** THE OFFICIAL DETROIT TIGERS 2011 THREAD**

edit 4-4-11: going to make this the official 2011 season thread instead of starting a new one.

GO TIGERS!!

========================================

im the biggest baseball nut in the world. if its not buds, its baseball..... all day every day. been a tiger fan for over 30 years.... through thick and thin..... through 15 years living in California.

die-hard.

hate the indians..... hate the bum yankees.... love baseball.

the old stadium was my 2nd home. saw hundreds of games growing up. lou whitaker, alan trammel, kirk gibson, sparky anderson........

i saw cecil fielder hit one OVER the stadium :) i saw a rookie named griffey in 1989 make one of the greatest catches of all time right under me. i was a front row bleacher creature :)

so happy to be 2 hours away from Comerica instead of 2,000 miles.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me too. Grew up in royal oak. Was either at the ballpark or at the zoo.

Remember getting out of school early in 68 to go home & watch the world series. Listening to my am radio in my room late at night, good times..........

Got the autograph card collection & we all have our favorite tiger jersey.

The end of baseball & softball season are always sad times around here........ A good football team would help till Hockey starts again.. lol...

Me too. Grew up in royal oak. Was either at the ballpark or at the zoo.

Remember getting out of school early in 68 to go home & watch the world series.

that was just a couple years before my time.... you have my envy. truly.

i remember the 84 series like it was yesterday. dad and i on the living room floor in front of the old console wooden frame television. we screamed so loud from home that they must have heard us at the park.

so many memories. its a part of life...... just like my plants.... it really truly is a part of life :) like breathing. you breathe, you eat, you poop, you sleep, and you watch the tigers play ball.

i came back home from cali 3 years ago for a quick trip. my dad had never been to the new park before. after all the wonderful memories he gave me as a kid, i felt obligated to repay.

it was July 4th. my dad is a vet.

great drive....... we took I75....... passed the old park. it was still standing and looking very shabby. it was epic. 1/2 of my heart lies on the corner of michigan and trumball. if you find it... leave it lay there please :)

we got there just as the gates opened so he could have time to walk around the new park for the first time. he too has stories from the 68 series :) is was so cool to see his face as he looked around. military fly-over during the national anthem. a pause in the game to salute veterans. great seats. the tigers won. pudge's 2000th game. a smile on dads face all day. one of the best days of my life. tears in my eyes thinking about it.

too cool

Don't you love it when people say it's only a game................

lmao.... only a game :)

ask any life-long cub fan.

yeah, they could take the easy way out and say "its only a game" but you will never hear it.

ask a yankee fan in a year they dont make the divisional championship game.....

its not just a game :) took my wife a few years to catch on........ but she now knows........

its life. and it affects us day-to-day :)

we gave away granderson.......... no sex for 2 weeks in my house :)

its not just a game :)

just stoked to see the sports category :)

im the biggest baseball nut in the world. if its not buds, its baseball..... all day every day. been a tiger fan for over 30 years.... through thick and thin..... through 15 years living in California.

die-hard.

hate the indians..... hate the bum yankees.... love baseball.

the old stadium was my 2nd home. saw hundreds of games growing up. lou whitaker, alan trammel, kirk gibson, sparky anderson........

i saw cecil fielder hit one OVER the stadium :) i saw a rookie named griffey in 1989 make one of the greatest catches of all time right under me. i was a front row bleacher creature :)

so happy to be 2 hours away from Comerica instead of 2,000 miles.

Rusty Staub ,Joe Coleman,

I had a complete set of 68 topps tiger cards when I left for the service. My dad (bless his heart) threw them out while I was gone.

I have replaced all but norm cash. I know, its only a game..............

"Rusty Staub , Joe Colman", Careful your age is showing.......... Its too late for me ..lol...

WHOA....yer taking me way back now BG....

I literally lived on Michigan and Trumball. Went to hundreds of games...ah to be young again. SO many good memories there....

Got to meet Bill Lajoie thru my grandfather when I was I don't even know how old...maybe 12 or so? He took me thru the backdoor to the locker room one day to meet all my hero's. Huge day for me, even now looking back on it. I remember as I was leaving that I had not gotten to meet my favorite player and as we were leaving in came Aurelio Rodriguez. My day was complete after that. :)

My best friends dad was a close friend of "The Bird", so got to play a little ball with him when I was a teen at their Brighton home.

Man oh man...I could go on and on.....

Thank you for this post BG. My day just turned around!

WHOA....yer taking me way back now BG....

I literally lived on Michigan and Trumball. Went to hundreds of games...ah to be young again. SO many good memories there....

Got to meet Bill Lajoie thru my grandfather when I was I don't even know how old...maybe 12 or so? He took me thru the backdoor to the locker room one day to meet all my hero's. Huge day for me, even now looking back on it. I remember as I was leaving that I had not gotten to meet my favorite player and as we were leaving in came Aurelio Rodriguez. My day was complete after that. :)

My best friends dad was a close friend of "The Bird", so got to play a little ball with him when I was a teen at their Brighton home.

Man oh man...I could go on and on.....

