Grafting Experiment Underway

Tommy217xxx

Thats not a bad idea. The only problem I see might be both cuttings trying to root then fighting each other. You would either have to cut the second set of roots off or graft 1 cutting while rooting the other. I really like the second idea better. If you did the graft and then put it into a cloner so that the second cutting could root, it would allow the graft to heal. Its worth a try but I wanna hold off and let my plants heal. There hurtin.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey had an idea ...dont know if it would work and i havent the space to try . so here is a diagram of what i had in mind.

seems to me this is the best idea yet. if you split 2 clones from node to node, bandage together and stick in a cloner. the two would scar together at the stem, leaving 1 stem (from 2 plants). LEO would HAVE to count as 1! I just made one to try. we'll see

seems to me this is the best idea yet. if you split 2 clones from node to node, bandage together and stick in a cloner. the two would scar together at the stem, leaving 1 stem (from 2 plants). LEO would HAVE to count as 1! I just made one to try. we'll see

Hey longhairbri, How is the clone/graft experiment working out? I'm curious to how the graft healed. Please post status info on clone.

OK, so like 3 weeks ago I sent dampkring an email asking the midnight Gardner for a few pointers and he actually responded. He sent me to another forum based site. For those who haven't seen the video, here it is.

Here's the link to the Midnight Gardner's grafting 101 forum post with pics.

http://www.breedbay.co.uk/forums/germinations-seedlings-cut-rooting/201354087-grafting-101-a.html

I had to join that site. Looks like some great info there.

Great find too btw. This "V" method of grafting is what I had seen the article about years ago.

I thought it was in an old high times, but have not been able to find it. I may be mistaken about where I read it, but the method is the same, and it worked 15+ years ago when I read about it then :)

I think we are onto something here, and as soon as I have something to graft, I will join in on the experiments with you guys.

How old was the plant you were using to graft on too? Would it be better on a young plant that has a soft stem or and older plant that is hard?

They were prob 3 months old. I would assume it would be best to use a softer plant. Well it might be easier. From what I gather from the forum and pics he's using fairly new growth. I sent him another e-mail asking about preparing the scion. He says to skin the cutting and I would assume that means to just shave the first layer of green off. But I'm not really sure about that.

OK, I did my graft yesterday. So far everything looks good. I did another graft today. I feel like today's graft went better then yesterday's but we shall see.

These 2 pics are from yesterdays graft attempt. I twist tied the top of the bag to the plant so that the weight didn't hurt the graft.100_3935.jpg

100_3936.jpg

The next 3 pics are from today's graft. Today's graft felt better b/c I used a larger piece as my host.

100_3934.jpg

100_3937.jpg

100_3933.jpg

I tied the bag to a stick to support the weight.

I'll add more detailed info on the grafts in a few days.

Thanks for everyone's support. I think that this is something that everyone in the medical marijuana community could benefit from. I personally want a nice, healthy 3' to 4' mother with at LEAST 20 strains. Midnight gardener told me that everyone at Dampkring uses a different process. We just have to find one that works for us and something that everyone can follow. Once we get this process figured out I'll do up a nice little tutorial with pics and show everyone how I do it. It would be cool to make a nice little video tutorial. We'll light that fire cracker when we get to it. I'll post a few updates on the graft tomorrow after work.

Another idea or use for grafting would be to maintain male plants for breeding. 1 single patient with just there 12 plants could have endless options for crossbreeding. I think it would be tricky keeping a super male around. You would definitely want to keep him separate. We could start breeding serious strains right here in our own back yard.

I took the bags off and of course the grafts didn't make it. I did one more graft about 15 min. ago. I tried a few different things. This time I chose branches that were a little closer in size. I also just scrapped the cutting. If this one doesn't take i'm gonna have to wait a while before attempting again. I have to wait for all my little clones to get big. I got a few new strains to start working with but all my veg plants are either fresh rooted clones or are still seedlings. I have cheese, headband, snow white, ice, aurora indica, and my unknown bag seed clone that is definitely sativa and I hope is sour diesel. I also have a super slow growing purple kush plant this is just kinda becoming a waste of time. I'm thinking it will prob be at least 4 weeks or more unless some wants to donate a 2' host mother. LOL! :lol:

I'll let everyone know how the finale graft goes.

Archived