Transplant Or Big Beginning

Snakeman_55

I have 2 seeds germinating and am thinking of planting in 5 gallon bags instead of smaller and gradually building up to the 5 gallon bags. Are there any advantages to going through the transplant process or will just growing them as they would in the ground be fine? Thanks in advance for any replies.

If you know what sex a plant is or going to be then, yes plant it in a container that it will be in for the remainder of its life. A gallon of medium per month of plant life is the gauge I use. If you are growing from seed and there might be a possibility of some males, then that is when you start small and then transplant. My .02

:thumbsu:i would say that .02 is right on have you or any body here know about the smart pot? that is the pot's i use you can google to find out more am not a good posted here

when growing in soil from seed/sprouts, i sugest starting in a small pot because sometimes you get a lot of stretch when the seed sprouts,i usually use a small coco-core pot,fill it about half way with dirt,plant the sprout/seed,water it,when the plant gets to an inch or so,water,,then add a small amount of dry dirt to just below the leaves,if you add the dirt then water you run the risk of the stem rotting,so water first then add dry soil, but if you just keep burying the stem each time you water,everything you bury will turn to roots ,...and you can keep doing this until you're up to the first set of true leaves,..you can do the same thing with Tomato plants...and another thing about planting a seed in a large pot is that you can loose the seed/sprout pretty easy..lol...but hey just because i do it this way doesn't mean you have too..lol..good luck with your grows..zb

when growing in soil from seed/sprouts, i sugest starting in a small pot because sometimes you get a lot of stretch when the seed sprouts,i usually use a small coco-core pot,fill it about half way with dirt,plant the sprout/seed,water it,when the plant gets to an inch or so,water,,then add a small amount of dry dirt to just below the leaves,if you add the dirt then water you run the risk of the stem rotting,so water first then add dry soil, but if you just keep burying the stem each time you water,everything you bury will turn to roots ,...and you can keep doing this until you're up to the first set of true leaves,..you can do the same thing with Tomato plants...and another thing about planting a seed in a large pot is that you can loose the seed/sprout pretty easy..lol...but hey just because i do it this way doesn't mean you have too..lol..good luck with your grows..zb

Did that with the tomatoes this year, what a difference! :) Great advice!

Good tip, zipbanger.  I do something similar when transplanting small seedlings.  They always seem to look horribly spindly, too tall and weak to even stand up well a week after sprouting.  I transplant them deeper, burying 1-2 inches of the stem.  Always ends up growing roots right up to the soil line, and the resulting plants have branches starting right down to soil level.

In my current grow I transplanted from 4 inch pots to 3 gallon Smart Pots, a bigger upsize than I'm used to.   I think the plants suffered a little bit, due to excess nutrients in the far reaches of the larger pots that the roots hadn't gotten to yet.  That was in coco, though, so it's different than soil.  Next time I'll feed and water very lightly after transplant until the roots are all through the large pots.

Good tip, zipbanger.  I do something similar when transplanting small seedlings.  They always seem to look horribly spindly, too tall and weak to even stand up well a week after sprouting.  I transplant them deeper, burying 1-2 inches of the stem.  Always ends up growing roots right up to the soil line, and the resulting plants have branches starting right down to soil level.

In my current grow I transplanted from 4 inch pots to 3 gallon Smart Pots, a bigger upsize than I'm used to.   I think the plants suffered a little bit, due to excess nutrients in the far reaches of the larger pots that the roots hadn't gotten to yet.  That was in coco, though, so it's different than soil.  Next time I'll feed and water very lightly after transplant until the roots are all through the large pots.

well i din't want to confuse the subject,but i use this same method for my hempy buckets(soil less)but the process is the same..anytime i can help...peace all..zb

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that transplanting is essential to dense root structure. depending on pot sizes I like to do 1 or 2 transplantings per plant. I will start in a something around 1~galish and transplant first to a 3gal pot up to the first true leafset. Then depending on the plant and how long it takes to flower I like a 5-10 gal pot to finish in. I like to do the last transplant about 2-3 weeks before I switch to flower, all this fresh dirt keeps me from running out of N to early in flower too.

Anyway the reason I do the transplants is I found that the roots tend to get 50% better horizontal root growth. In side by sides the no tranplants produced about 15% less and had half the root structure of the ones that did. In no way was my expirement scientific but 3 were transplanted twice, 3 once , 6 were not.

Archived