Thank you for this post BG. My day just turned around!

speechless.

mark_fidrych4.jpg

one of the all-time greats.

truly one of the greatest movies of all time :)

the wife always said she could see me mowing down my plants if i ever heard a voice like that :)

all bullshyt aside....... shoeless joe in my backyard??

the crops gotta go :)

give me the chance to see sweet lou and mr. trammell turn one more double play and i'd give it ALL away. the keystone kids.

ernie harwell on the radio.

ok..... i gotta stop now :)

nope...... its not just a game.

I'm ashamed to say I haven't been down to the park in a few years. The last game for me was the playoffs in 2006. Seeing Mags hit that walk off home run in the bottom of the 9th was SUREAL!

At that moment, once that ball went over that wall, everyone loved everybody else. It was a sight I have NEVER EVER seen before. Everyone hugging complete strangers, high fiving, jumping up and down, laughing, crying, screaming in joy. God is was incredible.

Detroit was incredible that night. I'm tearing up right now thinking about it.

My first and only playoff game but man was it good.

Cold too!!!! LOL

I'm ashamed to say I haven't been down to the park in a few years. The last game for me was the playoffs in 2006. Seeing Mags hit that walk off home run in the bottom of the 9th was SUREAL!

At that moment, once that ball went over that wall, everyone loved everybody else. It was a sight I have NEVER EVER seen before. Everyone hugging complete strangers, high fiving, jumping up and down, laughing, crying, screaming in joy. God is was incredible.

Detroit was incredible that night. I'm tearing up right now thinking about it.

My first and only playoff game but man was it good.

Cold too!!!! LOL

top 10 greatest moments of my life :)

goosebumps:

i was home on the couch......... but im sure you heard me all the way from the west coast.

'84 was bittersweet. I lost my Dad the year before. He was kind of a baseball nerd and taught me everything about the game, even coached two of my teams. That was the last year I played. I subscribed to the "hit 'em where they ain't" philosophy and just about always got on base. I lost interest completely after the player's strike, but I'll always remember being at those games at Tiger Stadium with my Dad, not to mention all those long games we used to watch on tv. Ever play APBA?

Best night of my life....

I'm going to have to refrain from replying to this thread for a little while. You really don't know the nerve you struck with this thread BG. Emotions are flowing and I'm bawling like a 5 year old girl.

At one time baseball WAS my life. Its all I did. I was playing ball in other states and I was decent. I think I might have had a chance or at least I was going to try my best. I fully planned on being a ballplayer when I grew up until I blew my leg out in 5 places snow skiing. I couldn't run after that and my dream went away....

I'll reply later after I regain my composure. Thank you for this thread.

Best night of my life....

I'm going to have to refrain from replying to this thread for a little while. You really don't know the nerve you struck with this thread BG. Emotions are flowing and I'm bawling like a 5 year old girl.

At one time baseball WAS my life. Its all I did. I was playing ball in other states and I was decent. I think I might have had a chance or at least I was going to try my best. I fully planned on being a ballplayer when I grew up until I blew my leg out in 5 places snow skiing. I couldn't run after that and my dream went away....

I'll reply later after I regain my composure. Thank you for this thread.

believe me..... i feel you.

after reliving the memories of the old park this morning.......... and then the memory of taking my dad to his first game at the new park........... hearing other peoples stories...........

and then watching that video over and over like 10 times................

yup, like a little girl man.

The 3 most recent standout memories for me when it comes to baseball...

Attending the last game at Old Commiskey Park, way too memories growing up in and around that place to ever forget it.

Attending the first game at "US Cellular" park aka the Cell, it lacked the warmth of the old place, but once the game started none of that mattered, even in the drab nose bleed seats that felt like if one person fell they would take out the entire section.

The World Series run of 2005, it was just a magical season and postseason that I probably will never see again in my lifetime. Getting to see every home playoff game was a dream come true. Just wish they would have lost an extra game or 3 during that run so that the series wins would have been at home.

It's not just a game, it is part of my spirit and being..... the only thing that comes close is hockey.

oldies :)

al kaline.....

and here's one for you older folks......... bill freehan :)

some people invest in coins.... i prefer cardboard :)

med_gallery_13801_60_628301.jpg?t=38712884

Nice Kaline's

I have a little collection myself, I would lead with the complete Sandy Kaufax collection, relatively mint (baseball card term of art) condition. And yes i have those books with the sheets of plastic, it was pretty much the only book i read as a kid.

and i have vivid and fond memories of Trammel, Gibby 1984. That was a god year for baseball.

ok, no bullshyt....... this thread really did get very very very sentimental for a few of us there for a few days. im just as guilty as anyone.

lets gently step back into it :)

we are done for the year. obviously.

not a bad season..... but no play-offs either.

the loss of curtis granderson will tinkle me off until i die.

glad to see our "normals" have a good year.

cabrerra for MVP!!

thanks to brandon for another stellar year at 3rd. love to see you making ESPN's top 10 plays of the day with your bare-handed wonderfulness.

austin jackson...... welcome to D-town my friend. thanks for a great year. congrats to you. you had big shoes to fill and did a dang good job.

maggs? so much love.

'nuff said.

Archived