a written prescription is necessary to procure all controlled substance medicines, I'm not so sure this is the term the state is using currently. I've heard many terms, except that one form them. If we were growing controlled amounts of ginseng, it would be taxed like any other farm product.

I would proudly display a tax stamp, and pay, as trade for "coming out" and assuring uniformed militants don't visit in the middle of the night also.

If you were to grow ginseng in your garden, you would be taxed? This is a controlled substance medicine that is not and cannot be prescribed by law. Cannabis is not grown by large scale producers. Our intention, per many, many people here and otherwise,  is to maintain the caregiver system. IF it were to be opened up for farm production, then yes, taxes that occur on those crops might be legitimate. But don't tax homegrown therapy.

Edited by GregS

I recently saw a list of hundreds of cottage industry health products, some would call medicine, not a controlled substance of course, but sold from the homes of many, each taxed.

I see your point clearly, and also wish this would have never gotten as far as a few deciding what we can eat, drink and smoke. but its a new world now, and provisioning centers are going to be taxed on their sales. Not sure how that trickles down to us, but I bet it wont be favorable.to us

not just grow, but sell. currently I cannot deduct any of my expenses, and they are high. have to hide my craft, and sneak around with it. this is not a business for me, but someday it will be for many.

If you were to grow ginseng in your garden, you would be taxed? This is a controlled substance medicine that is not and cannot be prescribed by law. Cannabis is not grown by large scale producers. Our intention, per many, many people here and otherwise,  is to maintain the caregiver system. IF it were to be opened up for farm production, then yes, taxes that occur on those crops might be legitimate. But don't tax homegrown therapy.

"I said nothing about selling, but did state that tax on income is reasonable."

Bingo man! Just make it easy on us, a simple system that favors neither the big guy nor the small guy and let capitalism work itself out. All I ask is for a fair way to pay my taxes and compete on the open market. Without the battering rams. LOL.

a tax stamp is awesome and something i have been a proponent of for a long while.

a stamp on a sealed package used ONLY FOR RESALE (emphasis added)

Greg.. they won't tax you on your Lawn :)

until you try to sell it.  if you sell Sod you have to pay sales tax....  if you just enjoy it at home it is Tax free.

FYI.. we are also one of the most active Cottage Food states still.

http://cottagefoods.org/laws/usa/michigan/