Off Grid Growing

jbear

I have a bit of a problem and am seeking help with it.

We live in an off-grid situation, generate our own power and have limited supply. we can not run lights for the amount of time needed for proper growth.

what can we do to get the amount of light needed and the correct type to facilitate the growth period? keeping the grow room warm enough is lso a problem in the cold times.

Have thought about useing solar exterior lighting to get the lights on during night time, just doesnt seem to be in the spectrum needed for proper growth. Any ideas?

do not have forced air heat system, just a stove in the L. room, so is a bit hard to keep the area warm enough? Ideas?

Need some help here ASAP.

Thanks, jbear in da U.P.

There really is no way to circumvent the electrical needs of indoor growing. The only way i think that would allow you decent quality and yield would be to setup an outdoor grow. Finding a strain that works well outdoors in the latitude of the UP would be task #1. Researching outdoor growing task #2.

It may be possible with the right setup to store enough energy through solar panels or something similar to power a light indoors, but i don't know if i would try it. The UP has some of the cloudiest conditions and in some cases you may not be able to get enough power for the lights. Cannabis is something that needs regularity, 12/12 light without interruption, regular temps, etc. It would be hard to create a stable indoor environment without guaranteed access to power.

good luck

TFB

As you know it would cost ton of money to generate the kind of electrical capacity needed for off grid indoor growing. If you are as remote as you sound like you are I would go with a small greenhouse surrounded by a high fence which also goes over the top of of the greenhouse. I think one of our members had a fenced dog kennel and the courts decided in his favor.

As you know it would cost ton of money to generate the kind of electrical capacity needed for off grid indoor growing. If you are as remote as you sound like you are I would go with a small greenhouse surrounded by a high fence which also goes over the top of of the greenhouse. I think one of our members had a fenced dog kennel and the courts decided in his favor.

Yeah and if you could cover half of your greenhouse or cage each evening it would essentially be an outdoor flower room. You could have a perpetual harvest throughout the summer. I bet that could easily beat indoor growing year round.

Just some crazy ideas, not exactly recommendations:

• Light tubes -- kind of like a sunlight in the roof, gathers light and sends it down a reflective tube to an interior room. Could a bunch of those gather enough Marquette winter light to help flower plants? dunno. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_tube)
  • smaller grow, powered by CFLs. An icmag user (Dr. BudGreenGenes? not sure, but it sounded like that...) lived for years off-grid, with a small cfl sog powered by his limited off-grid electrical power. Only a few hundred watts of cfls, but he perfected a small sog process that yielded surprisingly well. His SOG process would likely be a legal problem, though.

How do you make power now? Oh, I also heard about a guy in my neighborhood running a lister diesel on used oil from a local restaurant. That's a whole other hobby or two in itself, though...

Thanks for the responce on this question.

Have tried the cfl's, way to hard on the system. only have storage of 274 amp hrs. and running the rest of the stuff, and that isnt much, knocks her down pretty bad.

Tried with 2-25 watt cfl's. no good. went with just one. no good. going to go ahead with the solar night lights. some of them rascals are cranking real good now.

Maintainig temp will be a big challenge in cols weather.

The outdoors green house is the plan over-all. just don think in the time frame required for growing will get enough to last the winter and until another grow season has been completed. Amount allowed by law is way to restrictive and limiting. that needs to be changed!

Here in my neck of the woods, not to worried about someone pilferin my stuff. We do not have a dog kennel. THE DAWG---ALL 95LBS. OF NASTY BLACK SHEPHEARD SORTA BACKS ANY BODY UP! We just let her run and take care of things.

3 miles from the closest power pole and on a seasonal road that ends at our second drive in winter, goes on into the federal forest in summer. that starts at our ptoperty line basically.

will keep on truckin, figure something out and IF we get something to work will post. Thanks. jbear

that would be kingpinn and he is in appeals right now and it was the warrant not the outside grow i wish it was the outside grow for all of us some one is going to be a test case for outside grows but not us i would do it if Torey was not here

That is what I was thinking. Big old diesel generator running BIO DESIEL/ mix.

Seems Like the most Obvious econmical answer if you want to grow indoors. You can recycle used Frying Oil to help cut down on cost. Grow enough Hemp Plants and you can make your own fuel to run the Generator(s).

Ahhhh, Nevermind, that makes too much sense and your plant count would have to be higher.

An Outdoor Locked encloser is Legal and has been addressed in the courts, but is on appeal. Outdoor Grows are covered under the act, we just need the High Court too State the Obvious Fact.

