Led Lights

Ezrah

Hello folks,

I have done the crazy unheard of, stupid move of using LED lights to grow, this along with a snicker is usually the reaction I get when I tell people I grow using LED lights. I am growing using LED lights, I have researched it extensively if you have every been curious or have some experience yourself jump on it. So if you want to pick the brain of a grower using LED lights I am your man.

Regards,

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too am curious. I was at the hydro show in Cali in October and saw some of the latest gen. of led lights. The top of the line ones from "Stealth Grow" seemed like they could do the trick. But at $3,400 a unit (replacse a 1k hid) and 600 watts they did not seem to be that much of a bargain

Make sure you get a money back guarantee like i did. At the end of my grow, i returned the LEDs for a full refund! I will admit, they did fairly well in veg but bloom was a no go. I had less than half of an HPS harvest. When I advised the distrubitor, he said add CFLs. I had a 8 light T-5 in with it. He then said "oh". And refunded my money. The spectrums for bloom are just not quite dialed in yet. Try it if you wish, but make sure you get a money back guarantee. Medcnman.

pics speak a thousand words....

Check my gallery for pics. Hey not trying to convert anyone they work well for me is all I'm saying, I use from veg to bloom. I settled with Advanced lights, did coverage more then even they reccomend. I will take some new overall room pics in a few days, away from home now.

Ok, I checked your gallery and it did not tell me anything. Nice pic's, but also need #'s. i.e. $ of light, watts, yield, i.e. oz's

Lol dude, I am not going to get all into posting numbers. I am saying I grow using LED I researched it a lot if anyone wants to pic my brain on the subject PM me. If you like your lights and grow cool man, I am not saying mine is better just what I do. I wish I could have talked to a person and learn instead from them instead of having to research it all.

I will tell you I use Advanced 3watt bulb LEDs, I use the 180 watt units, it covers 3' x 3' that is what you are seeing in the overall pics. There are a lot of crap LEDs out there but 3 companies that sell good ones, Advanced being one in my opinion.

looks good, i bet it saved on the electric bill. LED is the future of lighting, I know a guy that uses them in his home and with solar ,

Nice solar is in my plan for next summer, makes it a nice green grow. I actually had to run a heater in my room at first, I am more stocked up on lights now so room temps up, beats running ac or chillers.

Lol dude, I am not going to get all into posting numbers. I am saying I grow using LED I researched it a lot if anyone wants to pic my brain on the subject PM me. If you like your lights and grow cool man, I am not saying mine is better just what I do. I wish I could have talked to a person and learn instead from them instead of having to research it all.

I will tell you I use Advanced 3watt bulb LEDs, I use the 180 watt units, it covers 3' x 3' that is what you are seeing in the overall pics. There are a lot of crap LEDs out there but 3 companies that sell good ones, Advanced being one in my opinion.

. 3' x 3' at what height?

welp i looked at your gallery as well, i have seen worse looking plants grown under hid's. other the being small they look really nice imo, but to each is own. if the LED's work good for you and give you the results that you're happy with then it's all good bro. nice trich's for LED's in the first pics,

Yup yup, I grow a lot of kush, so they small buds. I am growing a new line that has some bigger buds in there genetics, and plan to get some testing done one potency, I will keep updating my gallery with test results and such. But yup like you said Q-Tipper, I am happy with grow, and that works for me. me growing soil and organic also does not promote monster buds, but the smell, tricomes and potency are all good from my perspective. We all got our own grow plan and its interesting we all seem to think we got the best but they are all different, makes the world go round huh. I am always interested in other peoples grow plan. Have a good one. any other LED growers out there?

I run them about a foot and a half above the plants, plants starting at 2' tall and finishing about 5'

Thats pretty impressive with LEDs!! I purchased Progressives 300 watt which equaled 1200 watts. I ran Mango Kush. They went in at 3 foot and finished up at 3 foot 9 inches yielding a mere ounce and nine grams :( You must have a much better spectrum in your lights than I did in mine. Im jealous of what your electric bill is im sure!! Good job! Medcnman.

