Us House Cuts Funding For The War On Drugs

Just got this in my inbox.

Thanks to the overwhelming response Congress received from supporters like you, huge drug war spending cuts have been approved by the House! Hundreds of millions of dollars used by state and local law enforcement agencies for ineffective drug war policies will be cut, and the ridiculous and ineffective national anti-marijuana ad campaign has been cut completely.

Now we need to do the same for the Senate!

Tell your Senators to approve the House's spending cuts to failed drug war programs!

https://secure2.convio.net/dpa/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=641&s_src=actctr

The new budget is still not set. The Senate has generally been unsupportive of scaling back the drug war in years past, so they need to hear from you! Now is the time to let your Senators know we cannot afford to wait any longer to end the drug war!

Please take a minute to write your Senators and tell them to approve these necessary spending cuts immediately!

Sincerely,

Bill Piper

Director, Office of National Affairs

Drug Policy Alliance

There needs to be a forum topic/thread set up like the other one to start this process of contacting Senator Debbie Stabenow and Senator Carl Levin.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Senator Carl Levin's e-mail is: senator_levin@levin.senate.gov

His office information is:

WASHINGTON

269 Russell Office Building

U.S. Senate

Washington, DC 20510-2202

Phone (202) 224-6221

Fax (202) 224-1388

TTY (202) 224-2816

8:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m

DETROIT

Patrick V. McNamara Federal Building

477 Michigan Avenue, Suite 1860

Detroit, MI 48226-2576

Phone (313) 226-6020

Fax (313) 226-6948

TTY (800) 851-0030

9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.

TRAVERSE CITY

107 Cass Street

Suite E

Traverse City, MI 49684-2602

Phone (231) 947-9569

Fax (231) 947-9518

ESCANABA

524 Ludington Street, Suite LL-103

Escanaba, MI 49829-3949

Phone (906) 789-0052

Fax (906) 789-0015

SAGINAW

515 N. Washington Avenue, Suite 402

Saginaw, MI 48607-1370

Phone (989) 754-2494

Fax (989) 754-2920

GRAND RAPIDS

Gerald R. Ford Federal Building, Suite 720

110 Michigan Street, NW

Grand Rapids, MI 49503-2313

Phone (616) 456-2531

Fax (616) 456-5147

WARREN

30500 Van Dyke Avenue, Suite 206

Warren, MI 48093-2109

Phone (586) 573-9145

Fax (586) 573-8260

LANSING

124 W. Allegan Street, Suite 1810

Lansing, MI 48933-1716

Phone (517) 377-1508

Fax (517) 377-1506

____________________________________________________________________________________

Senator Debbie Stabenow's e-mail is: senator@stabenow.senate.gov

Her office information is:

Washington, DC Office

Senator Debbie Stabenow

133 Hart Senate Office Building

Washington, DC 20510

Phone: (202) 224-4822

Southeast Michigan Office

Senator Debbie Stabenow

243 W.Congress Suite 550

Detroit, MI 48226

Phone: (313) 961-4330

Mid-Michigan Office

Senator Debbie Stabenow

221 W. Lake Lansing Road, Suite 100

East Lansing, MI 48823

Phone: (517) 203-1760

Western Michigan Office

3280 E. Beltline Court NE, Suite 400

Grand Rapids, MI 49525

Phone: (616) 975-0052

Flint/Saginaw Bay Office

432 N. Saginaw St, Suite 301

Flint, MI 48502

Phone: (810) 720-4172

Northern Michigan Office

3335 S. Airport Road West, Suite 6B

Traverse City, MI 49684

Phone: (231) 929-1031

Upper Peninsula Office

1901 W. Ridge

Marquette, MI 49855

Phone: (906) 228-8756

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Peanutbutter, this is great news. We need to hammer them like we did the state legislature!

Mizerman

There needs to be a forum topic/thread set up like the other one to start this process of contacting Senator Debbie Stabenow and Senator Carl Levin.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Senator Carl Levin's e-mail is: senator_levin@levin.senate.gov

His office information is:

