Aclu: State Police Using Cellphone 'extraction' Device

Here is the article:http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/27564088/detail.html

Here is the video (must watch): http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/27563909/index.html

As if it isn't scary enough that they feel perfectly fine searching people's cell phones and computers without warrants, they also responded to a FOIA request regarding the usage of the devices (5 devices in total) with a $500,000 processing fee. No those familiar with FOIA know that the requesting body is responsible for the costs in obtaining the requested records, but a half million?!?! They must use some pretty expensive printing paper or something!:growl:

... those familiar with FOIA know that the requesting body is responsible for the costs in obtaining the requested records, but a half million?!?! They must use some pretty expensive printing paper or something!:growl:

They are obstructionists, pure and simple, medical marijuana obstructionists.

They are obstructionists, pure and simple, medical marijuana obstructionists.

They are TERRORISTS, pure and simple.

They are likely to be in violation of the Fourth Ammendment .

And the cost of the FOIA is another instance of their heavy-handed attitude.

Can anyone give us an email listing of the members of the State Senate and House Committees so that we can write of our outrage ?

Dr. Jinx

Codes wont stop that machine. Looks like some kinda ROM reader. It will make an exact copy of whatever is in the memory including Operating System, Data: Msgs., #'s, pics, codes, pass words, etc.

Exactly right. In computer forensics you can't change the evidence be it on a hard drive or memory chip or card. Just by mounting it you will make changes that can cause a good computer forensics investigator to dispute the validity of the evidence. Their devices can make bit by bit images without making any changes to the original device. They do a CRC check of the device before and after they access it to prove they have made no changes. Once they have the image they can gather the information they need.

I am still looking at if I should get a CISSP so I can get the PI license necessary to do the computer forensics stuff. I thought it would be a nice retirement job that could allow me to take cases defending people against getting railroaded. There are very few good computer forensics experts in the private sector.

would swiping a phone over a neodymium magnet make the info unretrievable?

Nope. You are dealing with flash memory, not a magnetic storage media like a floppy drive or tape. A short run in the microwave should do it or physical destruction of the memory chip.

Well just in case the world decides to persecute you..

1. keep your phone clean - no pictures of marijuana grows (border patrol can strip your car)

2. erase text messages frequently and often. Don't leave incriminating conversation where someone can read it

3. don't use last names in your directory, don't make it easy for someone to look up your contacts

4. keep your phone in the car if you are stopped. If you are arrested, at the jail everything on you will be seized and inspected. If left in the car, the car will be impounded, and the contents will be documented, not seized. After the car is impounded and inventoried - further search and seizure will require a warrant.

5. pay as you go phones, for business

-DN

pnut: answer is yes up to point of any arrest or custodial situation. clearly our technology may be our undoing. my personal experience is at the time of release, after night in jail, i got alot of cat calls from the police desk. they seemed to know about my love live and my ladyfriends. sobs

I was just asking the lady that, I have a password on my phone just so it doesnt pocket call but its a 4 digit password, can these blast right through that or would that stop them right there?

They don't need the phone or the code to access info. Just your phone bill and text messages. That's what put Kwamie behind bars. All electronic communications produce trails of information. I had an online stalker and it was at that time I learned most life departments have an internet guy who continually takes classes on how to hack and do forensic examinations on computers and electronic communications devices.

DO NOT TEXT!

Those messages are saved for a long time by the phone company. Look at Kilpatrick for a good example of how much texting can get you screwed.

Phone calls are safer... but if you want truly safe and secure communication, use encrypted instant messaging on your computer.

Archived