Pot Size For The Ladies...input Needed

rockinlespaul

Our first grow we went like this..

Small baby pots, 2 1/2 gallon pots, then finally 5 gallon pots. Our ladies end up being between 2 and 3 feet tall. Everything went beautifully.

BUT...now were getting ready to flower again and we still haven't gone to the 5 gallon pots. Should we bother? Will there be that much difference if we don't? When doing it last time there certainly wasn't another 2 1/2 gallons worth of medium in the 5 gallon pots when all was said and done. I just dropped the root ball and all in there. Didn't want to disturb anything.

What say ye?

I'll decide today if we will transplant one last time. I need to flower these NOW, lol.

more roots = more plant matter; considering no other problems during growing. That is a base line rule. I've learned that transplanting multiple times does increase the size of the root mass more than it would of if the plant were just transplanted once. I believe the growers i've heard mention and utilize this method indicate that 3-4 transplants is a good way to go about it.

TFB

I use a blended soil I mix and let cook called Super Soil (someone else came up with it, not me)

I use 10 gallon pots....

I start in 6 in square nursery pots then go into the 10 gallon pots.

I have never had to do anything but water... All organic and no flush at the end.

Sometimes I would add some sugars in flowering but thats it....

So, in order to do what I do and have enough nutrients in the soil I have to use 7-10 gal

Regardless, TFB is dead on, more room for the roots to grow more potential for the plant.

Someone the other day compared roots to fish... They will only grow as big as their container allows

Take two about the same size keep one in 2.5 and put the other in a 5 and see for yourself. Then let us know what you find

I did this with "topping" the first time around....

I had two White Widows and two Free Leonards. Topped one of each. In the end there was absolutely NO diference. Both strains yielded exactly the same topped or not. They were good yields. :)

Not saying this is the same thing.....

????? I am sorry, I am very confused....

What does topping have to do with pot size?

When topping you need to really know how to train and spend a lot of time to really increase the yield (do a SCROG but WOW talk about time!)

If you do not have a big enough pot you can become root bound, it will be hard to absorb nutrients and continue to have fresh root growth

which is what encourages the growth above the soil.

My system goes as follows

1st seeds/clones colored solo beer cups

2nd 1 gallon pots

3rd 2.5 gallon pots

Thats it until flowerings completed ive had zero issues with root bound probloms but ive also never grew anything sativa dominant so i have no idea about the root structure of sativa plants. :unsure:

This is working for me ....

1st Clone or Seed started in Jiffy peat pellets in a half styrofoam cup

2nd at 6 - 8 inches , Tranfer Jiffy peat pellet into a 1/2 gallon pot

3rd at approx 16 - 18 inches , Transfer to a 5 gallon " Smart Pot "

Always using Pro Mix BX Biofungicide to Fill Bigger Pots as i go ...

Hope this helps

This is working for me ....

1st Clone or Seed started in Jiffy peat pellets in a half styrofoam cup

2nd at 6 - 8 inches , Tranfer Jiffy peat pellet into a 1/2 gallon pot

3rd at approx 16 - 18 inches , Transfer to a 5 gallon " Smart Pot "

Always using Pro Mix BX Biofungicide to Fill Bigger Pots as i go ...

Hope this helps

Those SmartPots are looking nice. I am going to pick up some of those for the next time around. The Air Pots look pretty sweet too.

Archived