Troy Raid Adds To Pot-Growing Concerns

bobandtorey

A police raid of a state-approved medical-marijuana patient’s home harvest in Troy highlights what Oakland County authorities have said are growing abuses of the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act.

<BR itxtvisited="1">

Yet, to the drug’s proponents, it’s an example of heavy-handed police actions taken against people trying to comply with the law.<BR itxtvisited="1">

The raid was announced in a Troy police report sent to the news media today, nearly a month after it took place Oct. 12 and before any decisions had been made about whether charges would be filed against the unnamed suspect. It comes at a time when communities across Oakland County are trying to figure out how to handle marijuana-growing operations. <BR itxtvisited="1">

The Southfield City Council, for example, met with its city planning director tonight for an update on medical marijuana and the possibility of adding a zoning ordinance that might allow people to grow their supply in light-industrial areas on 8 Mile. <BR itxtvisited="1">

The council is expected to decide in January. <BR itxtvisited="1">

In the Troy raid, police said they are seeking a warrant from the Oakland County prosecutor to press charges of manufacturing and possessing marijuana.<BR itxtvisited="1">

Police gave this account:<BR itxtvisited="1">

Officers, acting on a tip, obtained a search warrant for a house on Coolidge, north of Square Lake Road. They found the following: “14 mature plants, 79 seedlings planted and 30 plants that had already been harvested. … Scales and packaging material were also located. The resident had a medical marijuana card (showing state approval to medicate, from the Michigan Department of Community Health) but not a caregiver’s card (showing state approval to provide medication for as many as five approved patients).” <BR itxtvisited="1">

Under the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act, an individual patient may raise up to 12 plants but may possess only 2 1/2 ounces of usable medicine, state-approved caregiver Terry Payne of Sterling Heights said.<BR itxtvisited="1">

Troy City Attorney Lori Grigg Bluhm said today that “the law is pretty clear on the limit you can have,” and that the suspect on Coolidge clearly exceeded what he was allowed to possess and cultivate as a state-approved patient.<BR itxtvisited="1">

Read more: Troy raid adds to pot-growing concerns | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/20101108/NEWS03/101108071/Troy-cops-bust-medical-marijuana-site#ixzz14q1cj91O

They found the following: “14 mature plants, 79 seedlings planted and 30 plants that had already been harvested. … Scales and packaging material were also located. The resident had a medical marijuana card (showing state approval to medicate, from the Michigan Department of Community Health) but not a caregiver’s card

If the above is absolute truth then Wow, thats one hell of a black eye. This is the kind of thing that shouldnt be happening in the MMJ community. Its ppl like this person abusing the system that is going to cause tighter restrictions, possible inspections from LEO or worse. THe law is very specific on limits,its too bad some ppl cant just be happy with 12 plants. :thumbsd:

They found the following: “14 mature plants, 79 seedlings planted and 30 plants that had already been harvested. … Scales and packaging material were also located. The resident had a medical marijuana card (showing state approval to medicate, from the Michigan Department of Community Health) but not a caregiver’s card

If the above is absolute truth then Wow, thats one hell of a black eye. This is the kind of thing that shouldnt be happening in the MMJ community. Its ppl like this person abusing the system that is going to cause tighter restrictions, possible inspections from LEO or worse. THe law is very specific on limits,its too bad some ppl cant just be happy with 12 plants. :thumbsd:

this is the kind of thing we don't need your right about that

this is the kind of thing we don't need your right about that

They took a month to decide what to do.

As I said before. What took place at your home would not happen today.

If they had any common sense, they would drop your case and take their lumps.

Oakland county is looking at a long string of lawsuits. Right now they have to win in every criminal court case to survive.

And that's not going to happen. They'll win some, but not all. Not by a long shot. I'm guessing not even most cases. Then comes the lawsuits.

They will be hurting for a very long time to pay for what they've done.

Just wish we could nail a few of "them" in criminal charges also.

The guy in this story? He's going down, my guess. It doesn't look like there's much help anyone could give him.

About the only thing that could save him would be a change in federal law.

Oakland county is looking at a long string of lawsuits. Right now they have to win in every criminal court case to survive.

And that's not going to happen. They'll win some, but not all. Not by a long shot. I'm guessing not even most cases. Then comes the lawsuits.

The guy in this story? He's going down, my guess. It doesn't look like there's much help anyone could give him.

he will use the AD and it's a good AD case but not here inn Oakland County he may not even get a fail trial here

I agree with PeanutButter and Bob and Torey

These facts are what police say.14 plants reasonable amount to keep uninterrupted supply.

