Warren Caregiver Shoots And Kills Intruder

semicaregiver

Very curious story considering how the anti crowd want to play up the danger of homebased grows.

This story was reported on Fox 2 Monday PM and they showed the house and police coming and going. They also reported that the police suspected the reason for the attempted breakin was that the homeowner was a registered patient/caregiver with a basement full of mmj. I could not find a link on the Fox website, but the Detroit News reported on it and did not mention the grow.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110502/METRO03/105020393

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sad to see a young life wasted....but as Charlie Daniels once said...

" now I'm the kind of man that wouldn't harm a mouse,but if but if i catch somebody breakin in my house ,got a 12 gauge shotgun waitin on the other side"

I haven't read or watched one news story that even mentions MM or this poor home owner being a CG. Posting speculative stories with no back-up does our community no good what so ever!

If someone finds the story this poster says mentions this guy was a CG please post the link. We have a right to defend our person and homes even if we are CG's.

But to try and connect MM to story like this where there is no connection is wrong and suspicious.

Ed

PS: Found this but doesn't say he was a CG

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2011/05/03/news/cops_and_courts/doc4dbff145d49cb816016740.txt?viewmode=fullstory

A 17-year-old intruder was fatally shot Monday morning by an occupant of a home on Los Angeles Street, near Nine Mile and Ryan roads in Warren, police said.

Officials said the would-be burglar — identified by police as Mack Devante Click of Warren — unsuccessfully tried to enter the house through two windows and was shot when he got through a third window at approximately 10 a.m.

"The homeowner was in the home and had time to arm himself with a shotgun,knowing something was going on. He then confronted the intruder," Warren police Commissioner Jere Green said.

The occupant, identified only as a 31-year-old man, fired one blast that struck Click in the upper thigh and groin, police said.

Click fled the house and collapsed in the backyard, bleeding profusely. Paramedics transported him to William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, where he was pronounced dead, Green said.

Police said the homeowner who killed the intruder dialed 911 to report the incident. Officers soon arrived and when they began to question him he began hyperventilating and was taken to a hospital for treatment of a panic attack.

After doctors released the Warren man, he went to Warren police headquarters as he was advised by officers to do, for questioning.

Green said the man was not held in custody against his will, but he requested an attorney be present before answering any questions Monday afternoon.

Investigators believe Click was shot moments after entering through the window, and that the gunman fired from within the house. A knife that matched others in a cutlery set inside the home was found in the backyard, police said.

An autopsy is scheduled to be conducted this morning by the Oakland County Medical Examiner's Office, Green said.

Investigators plan to present their findings to the Macomb County Prosecutor's Office for review, to determine whether any criminal charges should be filed against the homeowner. Police believe he did not know Click.

No other firearms were found inside the house, located in the 3100 block of Los Angeles. However, officers saw marijuana that belonged to the homeowner for medical usage. Investigators are trying to determine whether the presence of the marijuana was a factor in the break-in.

"The secondary effects of that are well known in the law enforcement community," Green said. "If it's one of those (locations) where a person is growing or distributing, it's only a matter of time before people know it. (blaming the victim)

"The criminal element (of society) could be attracted, knowing marijuana is grown there or money is there."

The city's top police administrator also said neighbors did not report seeing or hearing anything unusual at the house on Monday, although one woman reported that she heard a noise at her house, leading her to believe someone may have tried to break into her home.

Police officials said a juvenile court petition was filed against Click in 2009 for a robbery in Eastpointe.

The point of my posting this was to highlight what appears to be a big difference between Macomb and Oakland Counties. Oakland would have been all over this guy and probably confiscated his grow and called in the press to show how allowing home based grows creates crime.

From the Oakland Press description of his home location he got really lucky. Sounds like he is only a block or two from being in Oakland Cty.

Break-ins happen in "Those" areas all the time.

"Those"=working class neighborhoods.

The MMJ is incidental.

There were a string of robberies a few years ago in Ferndale where the burglars were specifically looking for guns.

My buddy didn't have any guns in his house, the kicked in his back door and didn't even bother to steal his TV or computer.

Folks are breaking in to any house that looks like its empty for the day, and may have something of value inside.

The only solution is to have nothing of value in anyone's homes.

Which I believe is Gov. Synder's plan for the "Working Man"-Booyah!

"Working Man"= Everyone who is not one of Rick Snyder's Golfing Buddies

I think I'd put a hole in my ceiling as a warning shot before I'd put a hole in the kid. :(

That only gives the perp time to slid the knife between your ribs straight into your heart.

Those f#@#$rs come into your home with murder on their mind, they wont hesitate to terminate a witness.

That's just how it is.

Plan accordingly.

I think I'd put a hole in my ceiling as a warning shot before I'd put a hole in the kid. :(

isn't it enough work to mop up the blood stain? now you want to patch and paint the ceiling too? if your breaking in those are the breaks. I NEVER feel sorry for thieves. F 'em

This event will slow down break ins in that area.

For most young people, there is a basic set of information that is considered before conducting a break in.

Only about 1 in 4 break ins result in a conviction.

