Is 12 Lights To Many

bsmith

You could run 28 plants under half that amount of lighting, unless you are growing monsters which would outgrow that size room anyway.

4 plants fit nice under a 1K light, multiply by even six lights and you can grow 24 under them.

Also, just so you're prepared for the heat, each 1K puts out approx 3800-4500BTU depending if ballast is in room or out, but multiply by 12 and you are talking about needing to cool approx 48,000 BTU of heat, not to mention the electrical burden and cost. Thats almost 120 amps of electrical use just to turn on your lights only.

You could run 28 plants under half that amount of lighting, unless you are growing monsters which would outgrow that size room anyway.

4 plants fit nice under a 1K light, multiply by even six lights and you can grow 24 under them.

Also, just so you're prepared for the heat, each 1K puts out approx 3800-4500BTU depending if ballast is in room or out, but multiply by 12 and you are talking about needing to cool approx 48,000 BTU of heat, not to mention the electrical burden and cost. Thats almost 120 amps of electrical use just to turn on your lights only.

Cost daily approximately $14.50 a day, using 60 amps at 220v including exhaust

hey litljon for that many lights times your figure times two and then add a little more and then your in the ballpark. lol

You can't run 12 lights off a 60 amp anyway. 60 amp is what it pops at, but, sustained should be 80% of max. Which is 48 amps. 12 1000w would be around 54 amps, plus AC, fans, pumps, etc.

And yeah, my math is about $26/day for 12 1000w, now add in a AC capable of at least 50k BTU, would put you in like a 2Ton AC, would add about $10/day at least. It's way overkill for 24 plants.

I think tarzan uses mostly 400w HPS and his plans look real good. I use just 1 400w HPS,1 4"inline fan and a floor fan, and electric bill did not even go up :)

Yes ... I run 6 - 400

Sunburst 400W HPS/MH Convertible

http://www.hydrofarm.com/pb_detail.php?itemid=9872

and 3 - 4 foot 4 bulb T-5's

Commercial T5 4FT / 4 Tube Fixture

http://www.hydrofarm.com/pb_detail.php?itemid=8982

See Photos Below ... Took these photos just now ...

Had to take two photos to get Entire 8 x 9 Bloom Room ....

I can only get 8 plants Max in there ...

Tarzan8x9BloomRoom6-4003-T5s1.jpg

Tarzan8x9BloomRoom6-4003-T5s2.jpg

so does everyone prefer the 600w lites to the 1000w??

I run (2) 1Ks, giving me a total of around 290,000 lumens. If I ran (2) 600W (88,000 lumens) instead I would be sacraficing almost 110,000 lumens between the two bulbs. With my A/C easily able to keep room at 75 degrees all the time there would be zero advantage (actually disadvantage) to stepping down to 600's.

Its all a matter of what your room can handle, no ones preference is going to change the fact that a 600W gives off less lumens than a 1K. Some like the less heat and are fine with 57,000 less lumens per light. I figure, why run smaller lights then add supplemental overhead lighting, instead just put a larger bulb in the already existing overhead ballast.

Not to nit pick but measuring in lumens is looking at visible light, more important to plants would be the PAR values, that is the measure of the light that the plants use. And even then you have to figure the distance between the bulbs and the plants., and take that into consideration. And you have to be able to cool your light, no matter how big or small it is. What I recommend for just about any grower would be to use the biggest light you can cool, or to try an estimate what you will need in weight and then gear you grow to that estimate. If your just growing for one patient that only uses an oz per month, there is no need for 1000 waters running. And on the preverbal other hand if you need to grow for a lot of patients, don't go small........shredder

I run (2) 1Ks, giving me a total of around 290,000 lumens. If I ran (2) 600W (88,000 lumens) instead I would be sacraficing almost 110,000 lumens between the two bulbs. With my A/C easily able to keep room at 75 degrees all the time there would be zero advantage (actually disadvantage) to stepping down to 600's.

Its all a matter of what your room can handle, no ones preference is going to change the fact that a 600W gives off less lumens than a 1K. Some like the less heat and are fine with 57,000 less lumens per light. I figure, why run smaller lights then add supplemental overhead lighting, instead just put a larger bulb in the already existing overhead ballast.

To keep figures easy here, 1k = 150k lumens, 600 = 100k lumens.

2 x 1000 = 300k lumens @ 2000w

3 x 600 = 300k lumens @ 1800w

If you were to convert to 600 it would be to run more bulbs. Personally I run (2) 1kw lamps, I'd rather have a higher concentrated point of light then spread it out. but a 600w lamp in #'s is more efficient every time.

Also sunpulse makes a splitter that will power 2 600w lamps off 1 1000w ballast, so if you already have 1000w ballasts thats always an option. I'll never get rid of my 1kw bulbs though to me, they make for bigger more dense nugs.

Archived