PS. Gotta fix my clock Im like an hour ahead of real time. does that mean Im Posting from the Future ?

Things that make you go, hmmmmmmmm.

Generators! That's why I mentioned the Lister diesel above. If you don't mind dirty fingernails, and maybe a little welding and machining here and there:

http://www.f1-rocketboy.com/lister.html

I ran diesels on used cooking oil for a few years, so I was thinking about one of these to run a house of mine, but never went forward with it.

Nobody mentioned LED lights yet? more efficient than fluorescents, but certainly not cheaper.

From the hills of Oregon I can tell you that your ONLY answer is a Generator that will meet your power requirements. You NEED heat, you need FRESH air & that air can't come in from the freezing cold or it will stunt the growth to the point your plants will not grow. I would attempt a secure outdoor with seeds from BC if you are able to. There are some strains that will finish Sept 1-15th in your region.

Good luck!

Dman

Okay lets see, running diesel or gasoline kinda sucks... it is expensive and bad for mother nature.

A REAL suggestion is... Bio-mass gasification. This is where you basically run a normal gas powered generator on the smoke you get from a fire.

How? Easy... do you have a flue attached to your fireplace? detach it and hook it to your generator!

Start fire, watch for smoke, start generator, hook up 1000W HPS and grow like it is the end times.

There are many fine details to this idea you would need to figure out in depth, links below.

http://woodygasifier.com/

http://woodgas.com/

http://victorygasworks.ning.com/

http://www.diesel-bike.com/

http://www.utterpower.com/

http://www.antiquestoves.com/index.htm

http://www.generatorsales.com/order/09912.asp?page=L09912 this is the lister generator wholesale site, lister diesel and others.

My father and I have built a wood/bio-mass gasifier, we used his outdoor wood boiler for smoke. piped that into a 55 gallon drum full of sawdust (filter) and then into a ball valve (basically the new carb) on the intake.

We have several (like 9 extra) generators collected from scrapped out motorhomes, them are our back ups and spare parts.

You can run a generator for a week nonstop, after that... oil changes and filter media changes.

Old used sticky sawdust can be burned as fuel, and if you need new sawdust well you can find that anywhere. As for fuel we burn yellow and white pine, and whatever we can pick up round the county (nasty MI storms are like huge garage sales, everyone needs stuff to go).

Talk to the local road commission, they have trees they mulch... they might drop off at your door if the price is right.

One last thing, consumers power DOES NOT LIKE IT WHEN YOU BACKFEED THE SYSTEM! Don't get any bright ideas about getting paid from that.

Here is where a vid giving you the general idea about what can be done...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCtLZWnTuog

I have a bit of a problem and am seeking help with it.

We live in an off-grid situation, generate our own power and have limited supply. we can not run lights for the amount of time needed for proper growth.

what can we do to get the amount of light needed and the correct type to facilitate the growth period? keeping the grow room warm enough is lso a problem in the cold times.

Have thought about useing solar exterior lighting to get the lights on during night time, just doesnt seem to be in the spectrum needed for proper growth. Any ideas?

do not have forced air heat system, just a stove in the L. room, so is a bit hard to keep the area warm enough? Ideas?

Need some help here ASAP.

Thanks, jbear in da U.P.

420Peace jbear,

Find a way to use the Sun.

It is off Grid :)

Here Comes the Sun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6tV11acSRk

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the responce on this question.

Have tried the cfl's, way to hard on the system. only have storage of 274 amp hrs. and running the rest of the stuff, and that isnt much, knocks her down pretty bad.

Tried with 2-25 watt cfl's. no good. went with just one. no good. going to go ahead with the solar night lights. some of them rascals are cranking real good now.

Maintainig temp will be a big challenge in cols weather.

The outdoors green house is the plan over-all. just don think in the time frame required for growing will get enough to last the winter and until another grow season has been completed. Amount allowed by law is way to restrictive and limiting. that needs to be changed!

Here in my neck of the woods, not to worried about someone pilferin my stuff. We do not have a dog kennel. THE DAWG---ALL 95LBS. OF NASTY BLACK SHEPHEARD SORTA BACKS ANY BODY UP! We just let her run and take care of things.

3 miles from the closest power pole and on a seasonal road that ends at our second drive in winter, goes on into the federal forest in summer. that starts at our ptoperty line basically.

will keep on truckin, figure something out and IF we get something to work will post. Thanks. jbear

Grow outside.. who's gonna know.. lol..

Archived