Confused About Compensation

ok so on http://www.qualifyingpatient.com/ under compensation this is what it says: "Compensation: A registered primary caregiver may receive compensation for costs associated with assisting a registered qualifying patient in the medical use of marijuana. Any such compensation shall not constitute the sale of controlled substances under state law. The federal government may take another position as to the application of federal marijuana laws."

I was never good with understanding laws and this makes no sense. So is this saying that I can charge the patient for the cost of setup like lights and what not but not sell the actual product to them? I am at a total loss. I would rather just but what I need to grow the medicine and charge waaaay less than what they would pay on the street for the medicine. I am soooo lost...It is easier to just grow it than it is to grow it legally lmfao.

Guest thequietone

Basically it means you can be compensated for your time, nutrients, electric, etc, the costs of growing the meds. You are charging for a service not goods in other words.

Basically it means you can be compensated for your time, nutrients, electric, etc, the costs of growing the meds. You are charging for a service not goods in other words.

Oh Ok so all the expensive stuff they get charged for not the stuff you can sell them cheaply lol...That seems like a fair thing to do to sick people :)

So how does that work when you have to buy from say a dealer to supplement when the plants are growing? You pay for it and give it to them free? Just charge gas and time?

And remember you don't have to recoup all of your equipment costs in the first transfer. If you are relly looking to be compassionate you don't have to take anything, but you should at least cover your out of pocket expenses like electricity, nutes, soil and beans. If you are not doing this for a family member you should make sure you are compensated for your time.

And remember you don't have to recoup all of your equipment costs in the first transfer. If you are relly looking to be compassionate you don't have to take anything, but you should at least cover your out of pocket expenses like electricity, nutes, soil and beans. If you are not doing this for a family member you should make sure you are compensated for your time.

Well I would be doing it ou of compassion, however I myself m not rich and understand some of the costs would need to be covered.

what kind of electric bills could one expect to have running a grow for 5 patients? I know this would vary by many different things but lets assume you have 2 1000w HPS,fans,filters,pumps,etc. Someont told me today that they know someone in my area that is a caregiver and his electric bill is 1100.00 a month. That seems alittle extreme for a grow for maybe 5 people.

what kind of electric bills could one expect to have running a grow for 5 patients? I know this would vary by many different things but lets assume you have 2 1000w HPS,fans,filters,pumps,etc. Someont told me today that they know someone in my area that is a caregiver and his electric bill is 1100.00 a month. That seems alittle extreme for a grow for maybe 5 people.

2 1000w HPS on 12hrs/day should be under $150 and would be the bulk of your energy costs. although im quite positive i would have many more lights than that if i were growing for 5 patients.

Depends on the electric company. We used to have consumers and they raped us each month on a three bed 2 bath. Our bill was like 2 hundred something a month...With no grow operation. We now have great lakes who claims to be a co-op and used to be affordable. We pay for a 4 bed 1 half bath like just under two hundred with no indoor grow. Its ridiculous. You can blame in on the stupid green energy scam all these companies are running to. The reason they are running to it is because they stand to be able to charge the customer more. It's criminal if you ask me.

You need a buzz box if you are going to try and save money and grow that's what it comes down to. However you can get into a lot of trouble for having one I think.

If you worry about how you are going to charge the patient than I guess it is easier to be underground! wink.gif

Come on now! I guess what the law is saying is it is tax free! rolleyes.gif

Just like you were underground,

you can charge for your compasion but not for your meds,

I cant make my ins co pay for my mm.

so why would i claim i sell it to my patient,

I give it away! lol

If you worry about how you are going to charge the patient than I guess it is easier to be underground! wink.gif

Come on now! I guess what the law is saying is it is tax free! rolleyes.gif

Just like you were underground,

you can charge for your compasion but not for your meds,

I cant make my ins co pay for my mm.

so why would i claim i sell it to my patient,

I give it away! lol

Wow I love how some people on here bypass the point to the thread and make a ridiculous statement. All I was asking because I was shocked to see that you can charge the patient for the most expensive stuff like lights and setup but not the actual plant. Me I would rather charge them less than what the weed is worth for the weed and not worry about the setup...It was more a statement on how retarded the law is as it stands... Sheesh

All I was asking because I was shocked to see that you can charge the patient for the most expensive stuff like lights and setup but not the actual plant. Me I would rather charge them less than what the weed is worth for the weed and not worry about the setup...It was more a statement on how retarded the law is as it stands...

