The Kenewell's Christmas Contest

santa-reading_dickey_010408.gif

Christmas Contest

Christmas for us has always been more about giving than receiving. And we know that the economy is tight for a lot of people these days. So in the spirit of Christmas, and just for a little fun for the holidays, we're going to give away 3 years of free recertifications! (that is, no doctor's fee and we'll pay your state fee as well)

Post in your own words (in 1000 word's or less) how medical cannabis has improved your health or benefited your well being and/or peace of mind since starting in the Michigan Medical Marijuana Program. Please include your age, what your qualifying condition is, and how long you've suffered the condition and, obviously, how cannabis has impacted that.

To win, you must be an existing MM patient (not open to new patients). If you're not an existing patient of ours, you will have to supply adequate documentation of your qualifying condition to redeem. If we don't feel that you have enough medical documentation to support your condition, we'll disqualify you and select another winner.

For simplicity, please keep your replies in this thread and post only once. We will end the submissions December 20th at the end of the day. Four finalists will be chosen by us and put up for a vote by the members of these forums Dec 21st. Vote will end Dec 22nd at 9pm and the winner will be announced. We will modify or clarify any of this if needed.

Good luck and Happy Holidays from our family to yours!

Dr. Bob and Alyscia Kenewell & kids

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest thequietone

You might want to put a word limit on the entries or you may get some overly long ones. Most writing contest that I have entered like this will have a word count of 1000 words or less.

You might want to put a word limit on the entries or you may get some overly long ones. Most writing contest that I have entered like this will have a word count of 1000 words or less.

Thank you for pointing that out, we edited our post to reflect it should be 1000 words or less :thumbsu:

wow, i cannot even do the math as to how much $$ this contest is worth. $600-$1000 is good enough of a number for me.

i will expel myself from competition and wish you all the best.

may i offer a 2nd place prize for your competition Dr. & Mrs. Kenewell?

we all had the Christmas competition idea right about the same time. Tarzan has a fun one going....... but not much skill or time involved with that one. Yours may not be as fun, but the prize is unbeatable.

If it is ok with you guys, i would like to donate a 2nd place prize?? up to you fine folks.

wow, i cannot even do the math as to how much $$ this contest is worth. $600-$1000 is good enough of a number for me.

i will expel myself from competition and wish you all the best.

may i offer a 2nd place prize for your competition Dr. & Mrs. Kenewell?

we all had the Christmas competition idea right about the same time. Tarzan has a fun one going....... but not much skill or time involved with that one. Yours may not be as fun, but the prize is unbeatable.

If it is ok with you guys, i would like to donate a 2nd place prize?? up to you fine folks.

BG,

We would be honored to have you offer a second place prize :thumbsu: Thank you for all you do for every one all throughout the year, you are a true asset to this community, and Thank you for participating with us in our contest to make it even more special :goodjob:

When I was 19 I went in to have an operation on my knee to rid me of a grinding, the pain after surgery never went away. During the surgery they also did a lateral pattela release, which they have now figured out is what causes my pain. There is one operation to fix the issue I have but no surgeon will do it due to the risk of it messing my leg up more than it is, so I am stuck walking with a cane and a limp, spasms where my leg kicks like someone is checking my reflexes on my knee, and pain from my thigh to my knee. I spent the first year and a half on vicodin 5mg 4-5 times a day, then went on to 6-7 times a day and they changed me to 7.5mg vicodin 5-7 times a day, after 6 months of that I went to Oxycontin 10mg 2-4 a day. My mother of all people started pushing medical marijuana on me and I was hesitant at first but smoked a joint anyway. It was the first time in 3 years that I had no pain at all, and the first thing I did was go for a jog. Soon later I noticed that the medical marijuana also eliminated almost entirely my muscle spasms which made walking, driving and almost everything a challenge, so I got legal as fast as I could. I have now been a legal patient for a year and am getting my life back, while on pain killers I had lost my job, some friends and all of my savings. On pain killers I was depressed, shut in, an donkey, and someone who just hated everyone and everything for no rhyme or reason, now I am 23, working, saving, and enjoying life. It also helps me with my asthma which is bad to the point it usually hospitalizes me around fall when it goes from warm to cold, I find myself not relying on a rescue inhaler and able to take full breathes after medicating. Medical marijuana has given me a life again and got me completely off of painkillers that would surely kill me eventually. It has also been a great help in how my girlfriend of six years feels, she hated seeing me depressed all of the time and I treated her like dirt for no reason, all of that has changed and we are still happily together, which is really all I can hope for.