WASHINGTON

269 Russell Office Building

U.S. Senate

Washington, DC 20510-2202

Phone (202) 224-6221

Fax (202) 224-1388

TTY (202) 224-2816

8:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m

DETROIT

Patrick V. McNamara Federal Building

477 Michigan Avenue, Suite 1860

Detroit, MI 48226-2576

Phone (313) 226-6020

Fax (313) 226-6948

TTY (800) 851-0030

TRAVERSE CITY

107 Cass Street

Suite E

Traverse City, MI 49684-2602

Phone (231) 947-9569

Fax (231) 947-9518

ESCANABA

524 Ludington Street, Suite LL-103

Escanaba, MI 49829-3949

Phone (906) 789-0052

Fax (906) 789-0015

SAGINAW

515 N. Washington Avenue, Suite 402

Saginaw, MI 48607-1370

Phone (989) 754-2494

Fax (989) 754-2920

GRAND RAPIDS

Gerald R. Ford Federal Building, Suite 720

110 Michigan Street, NW

Grand Rapids, MI 49503-2313

Phone (616) 456-2531

Fax (616) 456-5147

WARREN

30500 Van Dyke Avenue, Suite 206

Warren, MI 48093-2109

Phone (586) 573-9145

Fax (586) 573-8260

LANSING

124 W. Allegan Street, Suite 1810

Lansing, MI 48933-1716

Phone (517) 377-1508

Fax (517) 377-1506

____________________________________________________________________________________

Senator Debbie Stabenow's e-mail is: senator@stabenow.senate.gov

Her office information is:

Washington, DC Office

Senator Debbie Stabenow

133 Hart Senate Office Building

Washington, DC 20510

Phone: (202) 224-4822

Southeast Michigan Office

Senator Debbie Stabenow

243 W.Congress Suite 550

Detroit, MI 48226

Phone: (313) 961-4330

Mid-Michigan Office

Senator Debbie Stabenow

221 W. Lake Lansing Road, Suite 100

East Lansing, MI 48823

Phone: (517) 203-1760

Western Michigan Office

3280 E. Beltline Court NE, Suite 400

Grand Rapids, MI 49525

Phone: (616) 975-0052

Flint/Saginaw Bay Office

432 N. Saginaw St, Suite 301

Flint, MI 48502

Phone: (810) 720-4172

Northern Michigan Office

3335 S. Airport Road West, Suite 6B

Traverse City, MI 49684

Phone: (231) 929-1031

Upper Peninsula Office

1901 W. Ridge

Marquette, MI 49855

Phone: (906) 228-8756

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Peanutbutter, this is great news. We need to hammer them like we did the state legislature!

Mizerman Yes another auto reply to all like the otehr one..rock we all blast it on face book or any other thing you might socialize on..I do..

I will do it as soon as I can, just having a bad time right now. I believe I will be able to send my senators later today, at least that is my plan! Thanks to croppled1 and the rest I am inspired to try this today. What can it hurt? Maybe hearts are being changed, like we are striving for.

I borrowed some of their words, added a few of my own, and sent this to both Senators. I would be happy to loan you any or all of these words for your own email. Send to:

senator_levin@levin.senate.gov

senator@stabenow.senate.gov

Date: Friday, February 25, 2011, 8:20 AM

Dear Senator Levin:

I urge you to cut funding to the failed war on drugs. Some programs will have to be cut to reduce the deficit. One of the biggest and most destructive wastes of money is the war on drugs. Not only is this war unjust and ineffective, it is counterproductive.

The war on drugs is creating many problems - broken families, increased poverty, wasted tax dollars, prison overcrowding, racial disparities, and eroded civil liberties. The United States now incarcerates more of its citizens in both absolute and per capita terms than any other country in the world, with less than 5% of the world's population but nearly 25% of the world's prison population.

There are many drug war programs that are ripe for cuts. The evidence shows that the Byrne Justice Assistance Grant program, the National Youth Anti-Drug Media Campaign, and many other drug war programs not only don't work but do more harm than good. As you write the new federal budget, I hope you include cuts to these and other failed drug policies.

Thank you for listening.

Sincerely,

i say we follow in Portugal's footsteps.

no criminal laws for any type of possession. strict laws on behavior and crime prevention, but not drug abuse. treatment facilities are better, cheaper, and way more effective than prisons.

and i am also very surprised at some of the sincere responses i got from the "auto send" contact software BB posted a while back. i am actually interacting with our congress to effect change. even if its only one word at a time.

now on to our senators.

this is great news Pb thanks for posting.

best way to win is to cut off the funding to the army of law enforcement people wasting the resources...and then re-appropriate not only the saved billions cut from direct spending, but then add to that the money eventually earned from the new boom in the economy and its a recipe for a "win -win" scenario

then all we need to do is retrain those Leo to be border patrol and or homeland security to stop terrorist from blowing us up.

sounds to simple right....

Dear Senator Stabenow,

Please stop wasting money waging the war on drugs. The war has failed, but unfortunately it has managed to destroy many lives and waste fantastic, unbelievable amounts of resources needlessly.

These resources could be out to much more productive use, and I know your constituents would agree that we don’t have the resources to waste.

Current strategy only empowers drug cartels, large corporate interests, and corrupt officials. I know that you, being an honorable duly elected of the Great State of Michigan, will do what is right here and change the course of this failed program, now that we see the need.

Please defund these wasteful, harmful programs today. That would ease our burdens and will bless the lives of many individual Michigan citizens.

Thank you for your time.

We have to work both ends of this government thing... STATE and FEDERAL!

When the federal policy changes (NOT IF but WHEN) it will result in nearly nationwide medical marijuana.

