Grafting Experiment Underway

Tommy217xxx

Ok, so I got home today and its dead. It was lookin like (I can't convey a point without vulgarities). The cutting and stem were super limp and starting to turn brown and yellow so I cut it off. I'm gonna try to do a side veneer graft on sunday.

I think the whole idea is to keep it moist and I think the ace bandage will let it dry out/breath to much. I'm gonna make the cuts, then place the cutting into position on the host stem. Then I'm gonna wrap it in some type of twine. Do you guys think I should soak the twine over night in water or just apply it dry. After the twine, I'm gonna apply either grafting wax(if I can find any) or maybe bee's wax or just plain old candle wax. Any thoughts on candle wax burning the plant?

Does anyone know where I can get grafting wax in oakland county? I went to bourdines in Rochester and english gardens in royal oak and no dice. Any other suggestions would be great.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so I got home today and its dead. It was lookin like (I can't convey a point without vulgarities). The cutting and stem were super limp and starting to turn brown and yellow so I cut it off. I'm gonna try to do a side veneer graft on sunday.

I think the whole idea is to keep it moist and I think the ace bandage will let it dry out/breath to much. I'm gonna make the cuts, then place the cutting into position on the host stem. Then I'm gonna wrap it in some type of twine. Do you guys think I should soak the twine over night in water or just apply it dry. After the twine, I'm gonna apply either grafting wax(if I can find any) or maybe bee's wax or just plain old candle wax. Any thoughts on candle wax burning the plant?

Does anyone know where I can get grafting wax in oakland county? I went to bourdines in Rochester and english gardens in royal oak and no dice. Any other suggestions would be great.

tada, ask and ye shall recieve, i was lookin the other day for grafting tuts, etc, and i found this , http://www.honeyflow...les/beeswax.php

GRAFTING WAX

10 ounces (weight) rosin

2 ounces (weight) beeswax

1 ounce (weight) charcoal powder

1-tablespoon linseed oil

Grafting wax scales the union of plant tissue. Heat the beeswax and rosin at 250 degrees F. until they melt. Stir in the remaining ingredients.

ok, now youve done it, i have a ww plant and a Kali mist plant that are in veg, i want to try and use the ww as my base mother, and graft a KM branch for the first procedure.

any thought on whether or not indicas and sativas will graft well?

ill shoot some video of the process as well, more to come :)

I just checked on the details on your plants if it were me I would use the ww plant also. I chose to use my Ice plant b/c it was a 50/50 hybrid and it seams to me that a plant with sativa and indica genetics would be the best bet and it might be easier to graft several variety's of genetics.

Another idea would be to grow/graft the branches together before you cut the donor branch off. That way the donor/cutting is still getting water and nutes from its own roots while it grafting to the host plant. I think they do it with rose bushes. They'll grow the 2 plants together then they'll cut the undesired roots and top off. So that way you have the best of both worlds. I might attempt both the side veneer graft and the "grow 2 branches together" graft on sunday.

I was also wounderin what everyone thought about just using like a 100% beeswax candle. Let the candle burn for like 2 hours and get a nice little puddle of wax then apply it with either a tooth pick or a small paint brush.

I've been doin some research on the process and it looks like we have to get the vascular cambium aligned. From what I gather the vascular cambium is just below the bark or in a small MJ plants case just below the first green layer. I'm thinking some thing like a veggie peeler with minimal pressure, just enough passes/peels to remove the green. Think of it like peeling a cucumber.

I have very little botany or horticulture skills so if anyone has any ideas please post them. We can try until we get it right.

im going to try some outdoor landscaping places around here (shelby) for some grafting tape, i did find another recipe for the wax,

GRAFTING WAX

Grafting wax can be bought at farm supply stores. Or, a good wax can be made by melting together 4 pounds of resin, 2 pounds of beeswax and 1 pound of tallow. Then pour it into cold water and pull it like pulling taffy candy until the wax is a light straw color. Form it into convenient sized balls and store it in a cool place for future use. You can use this wax to make grafting cloth or twine.

Another good wax can be made by melting together 5 pounds of resin and 1 pound of beeswax. As soon as these materials are melted, stir in 1/4 pint of linseed oil and remove from the heat. Then stir in 1/2 pound of lampblack or powdered charcoal a little at a time. This wax must be heated and applied with a small paint brush.

Be careful when heating wax over an open flame; it is highly flammable

i know up in romeo there are a few as well

btw, i posted some pics of the first 2 plants to be grafted in my gallery

im going to try some outdoor landscaping places around here (shelby) for some grafting tape, i did find another recipe for the wax,

GRAFTING WAX

Grafting wax can be bought at farm supply stores. Or, a good wax can be made by melting together 4 pounds of resin, 2 pounds of beeswax and 1 pound of tallow. Then pour it into cold water and pull it like pulling taffy candy until the wax is a light straw color. Form it into convenient sized balls and store it in a cool place for future use. You can use this wax to make grafting cloth or twine.

Another good wax can be made by melting together 5 pounds of resin and 1 pound of beeswax. As soon as these materials are melted, stir in 1/4 pint of linseed oil and remove from the heat. Then stir in 1/2 pound of lampblack or powdered charcoal a little at a time. This wax must be heated and applied with a small paint brush.

Be careful when heating wax over an open flame; it is highly flammable

i know up in romeo there are a few as well

btw, i posted some pics of the first 2 plants to be grafted in my gallery

If the plants are still that small you could let them stretch a little then try to grow them together then cut the roots off of the kali mist. Another thing that I was thinking is you might want to use the Kali Mist as your host b/c its sativa dominate, meaning is will be taller which should mean that it would have a larger set of roots allowing for more water/nute uptake. Also the sativa base will have more room to graft to as apposed to a smaller bushier plant. I have a sour diesel that I want to eventually use as my host for that reason.