If the thief can locate someone that is breaking the law, they have found the perfect victim. That victim can NOT call the police. When the victim does not call the police, they have established themselves as a repeat victim.

Before the law changed, I was broken into more than ten times. That completely stopped when I shot one of them. In fact it stopped in the entire area that I live in. The change lasted for a very long time.

I'm still on probation for doing exactly what this person did.

I can tell you that several people moved out of my area the day after the shooting. I think they believed that I was about to hunt them down one at a time.

There were over one hundred unsolved cases in my area. A small group of people had discovered the joys of cocaine and heroin. Now the break ins are at zero.

When someone gets shot, the young people have another factor to consider. When thinking about doing a break in they also now consider the reality of being shot while doing their "thing." This causes many to look for another way to make money.

Sounds like he said 8 key words "I thought he was going to KILL me" then 8 more "I want a attorney present before I'm questioned". A woman heard noises of someone trying get in a few houses away it was a random hit. As far as his stash immaterial.

Blueberry,

I think you mis-read the story. This seems to be a very "positive" story for a registered, armed patient/caregiver that has interaction with LEO. My point in posting it was to show that Oakland County's neighbors do not act the way Oakland does.

From what I have read and saw on Fox2, Warren police were totally cool with happened and did not mess with the guys stuff or arrest him. They just asked if he would stop down at the police station the next day so they could complete their paperwork. I know the report says he went with his attorney, but wouldn't you considering you just shot and killed someone?

Bad news, the timing for this incident is not so good either. Guns and MMJ do not seem to get along so well, however if this guy was not armed I shudder to think of what fate could have befallen him. My heart goes out to the homeowner as well as the dumb-donkey kid that lost his life. But that's what happens to robbers.

It sounds as if this young-man was already well down the road of a life of crime before making his last mistake and breaking into this home.

We'll see where the press takes this, or is lead!

Crime is a fact of life in all neighborhoods in America and the coincidence of cannabis being in the victims home is just that a coincidence.

If officials are ignorant enough to try and connect the two then all cars need to be out-lawed to stop car-jacking's, banks closed to stop bank robberies and so on.

Ed

Im all for home defence. But alittle more non lethal approach could of gone along way here. In the age of rubber bullets, sandbags, gases, and m18 tasers with lasers... This kid could of had a shot at reformatiy. You know, a chance to at least learn a lesson, maybe grow up and grow out of that type of life style. No, instead you have a crime scene where your growing (thats a bright idea) and the life of a child you took to think about the rest of yours. I dont know about you, but this kid was holding a knife and you have a shotgun... You cant hold him at gunpoint or at least AIM FOR THE WEAPON?!?

Im all for home defence. But alittle more non lethal approach could of gone along way here. In the age of rubber bullets, sandbags, gases, and m18 tasers with lasers... This kid could of had a shot at reformatiy. You know, a chance to at least learn a lesson, maybe grow up and grow out of that type of life style. No, instead you have a crime scene where your growing (thats a bright idea) and the life of a child you took to think about the rest of yours. I dont know about you, but this kid was holding a knife and you have a shotgun... You cant hold him at gunpoint or at least AIM FOR THE WEAPON?!?

Wow, don't know where to start on this one.

1) There ain't a person in the world who can "aim for the weapon" on a moving assailant. Maybe if you had a shotgun, but then you'd take out out the intruder anyway.

2) When someone is charging at you with a shiny metal object in his hand, you have about a millisecond to determine if it's a gun, a knife, or a spoon. Guess wrong and you're dead.

3) Private citizens can't own Tasers or many other less-than-lethal weapons in Michigan. They are exclusively for the use of law enforcement.

4) Rubber bullets? Seriously? So if I load my gun with rubber bullets and someone breaks in with gun, what am I supposed to do? Ask him to wait while I remove my clip and put in hollowpoints?

5) Contrary to popular opinion, most burglars *aren't* armed. This guy was, which indicates a willingness to cause harm to the homeowner.

6) If the homeowner used a less-than-lethal weapon, he's still have a crime scene at the site of his grow, so that argument falls apart.

My opinion is that of a flaming liberal who doesn't mind a certain level of gun control, thinks the NRA is a bunch of nuts, but who owns two handguns and will have no problem whatsoever using them on anyone who breaks into his home.

Wow, don't know where to start on this one.

5) Contrary to popular opinion, most burglars *aren't* armed. This guy was, which indicates a willingness to cause harm to the homeowner.

6) If the homeowner used a less-than-lethal weapon, he's still have a crime scene at the site of his grow, so that argument falls apart.

My opinion is that of a flaming liberal who doesn't mind a certain level of gun control, thinks the NRA is a bunch of nuts, but who owns two handguns and will have no problem whatsoever using them on anyone who breaks into his home.

#5 Anyone who breaks into your home should be considered "armed" and a threat to your person. Identify your target and protect you and yours.

#6 Hate to say it but less than lethal you leave yourself open to a civil suit from behind bars.

This was in the Warren Weekly today. It seems the police feel the home owners actions were justified and no legal problems for him. They mention he was a caregiver but only said that the police didn't feel that it was a motive and that he was within the legal plant count so no problems there either.

Archived