Many local regulations depend on federal law and policy.

Probation orders are written that might be applied against a mmj patient because of federal law.

Local laws are being written saying you can't break federal law in our city or township.

Housing, hospitals, doctor offices, universities, the list goes on and on .. all have policies that depend on federal law.

The whole thing collapses with a change in federal law.

When the federal policy changes (NOT IF but WHEN) it will result in nearly nationwide medical marijuana.

Probation orders are written that might be applied against a mmj patient because of federal law.

Local laws are being written saying you can't break federal law in our city or township.

Housing, hospitals, doctor offices, universities, the list goes on and on .. all have policies that depend on federal law.

With you all the way!

The 'boneheads' in Washington will eventually get the 'hint'... but we 'have' to keep at it.

And we can't prepare too soon for 2012!

You hit the nail on the head PB.

Friends,

We MUST call the offices of Levin & Stabenow about this. Do you realize that if the Senate follows the House then the days of the little jack-booted thugs in Oakland County going around and acting like the Nazi's and Gestapo will be a thing of the past.

There won't be any more funding for their fear-mongering and armed robbery of our brothers & sisters!

Mizerman

You hit the nail on the head PB.

Friends,

We MUST call the offices of Levin & Stabenow about this. Do you realize that if the Senate follows the House then the days of the little jack-booted thugs in Oakland County going around and acting like the Nazi's and Gestapo will be a thing of the past.

There won't be any more funding for their fear-mongering and armed robbery of our brothers & sisters!

Mizerman

AMEN

It sure would be nice to have one less thing to worry about. Someone said we are medical prisoners. It's an accurate description. Being in this program was a very difficult decision. After I learned some very important aspects of what all is involved, I took my time deciding. You don't know how close I came to deciding not to participate. I'm still debating with myself whether I'll renew or quit. Which side will win, I still don't know.

Sb

Just got this in my inbox.

Thanks to the overwhelming response Congress received from supporters like you, huge drug war spending cuts have been approved by the House! Hundreds of millions of dollars used by state and local law enforcement agencies for ineffective drug war policies will be cut, and the ridiculous and ineffective national anti-marijuana ad campaign has been cut completely.

Now we need to do the same for the Senate!

Tell your Senators to approve the House's spending cuts to failed drug war programs!

https://secure2.convio.net/dpa/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=641&s_src=actctr

The new budget is still not set. The Senate has generally been unsupportive of scaling back the drug war in years past, so they need to hear from you! Now is the time to let your Senators know we cannot afford to wait any longer to end the drug war!

Please take a minute to write your Senators and tell them to approve these necessary spending cuts immediately!

Sincerely,

Bill Piper

Director, Office of National Affairs

Drug Policy Alliance

I really hope they scale back the funding for busting medical growers. Because there is so many Billions we could be devoting to education and putting people to work versus keeping the prison industrial complex alive and well. this includes the money they give joint task forces. The DEA money alone could rebuild lots of inner city schools.

OK .. we have two weeks.

Yesterday the US Senate passed a bill that would allow the federal government to function for two weeks.

THEY SIMPLY MUST CUT SPENDING. There is nothing else they can do.

The US House has made massive marijuana war spending cuts. Much of the money these multi-jurisdictional task forces are funded by the tax money the House has labeled for cutting.

Task forces with names like "SANE" or "BAYNET."

If the federal government cuts their budget for these inSANE forces, will the state of Michigan pick up the tab? I don't think so. Our state is also trying to figure out where to cut spending ..

Two weeks .. tell the US senate to stop paying for inSANE task forces. Stop the war against marijuana.

OK .. we have two weeks.

Yesterday the US Senate passed a bill that would allow the federal government to function for two weeks.

THEY SIMPLY MUST CUT SPENDING. There is nothing else they can do.

The US House has made massive marijuana war spending cuts. Much of the money these multi-jurisdictional task forces are funded by the tax money the House has labeled for cutting.

Task forces with names like "SANE" or "BAYNET."

If the federal government cuts their budget for these inSANE forces, will the state of Michigan pick up the tab? I don't think so. Our state is also trying to figure out where to cut spending ..

Two weeks .. tell the US senate to stop paying for inSANE task forces. Stop the war against marijuana.

Pb, A very LARGE portion of the money used by Michigan LEO for MMJ busts comes from the Federal government.

Without those funds they will HAVE to re-think which 'drugs' they should go after, 'IF' they are going to stay in the 'business' of 'drug busting'.

With the Nation literally facing bankruptcy they soon will have no other choice.

If 'welfare' can be cut for the poor, then it can also be cut for 'government' agencies as well.

Hi All thanks for keeping us current on this, I sent my letter and personalized it, too. If enough of us do this, it could ease a LOT of our stress. Stress is a leading cause of illness, we have enough to deal with. Thanks again for sharing!

Sincerely, Sb

Archived