The law is not retarded, it has some serious gray areas that need fixing, but ignorance of the law is retarded. The law says only a MM Patient may possess Marijuana. Therefore the plants, and the bud, belong to the patient. You can't sell them what they already own. A caregiver's rights ( to possess/ grow ) are only evoked because of the patient relinquishing theirs ( their right of providing medicine, not the ownership of basically ). I choose to think of it like I am their gardener and, as mentioned before, they pay for my time and expenses to grow their medicine. I charge a price based on experience and quality of craftsmanship just like any other contractor :)

Wow I love how some people on here bypass the point to the thread and make a ridiculous statement. All I was asking because I was shocked to see that you can charge the patient for the most expensive stuff like lights and setup but not the actual plant. Me I would rather charge them less than what the weed is worth for the weed and not worry about the setup...It was more a statement on how retarded the law is as it stands... Sheesh

the only thing retarded about this law is LEOs response to it, and some peeps inability to grasp it. It is a crime to sell pot, it is not a crime for a reg cg to grow for a reg patient. wth ever makes you feel good, i just cant see how your so stuck on the lights being more expensive than the plant. YOU SET THE VALUE OF YOUR TIME. Its really simple, dont sell pot, its a crime, charge what your heart tells ya for your time and supplies.

the only thing retarded about this law is LEOs response to it, and some peeps inability to grasp it. It is a crime to sell pot, it is not a crime for a reg cg to grow for a reg patient. wth ever makes you feel good, i just cant see how your so stuck on the lights being more expensive than the plant. YOU SET THE VALUE OF YOUR TIME. Its really simple, dont sell pot, its a crime, charge what your heart tells ya for your time and supplies.

Hey Ganja I guess you said it a lil clearer than me, ++ to you. and Itssortalegal I got something for you! tongue.gif

sheeesss. get a life, you must be one of them that want to make a living on disabled underpaid patients, neg me all you want Joe blow, I give a phaq about the ratings, I care more about people who need weed and cant afford it, over plant the world, lets make it so no one can make money off of weed, lets make it so we can go for a drive in the fall and fill our BIG SACKS FULL OF BUDDS, just like blueberry pickers, raspberry picker and morrell pickers!

blink.gifunsure.gifrolleyes.gifwink.gifhuh.gifangry.gifcool.gif

My (and my lawyers') understanding of the law is different from the way most of you are explaining it.

The law says "A registered primary caregiver may receive compensation for costs associated with assisting a registered qualifying patient in the medical use of marijuana. Any such compensation shall not constitute the sale of controlled substances under state law."

I don't see how you get from that to "it's illegal to sell marijuana". The law specifically says that you can receive compensation for associated costs. Those costs might include gas, time, electric, or the marijuana itself. If you give someone something and receive compensation for it, it is a sale by definition of the word. What it IS NOT is "sale of a controlled substance" which would be a crime in Michigan.

Can someone explain where you guys are coming up with the whole "illegal to charge for weight" thing? I just don't see where it says that. It seems like there are people on both sides who want the law to be more restrictive than it needs to be.

It seems to me - from my first inkling of trying to understand the “Any such compensation…” of the law – I would and will approach my “Sales” in units of service.

I will define my units of service with a broad statement that could be something like: A unit of service could consist in part or in full of, but, not limited to blah, blah, blah, blah.