79 seedlings half are male others are cherry picked to get the best 12.

30 dried plants they might be counting each branch that are drying.

I hope the best for this person.

Nobody should ever go to jail over there right to grow medicine.PEROID!!!!!!

These facts are what police say.14 plants reasonable amount to keep uninterrupted supply.

Hi Jeff.

Someone in Tuscola county had their house taken yesterday.

Have you heard about this case? Folks call him Giggles. Pat is the first name,I believe.

hi Jeff!

I agree that is what the police leaked to the news! How do we know how many mature plants this guy realy had,

and as far as the 30 already cropped i thought they couldnt count seeds , stalks, stems, and any left over plant matter!

as far as scales go, I got one, I use it for mailing and weighing my stuff i sell thru ebay, (not weed)

If some one is using bag seed than what are they supposed to do just plant 12 at a time till they get all females?

I feel sorry for the people of oakland county! It looks like y'all in oakland are gonna be setting a lot of case precendence!

Peace

FTW

Jim

hi Jeff!

I agree that is what the police leaked to the news! How do we know how many mature plants this guy realy had,

and as far as the 30 already cropped i thought they couldnt count seeds , stalks, stems, and any left over plant matter!

as far as scales go, I got one, I use it for mailing and weighing my stuff i sell thru ebay, (not weed)

If some one is using bag seed than what are they supposed to do just plant 12 at a time till they get all females?

I feel sorry for the people of oakland county! It looks like y'all in oakland are gonna be setting a lot of case precendence!

Peace

FTW

Jim

As much to the point ... how did the LEO's know that this guy, who had a card, was exceeding his alloted # of plants and storage? Maybe an informant - but maybe, and IMO, more likely, they were guessing. And that's exactly what most growers I've talked to think of the new law; t's just a way of putting yourself on the radar, and law enforcement will simply use the list like a map of hot fishing spots ... "let's go if we can catch this guy in anything".

If I'm not mistaken, if you're a registered caregiver, the state reserves the right to inpsect the premises .. if that's true, it's basically consenting to search by registering under the law? (Informed parties invited to comment pls.)

I know some people don't want to hear that ... but I think many growers have good reason to stay out of the whole thing.

best,

rabbit

If I'm not mistaken, if you're a registered caregiver, the state reserves the right to inpsect the premises .. if that's true, it's basically consenting to search by registering under the law? (Informed parties invited to comment pls.)

Thanks for the question.

Inspections are flat out forbidden in the law:

Section 6 (g) Possession of, or application for, a registry identification card shall not constitute probable cause or reasonable suspicion, nor shall it be used to support the search of the person or property of the person possessing or applying for the registry identification card, or otherwise subject the person or property of the person to inspection by any local, county or state governmental agency.

this is true and like as said be for we just don't know if Leo was counting branch or plants i hope he comes here and tells his Story

sso sad over number in plants is unnecessary risk, with clones can grow big females that yield overages to the point that 36 plants (and 2 mothers) still put you over on plants and maybe on dried bud, might be tech difficulties causing a newby to temporarily over possess or patients firing grower w/o notice in case of a vet, but guys you use up your byes in kindergarten and sports gambling. Combo of 79 males males/famales is more than 72 plants and you are not yet making the rules. The rule is do the crime pay the time.

That guy who got busted in Troy might have been the one who was actually busted for shooting a deer from inside his kitchen with a crossbow. Problem was that the deer dropped near the pond behind his house which is surrounded by other residential homes (he lived in a subdivision). They saw the deer, the DNR looked for where the arrow came from, and they found all the stuff by looking in his kitchen windown.

The search warrant for that stuff was done and they found his grow operation then. It was on the 6 oclock news a couple weeks ago.

That guy who got busted in Troy might have been the one who was actually busted for shooting a deer from inside his kitchen with a crossbow. Problem was that the deer dropped near the pond behind his house which is surrounded by other residential homes (he lived in a subdivision). They saw the deer, the DNR looked for where the arrow came from, and they found all the stuff by looking in his kitchen windown.

The search warrant for that stuff was done and they found his grow operation then. It was on the 6 oclock news a couple weeks ago.

How did you make that connection? (of deer shooter to pot bust)? Did the paper have that whole schming together?

If that's true ... well, it's like 'the darwin awards' of cannabis growing, he kinda NEEDED to get busted to thin out the herd.

Archived