Jars

Bisharoo

Well my friends, I would like to learn more about how jars should be properly maintained for best cannabis storage. I know there was a thread recently about a journal to see how meds would store over time.

I just want to know some things. I have always heard that you should let your med jars breathe a few minutes maybe 5 per day. I have always done this pretty much, but I don't really know how or why it all works.

Can you help educate me?

Thanks!!

just a copied/pasted quickie for ya :) i'll be back with more after dinner :)

Your bud may look over dry or a little crisp when done. Over dry is much much better then moist. The texture and smell will come back while curing in the jars.

Your bud is smoke-able but harsh until cured in jars. The longer it stays in the jar, the smoother the smoke and the stronger the smell.

I like the 32oz wide mouth Ball mason jars. They can be found at every grocery store, but next to impossible to locate the isle they are on. Look hard:

gallery_13801_182_42005.jpg

Don't pack the bud in the jar. Fill them up about 80% to 90%. You can get close to an ounce of small buds in a jar. Less if they are bigger bud:

gallery_13801_182_77777.jpg

If the bud is a bit too long, don't squish it or bend it. Just cut it up:

gallery_13801_182_90896.jpg

After your jars are filled, take a break (you need it):

gallery_13801_182_48164.jpg

Always store your jars in a cool, dark, and safe location. Light is bad for your meds.

Try to remember to open each jar daily for the first week. about 10 minutes. either agitate the buds in the jars, or dump them out and refill the jar. after doing this for a week, you can get by with every other day if you are lazy like me :) It's also a good idea to check for mold while opening each one. make sure that you are letting things air out good before re-sealing.

We can never wait the month that is recommended for jar curing. But it does get much better as time passes. After a month it is killer.

drying and curing will also ensure maximum potency. some of the THC is in a non-psychoactive acidic form.

curing your meds the right way will convert the non-psychoactive acidic compounds into psychoactive THC.

this is allowing chlorophyll to break down naturally over time as well..... ensuring a more pure taste, and less of a "earthy, plant matter taste".

9 times out of 10, the THC will begin to break down somewhat after 3 months of curing.

not saying you gonna have ditch weed if you leave it in a jar for 6 months...... believe that :) just saying that normally after about 90 days in jars it is about as good as its gonna get for most strains.

edit:

i urge you to wait at least 30 days though :)

its worth it

drying and curing will also ensure maximum potency. some of the THC is in a non-psychoactive acidic form.

curing your meds the right way will convert the non-psychoactive acidic compounds into psychoactive THC.

this is allowing chlorophyll to break down naturally over time as well..... ensuring a more pure taste, and less of a "earthy, plant matter taste".

9 times out of 10, the THC will begin to break down somewhat after 3 months of curing.

not saying you gonna have ditch weed if you leave it in a jar for 6 months...... believe that :) just saying that normally after about 90 days in jars it is about as good as its gonna get for most strains.

edit:

i urge you to wait at least 30 days though :)

its worth it

Wow, I learned so much in a short time span. I need to change some of my jar habits. Not a lot but some tweaking now armed with additional knowledge. Individual human beings with a common cause and propensity for helping their fellow beings is such a powerful tool. And some (BG) are more helpful than most! Sitting up ?

I had a tendency for a while to trim and jar my meds either a little too dry or a little too wet, resulting in a cure that wasn't really optimal. I found the following thread on curing at the proper moisture level very helpful:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=156237

This method is particularly effective for folks who are starting out, those looking to maximize quality in a shorter period of time, and folks who's like to produce a connoisseur-quality product each and every time with no guesswork involved.

It's a very simple and effective process:

Cut the product, trim it per your preference, but don't dry it until the stems snap. Take it down while the stems still have some flex, but the product feel dry on the outside. This is a perfect opportunity to drop the dry-feeling flowers onto a screen and collect prime-quality kief that would otherwise get lost in the jar.

Jar the product, along with a Caliber III hygrometer. One can be had on Ebay for ~$20. Having tested a number of hygrometers - digital and analog - this model in particular produced consistent, accurate results. Then, watch the readings:

+70% RH - too wet, needs to sit outside the jar to dry for 12-24 hours, depending.

65-70% RH - the product is almost in the cure zone, if you will. It can be slowly brought to optimum RH by opening the lid for 2-4 hours.

60-65% RH - the stems snap, the product feels a bit sticky, and it is curing.

55-60% RH - at this point it can be stored for an extended period (3 months or more) without worrying about mold. The product will continue to cure.

Below 55% RH - the RH is too low for the curing process to take place. The product starts to feel brittle. Once you've hit this point, nothing will make it better. Adding moisture won't restart the curing process; it will just make the product wet. If you measure a RH below 55% don't panic. Read below:

Obviously, the product need time to sweat in the jar. As such, accurate readings won't be seen for ~24 hours, assuming the flowers are in the optimal cure zone. If you're curing the product for long-term storage, give the flowers 4-5 days for an accurate reading. If the product is sill very wet, a +70% RH reading will show within hours. If you see the RH rising ~1% per hour, keep a close eye on the product, as it's likely too moist.

I found the cheap hygrometers to be a good tool for helping me find the right moisture zone for best curing and storage.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Humidor-CALIBER3-Thermometer-Hygrometer/dp/B0007W1EA6/

I Always read that after hang drying the meds they appear to be very dry but really there is alot of moisture in the inside of the bud. Sealing them in air tight jars will redistribute the moister throughout the bud. You let them breath to get out extra moisture. I have also read to wait till branches snap before jaring them but have found that when they snap they are too dry so i jar them a bit before the snapping point.

