Marijuana Use Shrinks Teenagers' Brains

Restorium2

Franks Quote "If you read the study you would have seen that the subjects were drug tested."

It's totally ridiculous to think that some drug testing of the teens could show anything that relates to the brain shrinkage. That doesn't validate anything other than it further shows a lack of due diligence to see if anything else caused the anomalies. There are so many things they could not have tested for. So many possibilities not even looked at. What a ridiculous study. I can't believe anyone would defend it. heck, the people who did the study mentioned it didn't reach any solid conclusions, yet we have Frank running with the ball here.

Edited by Restorium2

Restorium2 you have already demonstrated that you will say anything regardless of a basis in fact. What makes you think you have any credibility when it comes to any discussion?

No matter what the study involves there will ALWAYS be other things that could cause "anomalies." Based on this there is no way anyone can ever conduct a valid research study. You clearly don't understand study methodology so there really is no use in you contributing to a validity discussion.

I'll give you a few minutes to make something else up.

Restorium2 you have already demonstrated that you will say anything regardless of a basis in fact. What makes you think you have any credibility when it comes to any discussion?

No matter what the study involves there will ALWAYS be other things that could cause "anomalies." Based on this there is no way anyone can ever conduct a valid research study. You clearly don't understand study methodology so there really is no use in you contributing to a validity discussion.

I'll give you a few minutes to make something else up.

I don't consider it a valid research study because it's based entirely on anecdotal evidence.

Tpain, you are pointing to a single sentence that you cut and pasted and suggesting that the sentence itself invalidates the study.  But you ignore the fact that the sentence deals with a discrete portion of the study that the study admittedly couldn't explain. 

you completely glossed over this part of the study that i also quoted in that post.

Alternatively, the observed structural differences

might be pre-existent

nah i'm done with this thread.

you said i was using a different study to discredit this one, when this one is just a review of other studies.

i find the studies reviewed in this report and detail some flaws, only to have the flaws ignored and change the argument yet again.

you havent said anything about the studies reviewed being contradictory to each other.

how are we supposed to tell which of those studies is correct and which is incorrect?

but yeah frank , i had fun , sharpening my comprehension skills. 

whoa whered franks post go?

frank, did you read that paragraph? 

The associations between specific characteristics of can-nabis use and volume reductions in the hippocampus and amygdala
suggest a linear relation between volume reduction and severity of
cannabis use and dependence. Then again, it could be that alterations
in brain structure only occur when a certain threshold of cannabis
abuse is reached. Alternatively, the observed structural differences
might be pre-existent
, causing individuals to be more prone to devel-op certain psychopathologies such as cannabis dependence. Abnor-mal morphology of the hippocampus, amygdala, and/or cerebellum
has been associated (not always consistently) with numerous disor-ders that constitute a risk factor for cannabis use and dependence,
like ADHD (Sasayama et al., 2010), depression (Frodl et al., 2010),
anxiety (Hayano et al., 2009), psychosis (Fusar-Poli et al., 2011),
and obsessive compulsive disorder (Kwon et al., 2003).

that sentence talks about all brain structural differences, not just the few.

if anyone wants to read the paper, its here

http://www.researchgate.net/profile/K_Richard_Ridderinkhof/publication/51702522_Grey_matter_alterations_associated_with_cannabis_use_results_of_a_VBM_study_in_heavy_cannabis_users_and_healthy_controls/links/09e415072e5d445177000000

Edited by t-pain

• 7 months later...