Off topic but I feel it has helped me quit smoking cigarettes as well, I quit cold turkey and the first few weeks when I really wanted a smoke I just medicated, I think what i was missing was the physical act of smoking and it really helped get past that.

On a side note I would like to not be counted for a first place nomination, there are people more needing of the free renewal than myself, my family doctor handles mine so I only have to pay the state and it would not be right for me to take it.

If not obvious me condition is sever and chronic pain and spasms.

I would like to nominate Baby Girl,i think we all know the story of the 6 yr old girl with a inoperable brain tumor,that is being treated with MM.she is far from cured,but MM has changed her life,no more migrains,she can sleep 8-10 hrs a day now instead of 3-4.she is going to school for the first time,and doing good, even staying all day.best of all to me is she lets people hug her again,and if your lucky she will hug you back.lol on a recent trip with her to the photographer,she even let them put a bow in her hair and change hats a few times,her daddy said WOW! a year ago that would of never happened.it is awesome to witness her getting better all the time.im anxiousley waiting for her next MRI in January. her family is struggeling right now as mom is only able to work part time since this,and dad is recovering from a recent surgery,and waiting on workmans comp.so any help would be greatly apreciated,anyone that can help,should contact a leader at the MMMA.Thank you for considering this family.

I appreciate the sentiments about Baby Girl. Our heartfelt prayers go out to her and her family. When Baby Girl comes up for recertification, as a minor, she'll need 2 physicians signatures, and of course we'll help her out.

About the contest: The point of this is to try to bring some positive stories to light. There's been some bad press regarding the program, and I think this is a good opportunity to share with others some of the positives that we all hear so often, but that don't always get told in the open forums. So please do share your stories.

Please refrain from nominating others. The stories should be in your own words, and about your own experience, such as Ionic7's post. Which is a great story, by the way.

in 2006 I was working full time going to college and dealing with 4 children and a husband.I have had back pain for about 5 years before my doctor did and MRI.Next thing I know I am in Saginaw having surgey.I have been diagnosed with degenaritve disc disease and depression,I had 2 back fusions and was put on morphine ,which they found out I was allergic to it,next on the list was vicodin,well that just made me suicidal!I was loosing everything and I was on a medication that can cause depression.I also lost about 20 pounds while on the meds cause they messed with my stomach.I was sleeping all the time,never went to my kids games or concerts in fear I would have to sit on bleachers,or have to get up in front of everybody to move around.I stayed home and slept that was pretty much my day.My husband suggested I try Medical Cannabis I told him he was nuts people just want to get high.One night the pain was so bad I had nothing and I refused to go to ER.I smoked a joint and wow I just felt better right away.It helped me relax for the first time in years.Now I use Cannabis on a daily basis and it had changed my life so I can enjoy it.I can help around the house which was not possible before ,I can enjoy my wonderful kids who sees mom walking around smiling which they did not see much of because of the pain and depression.I'm not sure if this is a good thing but at the last doctor check I had gained 13 pounds.I love making dinner that is the best part of the evening.Before I never cooked who wanted to cook when you are standing there feeling sick.It was every body who suffered not just me, so medical cannabis has helped my whole family.I truly beleive that God have given us the perfect plant.

