Mcgyvered Smoking Apparatus

When I was a kid my first McGyver way to smoke was using an apple at the school bus stop. Just bore a hole with a pencil about half way through. Bore another hole from the other side so they meet forming a V. Bore one of the holes bigger to make the bowl. Pack and enjoy.

Lately, when I have no pipe (I can't roll) I just pinch and twist the end of a cigarette until about half the tobacco is gone. Then I pack my smoking material into the end of the cigarette using a pencil to pack it down. The big benefit to this is there is no waste, just smoke the whole thing and all the pot burns.

So, what creative ways do you guys use?

ohh, in high school we did all sorts of stuff...

Take a soda-pop can, dent one side a little, and punch holes into the dent with a pin. Someone always had a pin. put some mj on the dent, and light up... when done with the pipe, crunch it up and toss it in the garbage.

Tin foil on a toilet paper tube to make a steam roller.

Tin foil to make a shillelagh or stem.

If one was good, tin foil in top of plastic cap of a 12 oz soda bottle with the bottom cut off, sunk into a 1 liter or gatorade bottle with the top cut off. gravity bong :) throw it all away when done :)

If someone had ceramics class, sometimes they would make little dried clay pipes, enough to hold up to a few hits at least.

One of the science classes taught how to work glass tubed into pipettes... there was often someone that would mack a section or two to tuck into their smokes.

occasionally one of the guys from shop class would mack a few metal fittings for a quickie bowl. Then it would later be disassembled and installed :blink:

or empty out smokes and pack in some mj instead.

any piece of produce that could be drilled with holes with a pen or pocketknife had it shot at being used. apples, pears, pineapples, potatoes, kohlrabi (a buddy of mine did that to sneak smokin the summer his folks sent him out to his grandparents), and even a small watermelon. To my understanding (I wasn't there), the watermelon was fun, but messy.

Use a car lighter- push it in to get it hot, and drop a hit on to the red hot element.

When people were at home with more time, resources, and permanent stashibility, stuff got even stranger :rock:

Yeah, that was a fun bunch :) But honestly, I'm old enough that when I went to school, most of the tolkers carried a pack of rolling papers in their smokes or a one hitter of some sort for when they were out and about and it was pretty unlikely they were going to be searched for the stuff unless actually caught lighting up. Student smoking of the cigarette kind was still allowed on school grounds when I was in school. It was sort of a different mindset.

That was a cool trip down memory lane :)

tee hee, I didn't...

the 12 oz in the gatorade bottle with tin foil is for on the fly when you don't have good resources at hand.. like when you are taking a couple lunch hours to hang in the park and need somehing quick, or disposable camping bong :) Drink the bigger bottle first, cut off the top. pour the smaller bottle into the bigger one. cut of the bottom the the smaller bottle, and punch a hole in the cap, bit of tin over the hole in the cap, with holes punched in- gravity bong :) just need a pocket knife and a pin.

420Peace Mcgyvere,

For these many years (40) when I am without a roach clip I make a Jefferson Airplane.

I split a burnt paper match from the unlight end up to the burnt tip allowing it the match to hold the joint.

It kinda looks like a wing of an airplane...

It was only a couple years ago I heard Grace Slick say her group was named after this matchclip.

When I heard White Rabbit in 1967 I new there was a different world outside of West Branch, Michigan.

A simple McGyver for smoking hash back in the day was just on a needle (through a magazine or album cover) and just put a drinking glass over the lighted hash which just burns bit by bit like incense. Man, you could play cards all night on that glass and needle hash smoker!:thumbsu:

Can't forget the gravity bong. A two liter and a bowl and you're getting crazy hits out of your sink.

My old 'gravity bong' was a Faygo three litre (Moon Mist)in the kitchen sink with really warm water.

Warm water is soooo nice on the lungs.

Warm Apple Juice is better in the smaller bongs, great flavor.

when Faygo introduced the 3-liter bottle i thought we were in heaven :) i remember MANY a night on my knees over the bathtub getting MONSTER HITS :) whew i must have had iron lungs back then.

when Faygo introduced the 3-liter bottle i thought we were in heaven :) i remember MANY a night on my knees over the bathtub getting MONSTER HITS :) whew i must have had iron lungs back then.

Ahh Memories.... :D I had a Faygo 3 litter bottle with a nice sized bell bowl through the bottle cap... I had a nice deep stainless sink in the kitchen island... :huh: My chest feels a little tight just thinking about it .. Those were the day's huh!!

• 2 weeks later...

well??????? as a kid hell i am still a kid at 50. anyway my dad is a plumber and a pipe was just a service truck away .i have made bongs out of copper.black iron pipe.pvc pipe we made a bong once with 1 1/2 pvc that was 4 feet long and the bowl was a thimble from you guessed it my moms sewing box and 5/8 rubber garden hose.one hit to load and one to clear. if you didnt puck.you couldnt move for awile legs didnt work for some reason..

use to cut up deer antlers and drill holes in them little bonemarrow never hurt no one,cool looking pipes after a few good smokes

Man... That's cool we used to do that as well... Ive got one left somewhere.. in a box I think...... I'll have to look.. You just brought me down memory lane there for a minute... Thanks...

the best pipe I ever had was deer antler and car antannae, with a strip of leather wrapped around it...wonder where it is now...

My friend showed me how to bend the metal strips from a street sweeper so you could use it to get the resin out of long stems and such, we really mcgyvered when we were out and wanted even a resin buzz...

• 1 month later...

A simple McGyver for smoking hash back in the day was just on a needle (through a magazine or album cover) and just put a drinking glass over the lighted hash which just burns bit by bit like incense. Man, you could play cards all night on that glass and needle hash smoker!:thumbsu:

We did this a lot too except we would freeze big mason jar/s.

We called them marijuana malts. Whew, this is a fun thread!

use to cut up deer antlers and drill holes in them little bonemarrow never hurt no one,cool looking pipes after a few good smokes

A good friend of mine (rip) would buy antlers and make the

most interesting pipes. Unfortunately the one given to me

has gone the way of so many things lost to time and travel.

Thanks for the great memory.

My old 'gravity bong' was a Faygo three litre (Moon Mist)in the kitchen sink with really warm water.

Warm water is soooo nice on the lungs.

Warm Apple Juice is better in the smaller bongs, great flavor.

Why hadn't I ever heard/thought of using Apple juice!?

Sounds so smooth I'm going to try it right NOW!

Archived