Grafting Experiment Underway

Tommy217xxx

OK, so I started trying to graft today.

The host plant is Ice from nirvana and the graft cutting is aurora indica also from nirvana. I started by trying to make a "V" shaped cut on the host limb and a spear like point on the cutting but it was super hard to get the 2 pieces to stay together while I was wrapping them with plastic wrap. The cutting starting to look like crap after about 3 hours so I decided to try a different branch with a different method.

The next method I tried was to make a long diagonal cut down the host limb and cutting. I did this so I could expose as much of the inner plant surface as possible. I lined the 2 cuts up, applied a little clonex around the cut, tied a piece of plastic wrap the cut to help seal the moisture in and also to give the branch extra strength. I put the plant in a fish tank(empty) and put a piece of glass on top to make a humidity dome. The cutting looks good but I also only did it a few hours ago.

I have a bunch of pics to put up but I'm gonna wait until I have a before and after. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grafting wax is a good idea. I just went into my med garden and took the top off of the fish tank to let the plant breath and to kinda watch the graft/wound to see what happens. The cutting looks good so far but were also only 24 hours in to the experiment.

I'll watch it for a few hours and post some more info shortly.

I just checked on the graft and it still looks good. I sprayed a little water on the wound, cutting and host plant and put the top back on my make shift greenhouse. I think the key is keeping the cutting and wound/graft moist.

I found a website with several different grafting methods if anyone else is interested.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/grafting.html

I used the splice method for this graft. I think I'm gonna try to side veneer graft my purple kush on to my host plant next. Just gotta wait for the PK to get a little bigger.

I'll post more info when i get home from work tomorrow.

I just checked on the grafted cutting and everything still looks good and green. Its been in my make shift greenhouse for 48 hours so far. I'm gonna take the top off and let it dry out a little.

The reason I used clonex to seal the wound was I saw a video with a guy that had 11 different strains on 1 plant and he used clonex to seal the wound and keep the moisture in.

Thing is ya dont want to root the cutting , but make it GRAFT to the host. Ya dont want root hormones. Seal them up and let them rip. Read up on tree grafting as it's about the same......... It can be done but breading is way better

Y is breeding better? I'm not trying to cross strains here, I'm trying to have 1 plant with at least 15 different strains. My plan is to always have a variety of meds available to grow. Now I will only have to use 1 of my 12 plant sites for a mother and i'll be able to flower 11 different strains if not more. Cloning is always faster then planting seeds.

SO, I just went to check on the graft and it was lookin a little saggy. Its been in my "greenhouse" for almost 3 days. I'm gonna leave it in there until I get home then check it again. If everything looks good then I'm gonna take it out of the green house and let it sit out for a while and watch it from there.

well, I just got home from work and everything is still green but its been in my greenhouse for 3 days straight. I'm gonna let it dry out for a few hours and then put it back under the lights. I'm currently using 2 t-8 flor and 1 150 watt cfl until the heat cools off a little then I'll set up my 400 watt light.

I'll post some more pics tomorrow after being out of the greenhouse for 24 hours. I'll also post an update around 10 pm tonight.

Wouldn't wrapping the two in plastic keep moisture locked in and cause mold. I am fairly sure this same thing was done on youtube and he ending up removing the plastic wrap and using string or something to tie it together. Just a thought.

Great idea and thanks for taking the time to show us. I will be trying this one day as well.

well, I just got home from work and everything is still green but its been in my greenhouse for 3 days straight. I'm gonna let it dry out for a few hours and then put it back under the lights. I'm currently using 2 t-8 flor and 1 150 watt cfl until the heat cools off a little then I'll set up my 400 watt light.

I'll post some more pics tomorrow after being out of the greenhouse for 24 hours. I'll also post an update around 10 pm tonight.

great idea letting it dry out for a bit :)

Shes still green. I'm not really sure but there might be a little new growth. I didn't pay to close attention to all the bud sites on the cutting but I think there was a just 1 or 2 small ones and now there are a least 4 or 5 but of course I medicated before I went to work on her.

I think that string is the way to go to. If this graft doesn't make it then I'm gonna try string and grafting wax with the "side-veneer" method. The side-veneer method looks like it would be easier to position and mount/wrap.

I'm gonna leave her out of the greenhouse from here on out. I'll post again on her status around 8 tomorrow morning. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Shes still green. I'm not really sure but there might be a little new growth. I didn't pay to close attention to all the bud sites on the cutting but I think there was a just 1 or 2 small ones and now there are a least 4 or 5 but of course I medicated before I went to work on her.

I think that string is the way to go to. If this graft doesn't make it then I'm gonna try string and grafting wax with the "side-veneer" method. The side-veneer method looks like it would be easier to position and mount/wrap.

I'm gonna leave her out of the greenhouse from here on out. I'll post again on her status around 8 tomorrow morning. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

im in the front row and very attentive :)

a little growth can/will happen without roots forming...... but i dont need to tell you to keep an eye on it :)

i hope this works out for ya!!

Archived