Multi-Unit Property For Caregivers

brownkheer

I acquired a large vacant multi-unit property in St Joseph county in or around Three Rivers, Michigan.  A recent deal to turn it into senior living has since died. The property has large community areas as well as over 40 units, efficiency size. 

I thought why not lease the units to caregivers to give them a secure place to operate. No living, just growing.

Is this legal? Is it something caregivers would be interested in? 

I do not live in Michigan and have no intention of moving. However I have this vacant property and I am floating ideas. I thought this might be a good place to ask. 

Edited by brownkheer

40 units? its not a good idea to soley have the building for mmj use.

also federal mandatory minimums come into play when there are more than 100 plants.

its not far from kalamazoo, you could lure caregivers from there to rent rooms.

will there be security staff on site? almost seems like a place ripe for ripping if it doesnt have security.

each room will probably need a 220v hookup and a fire supression system, venting too.

Well, they are individual units, and I would lease each unit to one caregiver. I was thinking of leasing multiple units to one caregiver, but I felt that might be stretching. 

If I did this, there would most certainly be 24 hour security. 

Venting, 220vac, and fire suppression wouldn't be an issue. I just don't want to invest, and be charged with anything illegal or go to jail. I hear the laws in Michigan are real murky. 

I am just in real estate, and I just want to lease real estate. To be honest, it more than 40 units. I am just trying to be vague so the property isn't identified. 

The only way to make $ as a c.g at this time is to sell it to people you are not connected to thru the registry or If you have pt's that are willing to buy at least 2 oz a month at 350 to 400 a zip, most pts on disablity cant afford that, I bet alot can that still work, but they know they can get it as good for 1/2 that price,

Im a pt/cg and I like to grow so I can count on myself and not anyone else, I have a realy good and fair c.g but I would much rather have my meds in my hand and at my choices....I dont make any money off of my grow, it cost me money but not 350 to 400 and oz, plus it gives me something to do!

Peace

You have a lot to consider. Given the costs to provide electrical service, ventilation, pest control, security, and any other operating costs, what do you have to charge in rents to get any real ROI? And yes, until the Feds change policy it is an unreasonable risk. That is expected to change soon by us optimists.

don't forget you'd never be able to sell the unit after all the schmucks trying to get rich growing left you with the water damage, molded surfaces, and disclosure to the future buyers. Find some seniors who need good housing, provide a viable safe environment for them to live, for best results. Imagine the security risks, police visits, raids, other criminal activity, loitering kids, etc. what a mess. Think of the dumpster out back, and the divers inside lol

I just don't want to invest, and be charged with anything illegal or go to jail. I hear the laws in Michigan are real murky. 

I am just in real estate, and I just want to lease real estate. 

thats the problem, everything is changing. so its hard for us to give advice.

the feds just recently gave out a new memo saying how they wouldnt harass patients and caregivers operating under the state laws.

but last year there was a guy who owned a hotel. a regular hotel. he rented out rooms like any other hotel. he called the cops on drug dealers and the cops would take the drug dealers away. apparently that wasnt enough and the feds wanted to seize his hotel.

heres one from 1998:

http://texnews.com/1998/texas/hotel0308.html

the story from 2013 that made headlines:

http://reason.com/archives/2013/01/28/drug-dealing-and-legal-stealing

which a judge blocked the forfieture

http://reason.com/blog/2013/01/24/massachusetts-motel-owners-defeat-federa

drug forfieting property happens all over the country:

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2013/08/king5-400-law-enforcement-officers-raid-tukwila-motels/

theres a bunch of regulations with the feds, like if you have no knowledge of marijuana activity you are ok, but if you go looking for people to grow in your facility, then ... they use that against you in court to seize your property.

Wow guys. I appreciate all the input! This is obviously not the way I want to go right now. Maybe in a few years when the government gets a hold of this gold rush, I will open the first marijuana friendly hotel in Michigan. The property is a 100 room hotel with indoor pool, bar, restaurant, banquet hall, etc. It is empty and vacant looking for a use. Maybe senior living is the way to go...

Wow guys. I appreciate all the input! This is obviously not the way I want to go right now. Maybe in a few years when the government gets a hold of this gold rush, I will open the first marijuana friendly hotel in Michigan. The property is a 100 room hotel with indoor pool, bar, restaurant, banquet hall, etc. It is empty and vacant looking for a use. Maybe senior living is the way to go...

Ya know, some seniors that would like to live under an assisted living arrangement do not want to do so because they fear giving up control over their choice of medicines.  Most of these facilities claim to not allow cannabis because they fear losing federal funding.  Might there be room for a senior living facility which would not make this restriction on residents?

• 3 months later...

a private, cannabis friendly, senior living facility might be feasible--i don't know of one in ca, colo, wa, or mi.  in israel they all are, use israel is your model.   wealthy seniors who are 420 patients have difficulty to keep their 420, but legal patients can toke up at your facility--the 1st of its kind in  the nation.

a private, cannabis friendly, senior living facility might be feasible--i don't know of one in ca, colo, wa, or mi.  in israel they all are, use israel is your model.   wealthy seniors who are 420 patients have difficulty to keep their 420, but legal patients can toke up at your facility--the 1st of its kind in  the nation.

That would be a, wait for it ....... Restorium.