Many of the “blah, blah, blah, blah” have been stated above in regard to tangible production expenses. I would include intangible values that may include integrity and personal information confidentiality, growing expertise, style and technique or value added services.

The law allows for compensation. I don’t know about any of you other qualified caregivers, but my production costs are not cheap. I plan to obtain income from this opportunity!

The law is not retarded, it has some serious gray areas that need fixing, but ignorance of the law is retarded. The law says only a MM Patient may possess Marijuana. Therefore the plants, and the bud, belong to the patient. You can't sell them what they already own. A caregiver's rights ( to possess/ grow ) are only evoked because of the patient relinquishing theirs ( their right of providing medicine, not the ownership of basically ). I choose to think of it like I am their gardener and, as mentioned before, they pay for my time and expenses to grow their medicine. I charge a price based on experience and quality of craftsmanship just like any other contractor :)

Well that is a good opinion but to me a law that is half written with holes/grey areas and causes patients and caregivers to face possible jail time is retarded.....I like that depending on where you live you are probably OK, but it should not depend on where you live.

Yeah I got that like a page ago...See I am only on here asking because before I take on a patient I want to know everything...I read the law...It's kinda badly written like a Glee episode

My (and my lawyers') understanding of the law is different from the way most of you are explaining it.

The law says "A registered primary caregiver may receive compensation for costs associated with assisting a registered qualifying patient in the medical use of marijuana. Any such compensation shall not constitute the sale of controlled substances under state law."

I don't see how you get from that to "it's illegal to sell marijuana". The law specifically says that you can receive compensation for associated costs. Those costs might include gas, time, electric, or the marijuana itself. If you give someone something and receive compensation for it, it is a sale by definition of the word. What it IS NOT is "sale of a controlled substance" which would be a crime in Michigan.

Can someone explain where you guys are coming up with the whole "illegal to charge for weight" thing? I just don't see where it says that. It seems like there are people on both sides who want the law to be more restrictive than it needs to be.

Well thats not what I read on the page i was referred to from this page. But again it's a retarded law in my opinion to start with. If the law was well written and everything was clear cops would not be able to do what they are doing at all!

Look on this page http://www.qualifyingpatient.com/ under compensation and it says this Compensation: A registered primary caregiver may receive compensation for costs associated with assisting a registered qualifying patient in the medical use of marijuana. Any such compensation shall not constitute the sale of controlled substances under state law. The federal government may take another position as to the application of federal marijuana laws.

I thinks you may need ya a better lawyer

Hey Ganja I guess you said it a lil clearer than me, ++ to you. and Itssortalegal I got something for you! tongue.gif

sheeesss. get a life, you must be one of them that want to make a living on disabled underpaid patients, neg me all you want Joe blow, I give a phaq about the ratings, I care more about people who need weed and cant afford it, over plant the world, lets make it so no one can make money off of weed, lets make it so we can go for a drive in the fall and fill our BIG SACKS FULL OF BUDDS, just like blueberry pickers, raspberry picker and morrell pickers!

blink.gifunsure.gifrolleyes.gifwink.gifhuh.gifangry.gifcool.gif

Ooooh just how big is your sack rofl bunny muffin big?

It seems to me - from my first inkling of trying to understand the “Any such compensation…” of the law – I would and will approach my “Sales” in units of service.

I will define my units of service with a broad statement that could be something like: A unit of service could consist in part or in full of, but, not limited to blah, blah, blah, blah.

Many of the “blah, blah, blah, blah” have been stated above in regard to tangible production expenses. I would include intangible values that may include integrity and personal information confidentiality, growing expertise, style and technique or value added services.

The law allows for compensation. I don’t know about any of you other qualified caregivers, but my production costs are not cheap. I plan to obtain income from this opportunity!

Well you realize what will happen is when the law is re written the state will just take over and make it illegal for caregivers to grow right? I mean this is one broke state that needs money.

Archived