I stopped at the yankee candle store in great lakes crossing and they didn't have any 100% beeswax candle so I went to Micheal's art and crafts and found a pound block of beeswax, wicks and tins for making my own candles. I also found the hemp twine there. I think The wax was like 20 bucks and everything else came to like 7 bucks. I looked for the wicks that didn't have the little tiny metal wire in them to help reduce the carbon during burn. I'm gonna attempt to make a couple of candles in a few hours.

Dam thought it was gonna make it.They make a wound seal for plants that I had not to long back. Prolly still have some somewheres. Think it was called wound seal or something. Our grow store was passing it out for free for awhile. Call h2o grow supply at 269-468-3890 and ask to talk to Mark. He prolly still has some. That would work perfect to seal the joint. I'd stick to the v cut and a matching cut on the cutting and tie it togeather and seal it. I'd not use the rooting stuff but only the seal for the joint. Might want to use some non wilting spray on it too when ya first take the graft to help the cutting retain mosture. You can get that at any hardware/gardening store for about nothen. Keep trying,,, you'll get it.......

OK, Second Craft attempt:

This is a pic of the host plant. Its an Ice plant by nirvana seeds. The plant is 3 months old and is a 50/50 hydrid. I'm gonna put the graft right around where the arrow is pointing.

Hostplantgraftarea.jpg

This is the donor plant. Its an aurora indica also from nirvana. The plant is also 3 months old and is 90% Indica dominate. The red circle is the donor branch. I tried to find a donor branch that was close to the same size or just a little smaller.

Cuttingbranch.jpg

This is the cutting that were gonna attempt to graft. Its 5" long. I did a long diagonal starting about an inch and a half from the bottom. All layers of the plant we exposed. I used an exacto knife to make the cut.

100_0680.jpg

Next I took an old veggie peeler and sliced from arrow A to arrow B on the host plant. I only took the first layer of green off. Just enough so that it looks like the shaved area is still greenish white but not totally white.

AtoBgraftarea.jpg

Next, we married the two pieces, lining the vascular cambiums as best as we could. We then tied the two pieces together using hemp twine.

100_0681.jpg

The last step was to completely coat the twine wrapping in beeswax. We had a beeswax candle standing by. We applied the beeswax with small art paint brushes. We made sure to COMPLETELY paint wax on the twine to keep moisture in and to protect to union while it heals.

100_0685.jpg

100_0683.jpg

100_0684.jpg

100_0685.jpg

This pic is of the finished graft. Lets hope she takes.

cuttinggraftoutline.jpg

I used the first diagram on the page to get the idea of what to do. I cut a small piece off of a plant and practiced several times with the veggie peeler to get it right. When we were all done, the host plant went into the greenhouse. Were gonna leave it in there for 24 hours and then remove it.

http://www.avocadosource.com/Journals/FSHSP/FSHSP_VOL_58_PG_176-180_1945.pdf

I took the plant out of the greenhouse when I got home from work. I'm gonna let it dry out for a few hours then put it back under the lights. From what I can tell, everything is still lookin good. The wax is holding well and the cutting is still green and alive.

I'll post an update on her tomorrow around 8am. I may post again around 10 tonight is theres any change.

I just looked at the cutting and everything looks good so far. I'm gonna leave it out of the greenhouse for here on out. The branch is still green and looks healthy. I'm gonna leave it out of the light and check it in the morning. If all is well then shes goin back under the lights. I'll keep the grafted branch out of the direct light and fans just so it doesn't dry out.

I looked at a book on grafting fruit and flower plants today and it said that the cutting can take a week or two or even up to a month to start showing signs of new growth. I'm gonna wait until sunday before we do anything else.

I really want to see this work so badly!

I will also be experimenting as soon as my babies are big enough. This is something I have wanted to experiment with for years.

Still have not found the old HT article that mentioned it years ago, but I seem to remember it had some good info. I will look through my stack of Mags again.

Thanks for sharing your research with us all, it will help me/us greatly. :)

http://newsbowl.org/grow-room/urban-grower-talks-about-grafting-cannabis-plants/

About 3 minutes in he talks about keeping a bag over the graft area. The joint has no roots, and needs to be treated as a cutting/clone and have some kind of humidity bag/dome so it can intake water/nutes. He mentions using a bag for humidity for first 5 days or so until it heals together.

Sounds real interesting ;)

ok, so I got to slip home for a while before I have to go do my last job. I just looked at the graft and it was super saggy. I cut the top set of leaves off just above the next bud site. The top 1/3 of the stem was lookin limp and sad. I hope by cutting the top set off, it will start to grow at the next bud site and maybe even kinda like topping the plant.

I think the humidity dome is a good idea. On My next graft attempt i'm gonna try another branch graft, but this time i'm gonna use one of those fat/wide rubber bands plus beeswax to hold the union together. I've also been thinking about how to make a single branch humidity dome. I'm gonna cut a 2 liter in half and use a neoprene insert to seal the end of the 2 liter to keep the moisture in. I'm gonna put the neoprene behind the graft then slip the bottle over the graft. The only issue I see is the weight of the bottle so I'm gonna get a doll rod and tape the bottle to it for support.

I also e-mailed High Times yesterday to see if they had an advise/tips or if they could just send me the issue # so I can read it and go from there.

More updates to come.

Archived