I would just like to applaud and thank Ionic for sharing their story even though they do not "need" the prize. :goodjob:

Thank you, and thank you kenewell, its good to get these good stories out in the open to show people how it really can change lives, there has to be more people out there with good stories lets hear em!

santa-reading_dickey_010408.gif

Christmas Contest

Christmas for us has always been more about giving than receiving. And we know that the economy is tight for a lot of people these days. So in the spirit of Christmas, and just for a little fun for the holidays, we're going to give away 3 years of free recertifications! (that is, no doctor's fee and we'll pay your state fee as well)

Post in your own words (in 1000 word's or less) how medical cannabis has improved your health or benefited your well being and/or peace of mind since starting in the Michigan Medical Marijuana Program. Please include your age, what your qualifying condition is, and how long you've suffered the condition and, obviously, how cannabis has impacted that.

To win, you must be an existing MM patient (not open to new patients). If you're not an existing patient of ours, you will have to supply adequate documentation of your qualifying condition to redeem. If we don't feel that you have enough medical documentation to support your condition, we'll disqualify you and select another winner.

For simplicity, please keep your replies in this thread and post only once. We will end the submissions December 20th at the end of the day. Four finalists will be chosen by us and put up for a vote by the members of these forums Dec 21st. Vote will end Dec 22nd at 9pm and the winner will be announced. We will modify or clarify any of this if needed.

Good luck and Happy Holidays from our family to yours!

Dr. Bob and Alyscia Kenewell & kids

This is awesome! I love to hear about the giving....makes me smile! Good luck to your patients!

OOps, I didn't respond correctly, so here's my post to the contest:

This is awesome! I love to hear about the giving....makes me smile! Good luck to your patients!

And, with Bubblegrower's 2nd prize - wow!

Again good luck to all your patients out there!

i have removed myself from the competition, but in the spirit of the season, and positive things stemming from MMJ, i offer you this OLD post that i dug up this morning.

I met my wife in the early 90's at an Ohio college. She had epilepsy and smoked pot. There were no medical laws at this time...... she just had epilepsy and smoked pot. Shortly after our graduation, California passed Prop 215 and we caught the next thing headed that way. She was a smoker, I wanted to grow, we were young and dumb....... and hey, it's California right? So we got there, she applied for a patient card and we started cultivating.

When we found out shortly after that we were pregnant, she stopped EVERYTHING cold turkey. Cigarettes, the occasional beer, and yes even the cannabis smoking. We were in to see the doctor and started on all the vitamins and regular appointments and stuff very early in the pregnancy. By the third month, she was having a REAL rough go of it. Morning sickness became a 24/7 plague. She couldn't keep ANYTHING down. Saltine crackers and water would be on a 5 minute time limit in her stomach.

IT GOT REAL BAD

By the middle of month 4 she had been hospitalized twice for dehydration. Not totally uncommon I understand, but when it is your girlfriend and your baby, that doesn't matter. We tried every medication on Earth. And then one day, after taking 3 bites of lunch and vomiting them back up minutes later, she had a breakdown. She was a frail bundle of nerves and all I could think about was the baby inside her, and the possibility of her seizing while pregnant and in this poor physical condition. Against her wishes, best judgment, and motherly instincts, she finally gave in to my begging and smoked a joint. I just wanted to see her calm and relaxed for once after 2 months of hell. Well, my wish came true. Of course the effects of marijuana are instant, and within minutes she was smiling and feeling somewhat better. Yes, her papers say that Medical Marijuana will help ease the effects of her epilepsy, but I also knew that it helps a lot of people with nauseousness and had been pleading with her for a few weeks to give it a shot, but the "mother inside her" feared harming the baby. So anyways, we giggle for a bit and she decides she has "the munchies".

In the next 30 minutes, she prepared and devoured an entire large pepperoni pizza AND held it down. From then on, she smoked nearly every other day until delivery. The remainder of her pregnancy was a storybook of health and perfection. She was in labor for only 7 hours, and our first child, a daughter, was born 100% healthy at 7lbs 5oz.

