How Much $$$ Per Kw

Gangie

Look at your electric bill.

You are billed at a rate of 'x' amount per killowatt-hour of electricity usage.

So if you have a 1000 watt consumption for something, then when you have used that thing for one hour, you have used one killowatt-hour.

So if your company charges you $0.50 per killowatt hour, they it will cost you $0.50 to run the light for one hour.

I can assure you that your company does NOT charge you $0.50 per kwh. You'll have to look it up on your last bill.

AEP, or indiana michigan power, or whatever you wanna call them, charges you around 8cents per kw. you can find a quick and easy money chart here to calculate how much $ you are using at 8 cents/KW.

http://www.hydroponi...amp_op_cost.asp

running a 1000w light for 12 hours a day is $32/month

obviously 24 hours a day would be around $64/month.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My regular bill used to be around $60 a month, now its $98 from an actual reading. I run a 400w & 600w together. I used 852 KWH in one month. That is thru Consumers Energy. I also run a few rotating fans 24/7. I run the air conditioner in the house now, so next month might be more. The estimated bill sucks as they don't give you an actual reading all the time. Saving on meter readers I guess.

• 3 years later...

it would only save you money by charging a lower "off peak" rate if your meter is an electronic "net meter"

they are usually reserved for commercial operations...however with photovoltaic and alternate energy sources becoming more popular they are obtainable for residential customers as well.

most standard residential meters only run the total Kw used in any given pay or cycle period.. the rates are not broke down by hours of operation.

hope this helps..

Does it really save you noticeable money to run your lights after prime time hours like on 9pm - off 9am? Which I've been told that electricity is cheaper after 9pm? Also does anyone turn on lights on one by one or run multi-timers in zones?

I believe there is some benefit to running the lights at night in that the lights help heat the room durring the coldest hours.

Running the lights at night also helps keep the temp down during the day in the summer

hope that helps as well

Edited by beourbud

Thanks for the info.. I currently run my lights in zones. I have 2 600w HPS vented overheads & 215 watts of fluorescent side lights. I use a fan per timer I run that are just under 50 watts total each. When my first timer turns on I have just 1 600 hps kick on & 1 fan. Currently I manually plug in the 215 watts of 6500k florescent lights within the first couple hours. Then my other timer turns on the other hps & fan on after about 5 hours. Then after 6 hours the first hps, fan & fluorescent lights I plug in turns off. I still get great yields and it works for me. My bill is only $20-$25 more a month. Now I may get larger yields if I run the full 1500 watts for the whole flower period but I don't notice much of a difference. I tend to lose sleep running lights at night due to anxiety of something going wrong with timers or other catastrophes that can happen..  I should maybe change my name to power nazi ha....