Best Bulbs?

rockinlespaul

pretty sure you know where i stand on lamps :)

but thanks for starting this thread, and thanks for giving me a little spot here. (i didnt even ask i know :) )

so glad you are out to get new lamps........ it's a great reminder of the least thought of part of most people grow rooms.......... the lamps.

we see these lamps every single day. oh they get dim...... believe that, but because we see it every day, we dont notice it.

lamps (bulbs) are just like most other stuff in commerce.... ya get what ya pay for. if you save a few bucks on your lamps initially, you may want to change them more often.

time flies by, the plants come and go, we medicate heavily........... and as long as the light kicks on every day, we dont give it another thought sometimes.

EFFICIENCY!!

make grow lamps one of the main concerns in your grow room. write down dates and prices of purchases/replacement dates. see what you like and what works best for you and your room.

CHANGE THEM OFTEN!!! just because there is light coming out of that bulb, doesnt mean its the best light possible. yeah it can be a tough pill to swallow when it comes time to purchase lamps...... and thats probably why they are so often forgotten. THATS A CRAPLOAD OF CASH WHEN THE LAMP YOU HAVE NOW IS STILL SPITTING OUT LIGHT!! trust me, i feel ya.

just wanted to take this time to remind everyone that while the new inline fan, or the latest/greatest nutes are way cool, and may help your grow.............. but your lamps are the #1 most important thing in your grow room.

ok, i feel obligated to share. and this is opinion only..... no negatives needed or wanted. putting that out there RIGHT NOW :sword::)

i love the plantmaxx. they may not last quite as long as the others, but i normally replace this brand every 6 months anyways. when first hooked up, these things will blow you away for the first few weeks. dont let the price fool you...... they are cheap, but as i said, i replace every 6 months.... so by the time i buy 2 or 3 i have spent about as much as i would for a hortilux......... but that hortilux is going to be getting pretty beat by the last few months of the one year that i keep those around, and with these i get a new one/fresh light every 6 months. https://www.ultraloh...duct_detail&p=4

these are my favorites. either the 600 or the 1k. not really sure why..... i just love them. super bright, super lumens, and i change these about every 10 months: http://www.4hydropon...nmasterSuperHPS

(we were discussing the lowes brand)

although........ ventures for veg :thumbsu: no shame there. for real. especially the 400w. they get the job done for 1/2 the price of high end 400w mh lamps.

every few cycles i will buy expensive 400's for veg just to prove myself wrong..... but after the good ones burn out, i go back to the ventures and i swear there is no difference.

i run a SHYTLOAD of 400w MH's. more of those than anything by far.

maybe im a sucker for the intial lumens, i dont know. but i like to buy cheap and replace often. you should pick up a plantmaxx and try it out side by side. you got nothing but 40 bucks to lose.

yes and no. hortilux is the cadillac. no doubt. but they have been around the longest and have the biggest following too.

over the years, all these new brands starting popping up to compete with hortilux and their mainstay was quality and life span.

just like cars or guitars..... you can get one that drives/plays just as good as the top dollar model..... but its just not the top dollar model. :)

like i said, i think a lot of people get way involved with the life span thing and just go with the hortilux, bite the bullet one time, and "thats it for another year".

well, initial lumens are HUGE. obviously if you replace you lamps every 6 months, you get to go through the initial lumen period of a new bulb twice a year..... as opposed to once a year with a hortilux. and there is no way in hell im buying hortilux and replacing every 6 months............ ive grown with enough comparable bulbs to say that i will probably never buy another hortilux in my life. i will never bash them or tell anyone NOT to buy them....... but i wont anymore.

anyways, there are a couple p.m.'s on my feelings and lamps.

if you can get HI-lux for $100 DO IT.

if not...... look around..... you may find something that not only fits your budget a little better......... but might just give you better results too :)

dang.... i forgot about your "retired profession" :)

i knew the guitars could be a dead give-away..... but rhyming it with "cars" ?? i coulda maybe thrown them with that.......... but i totally forgot the car part tends to you as well :)

You never know. With the time I have on my hands and the right group of people, I just may come out of retirement. I certainly miss a stage. And a Les Paul thru a LOUD Marshall. :)

Cars...I'll stay retired, lol. Except to enjoy driving. :)

I did not know you could even get 1K bulbs that cheap :) thanks for letting me know this cause once I start growing my wife will be btching all the time about money being spent so it is easier to come up with the 40.00 even if I got a new one with each plant cycle. Hey Rockin my dad makes guitars by hand and these things are awesome. You would love them. When I say by hand I mean by hand because he only has 1 ;) I will try and get some pics for you. he spends a ton of money on Wood and the electrics so it is TOP quality.

I did not know you could even get 1K bulbs that cheap :) thanks for letting me know this cause once I start growing my wife will be btching all the time about money being spent so it is easier to come up with the 40.00 even if I got a new one with each plant cycle. Hey Rockin my dad makes guitars by hand and these things are awesome. You would love them. When I say by hand I mean by hand because he only has 1 ;) I will try and get some pics for you. he spends a ton of money on Wood and the electrics so it is TOP quality.

I'd love to hear more about your dad! Pictures? Occasionally I will comission a builder to build something for me. Would he be up to that? Can he build a Les Paul? :)

I will ask him and see if he can let me get some pics for you of the guitars he has built. He probably could build a les paul. I wish I knew more about guitars to tell you more now. he is pretty busy since his retirement LOL seems funny. I will keep in touch with you about this

Eye hortilux super hps for me :thumbsu:

Before i never really saw big calxyses now i see them poppin up all over my bloom box . :blink:

I agree! Nice buds and I am able to pull nice colors as well!

I'm starting my second run with the Dual Arc Hortilux here soon....I should be able to give you a report of those shortly.

Archived