Thank God, 13 years later, I have a cheer leading, track running, honor roll achieving, and in my opinion, "Most Beautiful Daughter on Earth" award winning kid for my child.......

........THANK YOU MEDICAL MARIJUANA.

I am not implying that the ingestion of ANY substance other than food is healthy during pregnancy. Our situation was extreme, and I honestly believe in my heart that without the help of MMJ, my oldest daughter would either be disabled or wouldn't even be here at all today.

BubbleGrower- I had never read that post, thank you so much for "digging it up". In retrospect, I wish my fear of mmj and the "risks" while pregnant were not so abundant while I was pregnant for our daughter, who is now 12. Won't get into a long story, but due to my health, inability to sustain nutrients and major steroid usage (prescribed and neccessary), they had to perform an emergency c-section to save both our lives at 32 weeks. I am not one who condones the use of mmj during a normal pregnancy, but as you stated, in very extreme cases, where the outcome could be fatal or where the alternative could be very extreme, as a compassionate being, who could really find fault in the one thing that helps prevent that? AND allows a beautiful soul to be born normal and healthy! Thanks again for sharing!! :goodjob:

BubbleGrower- I had never read that post, thank you so much for "digging it up". In retrospect, I wish my fear of mmj and the "risks" while pregnant were not so abundant while I was pregnant for our daughter, who is now 12. Won't get into a long story, but due to my health, inability to sustain nutrients and major steroid usage (prescribed and neccessary), they had to perform an emergency c-section to save both our lives at 32 weeks. I am not one who condones the use of mmj during a normal pregnancy, but as you stated, in very extreme cases, where the outcome could be fatal or where the alternative could be very extreme, as a compassionate being, who could really find fault in the one thing that helps prevent that? AND allows a beautiful soul to be born normal and healthy! Thanks again for sharing!! :goodjob:

kinda makes you wonder what studies could uncover??? why is it that we must turn to MMJ in extreme cases only?? just makes ya wonder???

once again...... NOT suggesting cannabis use during pregnancy............ but wow...... makes ya wonder of the possibilities.

I will tell everyone how mm has changed my life.

I have fibromialgia, Hep C, an possibly a form of MD, called chardon marie tooth syndrome, but without health insurance I can't get tested for it, my chances of having it are unfortunately good cause my grandfather had muscular dystrophy also.

I will tell everybody that perscription drugs are addicting an in most cases can be deadly.

I just seen on TV where a law firm are suing the drug Co that came out with darvon an darvasette years ago, saying the pills has caused heart problems etc.., including death,

What I'm getting to with this is that marijuana has kept me from pursuing other pain relief, and also curbs my nausea from my hep C.

Marijuana for me growing up was essential back then also cause it kept me calm an able to function as a single parent.

I'm happy to be able to help my patients with meds that help make their pain manageable.

After growing up with a mother who was addicted to darvon, darvasette sleeping pills, etc ..I swore I would never go down that road, it was like living in hell house.

Marijuana is safe an effective, I tell my girls all the time, alcohol should be banned an marijuana legalized, and I'm sure if my dad were still alive he would say the same thing, you see when cops get called to a domestic violence call, its always alcohol.

This contest will still end on the 21st, however there must be at least 25 entries for the 4 to be chosen for a vote by the members here. If there are fewer entries we will choose the 1st place winner, and we will ask that bubblegrower choose the 2nd place winner, as he will be giving the 2nd place prize.

not to be a scrooge here, but i am a bit disappointed that more of you have not shared your stories :(

this is a wonderful contest with a HUGE prize. and all you need to do is spend 15 minutes typing us your story?

that's the exact purpose of this site. to share with the intention to help.

NO OFFENSE to Tarzan's contest, but it's pretty "stereotypical of potheads" that 150 of you will take the 10 seconds to take a guess at how many cookies are in a jar in an attempt to win a $50 bag of pot.......... but nobody wants to spend 15 minutes for a chance to win HUNDREDS of dollars worth of certs??

bah humbug :(

Archived