New Legislation Banning Any Felons From Becoming Caregivers

t0rpid

Looks like the Michigan Legislature is at it again, this time, to try and disqualify a person convicted of any felony from becoming a registered caregiver.

How stupid is that!

http://legislature.m...px?2010-HB-6299

Get on the horn and start contacting your legislators -- this is an attempt to further isolate convicted felons from making an honest living. It's already hard enough as it is finding work with a felony on your record. While I'm not a convicted felon, I know many honest, hard working people who are.

• 2 weeks later...

Well its nice to see the fools gather on both sides of the fence. If I maybe so bold as to ask.... what the hell does my 16 year old charge of b and e have to do with any thing. How is it that, this conviction negates my issues? would this law then erase the scars from my head, would this make me be able to see thru my head aches?

I thought it already was illegal for a felon to be a cg, thought I read it in the law when I first started looking into it..

Sb

No its, a drug conviction, as that would pertain to the issue at hand. this is really funny, does a felony keep you from a bottle of oxys?

In so many ways this is wrong.

I started growing, because someone i cared for deeply was dieing from pancreatic cancer. One of the things I loved about the law we voted for was that it gave family and friends a chance to be empowered in an otherwise powerless situation. I didn't have to see the doctor administering drugs hour after hour. When the pain got too bad, she lit one up, and I got to see a dieing women smile. I smiled too, I got to do something that even the doctors couldn't do, I brought her a little peace and happiness. They will find a reason to exclude more of us if this passes.

Hello I am a patient/caregiver. I am also a felon. Yea I messed up but it was 17 years ago. I pay for that mistake everyday of my life. For making that mistake I lost my right to be human. But MM has made me feel a little more human. Because I can help my patients feel better. And I can make a little money for my time. So if they take this from me I will go underground and be the faking criminal that they are forcing me to go back to being. I cant make a decent living cause no one will hire a felon. It doesnt matter if I havent been in trouble in 17 years. I have to survive and I will do what I have to do to take care of my family.

Whatever it dont matter anyways

Would Patients, who currently have "non-drug related" felons as their Caregivers, suddenly lose their Caregiver...and meds ??

Bunch of crap. Just going to force people back underground.. Who comes up with these stupid law proposals ??

Peace

Ahhhhhhhh this is Marty Knollenberg!! He's out of Troy and you can find his contact information here

http://www.martyknollenberg.com/difference.html

Marty@MartyKnollenberg.com

or write to his physical address here:

Marty Knollenberg for State Rep.

198 E. Big Beaver

Troy, MI 48083

TELL HIM WHAT YOU THINK!!!! This guy has no business touting stricter regulations for our law.

Not only him but the following names also appear on this: Walsh, Tyler, Haines, Kowall, Rogers,

Green, Meekhof, Moss, Rick Jones, Genetski, Geiss, Bledsoe, Caul, Espinoza, Crawford,

Rocca, Proos, Daley, Kurtz, DeShazor, Agema, Lund, Bolger, Meadows, Stamas,

Opsommer, Lori, Haugh, Marleau and Schuitmaker - check and see if one of these are from your area too, they all need to hear that this is OUR law and they aren't going to strip it to help themselves sleep better at night.

UGH~

Geiss is my rep.......

Here is my letter.........

Rep. Geiss,

I want you to know I am NOT in favor of your support of HB6299.

I believe there are many instances where someone may depend on a person whom is a felon to assist them with their choice of medication. A mother may need her son, whom happens to have an 18 year old felony to provide medicine for her.

There are many people who have committed a felony that have been rehabilitated.

I understand the concern for patients to be protected, but I feel the limiting of people allowed to be caregivers will only make it more dangerous as patients that would have been able to have a family member assist them, may now have to go to the streets looking for medication.

Is that what we want? Sick, dying people in the streets looking for smuggled in marijuana?

That doesn't seem like keeping patients "safe" to me.

I am against any legislature that changes the current Medical Marihuana law as it is now. 63% of the people voted for this law. Wayne County passed with 69%.

69%! THAT is a lot of support.

Please consider the rest of your constituents and me, while going forward with this.

Sincerely,

Irishgreen

They are not prohibiting former felon patients, only former felon caregivers. The law makes sense to me.

Let the flames begin!

it has been that way since the beginning of the law a felon can only grow there own so the law is not new

it has been that way since the beginning of the law a felon can only grow there own so the law is not new

also easy problem to fix dont do stupid bunny muffin and you wont gwt a felony my dad did stupid bunny muffin and i see were felons go a a young age dont be stupid people

also easy problem to fix dont do stupid bunny muffin and you wont gwt a felony my dad did stupid bunny muffin and i see were felons go a a young age dont be stupid people

Currently its only for felony drug convictions, not all or any felony convictions.

(vi) A primary caregiver shall authorize the department to use the

information provided on the application to secure his or her criminal

conviction history to determine if he or she has a felony conviction

involving illegal drugs.

b) That a primary caregiver no longer qualifies for approval under the

act based on a felony drug conviction.

They are not prohibiting former felon patients, only former felon caregivers. The law makes sense to me.

Let the flames begin!

Do you think that will be the only change if they can get the votes? Guarentee there will be all sorts of "fix its" in the bill, but you will only hear about the felony part.

For all the sob stories of 75 year old felonies that have nothing to do with growing weed please know that you can EXPUNGE a felony that is 7 years or older from the date of the conviction.

Will cost you about a grand to get it done.

I agree there is an element of a 'Scarlet Letter' here. Makes me wonder how far the legal and cultural systems have really advanced since the Middle-Ages.

For all the sob stories of 75 year old felonies that have nothing to do with growing weed please know that you can EXPUNGE a felony that is 7 years or older from the date of the conviction.

Will cost you about a grand to get it done.

I agree there is an element of a 'Scarlet Letter' here. Makes me wonder how far the legal and cultural systems have really advanced since the Middle-Ages.

hah if only i had a grand to spend.... its all ready cost me far too much. if only i could find a lawyer who cared more about right n wrong than his wallet. ive already paid, havent been convicted of anything but a trafic ticket in over 10 years, no felonies in way longer. this will be used to destroy our law. its alot like the gun laws. this would only hurt those who are following the law. the real bad guys who just wanna grow dope to get rich.... will do it anyway.

:huh: Hey lawyercaregiver.:huh:

I tried to expunge my felony. When I went to a lawyer to get my record expunged he asked me if I have plead guilty to any other charges since my felony including traffic tickets. I had a driving on a suspended liscence sometime after my conviction. He told me not to even bother because To expunge a felony you are only allowed to expunge one and if you plead guilty to even a traffic offence you cant do it. He wouldnt even take the $1000 dollars he was gonna charge for the expungement. So either he was a moron and doesnt know his bunny muffin from a hole in the ground or you have your facts wrong. Not sure which.

I am a felon but not a drug felon. And the law clearly states that you cannot be a convicted drug felon and be a caregiver.

Thanks wozer

Archived