I Always read that after hang drying the meds they appear to be very dry but really there is alot of moisture in the inside of the bud. Sealing them in air tight jars will redistribute the moister throughout the bud. You let them breath to get out extra moisture. I have also read to wait till branches snap before jaring them but have found that when they snap they are too dry so i jar them a bit before the snapping point.

Hey, nice lookin' out herbnurse. That is good to know also. I thank you, my friend...

I had a tendency for a while to trim and jar my meds either a little too dry or a little too wet, resulting in a cure that wasn't really optimal. I found the following thread on curing at the proper moisture level very helpful:

I found the cheap hygrometers to be a good tool for helping me find the right moisture zone for best curing and storage.

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B0007W1EA6/

boro, you are a very helpful human. Thank you kind sir. This is all great stuff to learn here.

• 2 months later...

I looked about and could find no better thread to post in, so...

A patient friend gifted me some of their caregivers

1st. harvest. It is very light, puffy and DRY! No buds to speak

of and very few amber trichs. I didn't want to give too much of

a negative response but, it sure didn't look promising. Really

dry harsh smoke w/ out any notable quality.

I decided to try to cure it. Although this was harvested

a bit before I received it, I figured... what the hay. I had read

somewhere in the forums about being able to "re-cure" meds

(for lack of the proper term). I put this fluff into the large mouth

jelly size mason jar, put them in a box. After 2 full days, I opened

them. The meds were now darker and there was so much more

amber. I open about 5-10 min a few times each day now for the

last 1 1/2 wks and it is really quite incredible how every aspect

of these meds have improved.

Am I experiencing a hope induced illusion :startle: or,

can/ has/ does this really work?

Any feedback,? ty

I kind of think it does. Just my opinion, based on nothing but my gut.

Hey, how do you guys keep hash fresh? I believe it may get mold in a jar at room temp. so I have been putting mine in foil in the freezer ala circuit 1970 something, so what do you guys do with hash to keep it fresh?

I looked about and could find no better thread to post in, so...

A patient friend gifted me some of their caregivers

1st. harvest. It is very light, puffy and DRY! No buds to speak

of and very few amber trichs. I didn't want to give too much of

a negative response but, it sure didn't look promising. Really

dry harsh smoke w/ out any notable quality.

I decided to try to cure it. Although this was harvested

a bit before I received it, I figured... what the hay. I had read

somewhere in the forums about being able to "re-cure" meds

(for lack of the proper term). I put this fluff into the large mouth

jelly size mason jar, put them in a box. After 2 full days, I opened

them. The meds were now darker and there was so much more

amber. I open about 5-10 min a few times each day now for the

last 1 1/2 wks and it is really quite incredible how every aspect

of these meds have improved.

Am I experiencing a hope induced illusion :startle: or,

can/ has/ does this really work?

Any feedback,? ty

of course i do not know the exacts of your case, but the odds are this:

the caregiver had more than what they needed/could have. he/she cut all the best stuff off the branches and got it to his patients and was left with some lowers that he/she needed to off quickly.

odds are you got those meds directly off the vine after hanging for a week or so straight.

thus they were too dry and never really cured.

if a caregiver has more meds than they need/can have they need to get rid of it quickly........... not after it sets in a jar for a month.

this is a problem with the law, but this isnt the time or place...........

so yes, if this is the case, rehydrating your meds and then "curing" them for some time is going to be of great benefit to you.

Thanks, I knew I wasn't imaging it (my imagination isn't THAT good :P ) !

This is a good bit of information for those that may not grow and want

to improve upon what they acquire.

Can this jar method be used w/ similar results even if the meds are not

so 'freshly' harvested?

The reason it was not cured is understood and unfortunately I believe this

happens all too often (?) esp. for those who have inexperienced caregivers

or...

thanks so much

Thanks, I knew I wasn't imaging it (my imagination isn't THAT good :P ) !

This is a good bit of information for those that may not grow and want

to improve upon what they acquire.

Can this jar method be used w/ similar results even if the meds are not

so 'freshly' harvested?

The reason it was not cured is understood and unfortunately I believe this

happens all too often (?) esp. for those who have inexperienced caregivers

or...

thanks so much

not really.

you can always change the moisture content and appearance of your buds, but taste and potency must be dealt with shortly after harvest.

as a matter of fact i am ATM :)

pics to come!!!!

always glad to help........

B.G You are the man, I know im older than you and have prob been growing alot longer than you, but you have taught this old dog so many new tricks, Im so grateful to you! Its hard for a man my age who has smoked just about everything under the sun to admit this but I :bow: to you!

You take learning and teaching to a level I wish our college proffersors and phd's could do, you are awsome!

I will always remember some of the new things ive read in your threads, I know i have asked you some realy stupid questions at times. just to see how you would respond, guess what? you responded just like i thought you would, you joked back when necisarry and you answered when necisarry, you are a good man and im very thankful you are here for all of us to learn something!, I realy like your curing methods!, and Im loving the dog kennel grow, i have 2 or 3 dog kennels! Hey those are lockable right! yea my next hill bill grow. lol

Peace

FTW

Jim

P.S im looking forward to your next mm quest! Thank you B.G im a lot more covert than you, becuase of my past and present ventures in this field in this state!

:rock:;):beerhat::camp::roadrage:

thanks herb, I will try both ways this time!

Peace

FTW

Jim

not really.

you can always change the moisture content and appearance of your buds, but taste and potency must be dealt with shortly after harvest.

I'm discovering this to be true also, from another jar experiment!

Thanks BG

Also, thanks to the OP Bish for posting the questions :D

Archived