Thanks, yeah I did a lot of research on the lights, like I said three contenders and Advanced won out I liked the 90 day return policy and the price per square foot of coverage is very good when you go with the 200watters. My electric bill went up 100 bucks a month, I am not totally maxed out on lights I expect it will jump another $40 once I am all done. My kush yield about 1.1 - 1.2 oz per plant, I have a new line of kush that grow some really nice big buds, calling that EZ kush get it Ezrah EZ kush, anyway those should be yielding much more weight, I will post pics on that harvest due in about 4-5 weeks, that is also my strongest med.

My flowering room is 10' x 12 and my veg room is 4' x 12', and I have it tiered so nearly double that space with doing a two levels of lighting in that room.

I definitely recommend LEDs for any patient doing self grow, or someone starting out. My room maxes out at 78 degrees, no AC no chillers, and I am not replacing bulbs, no expensive controller needed, my lights will go for 10 years in flowering room and 7 in veg, when you would be replacing Hids much more often. I love how little height they take up, I can put them close to plants, no bulky hood, no keeping them from ceiling because they run hot... I also have no heat signature.

Prob gonna try some in an exclusive led bloom situation soon(veg area is warmer). My aversion isn't scientific at this point, just more afraid to mess with a good thing.

I get not wanting to mess with a good thing, if your set up is working and you are happy why change, I wouldn't. I think LED gets a bad rap, it takes more planning, more reading and investigating, I see post like good for veg not good for flower all the time. Bottom line its hard to get good info so you know your buying and lighting the right amount, that's my two cents, lots on inferior LED out there and some that are really good. I use it for both veg and flower.

After last August's 3 week heat spell, when even with a 13k btu A/c and two exhaust fans in my basement, I had a hard time keeping the temps under 90. Running 600mh and 2 1k hps. Way too high!! Cut my yields more than 1/2. That's when I decided to experiment with the LEDs to address the heat issue & electric bill (a/c ran it up). First I bought a new Blackstar 240w--reasonable price, 3w diodes, decent reputation. Then I bought a used Blackstar 600w that uses both 2 & 3 watt diodes. I turned off one of the 1k hps, and was able to get my temps down considerably--really too late to reverse the stress on the plants that went through the heat. Now that temperature is not an issue, I have both the 1k hps and both the LEDs sharing the space. What I am noticing is my pistils seem a little longer, and my buds finish up a little harder(altho, this may have something to do with the increased molasses in their feedings) . It is still too early to tell the differences between the two lights, but I think that I will get another 500 or 600 Blackstar to see if that makes any difference. Main my objective is still to be able to turn, at least, one of the 1k hps light off during next summer. Considering the price and the limited coverage are the issues that everyone would have to think about before they jump into LEDs. I will keep experimenting with them through the next few grows before any real differences show up.

Also, I dig the colors

My story is similar to yours, after the heat spell, (issues)and increased elec. i decided that i would give it a shot as well.After researching and not wanting to spend big coin , just to experiment. I decided to get myself a blacksatar 240 , still playing with it so not to much to report on it other then the girls seem to like it. We will see

My story is similar to yours, after the heat spell, (issues)and increased elec. i decided that i would give it a shot as well.After researching and not wanting to spend big coin , just to experiment. I decided to get myself a blacksatar 240 , still playing with it so not to much to report on it other then the girls seem to like it. We will see

During heat spell I was actually running a space heater in my room. I am in the basement so its naturally cool, and I was only 50% full. Today I have lights to run 100% of my room and stay a pretty steady mild temp. Yeah I also looked at blackstar, I think it was the variety of sizes with Advanced that won out over them if I remember properly. To each his own, I enjoyed the subject. If anyone ever has questions on LED feel free to PM me, I grow from veg through flowering with only LED and love it, big learning curve though and if you ever want to pick my brain on subject offer is open. Oh and I am not saying I am the know all be all on subject but I might be able to point you in right direction or share some things that cut down on research you would need to to. Oh I think you get it, I'm not know it all but I do know some.

Regards Ez

Hello folks,

I have done the crazy unheard of, stupid move of using LED lights to grow, this along with a snicker is usually the reaction I get when I tell people I grow using LED lights. I am growing using LED lights, I have researched it extensively if you have every been curious or have some experience yourself jump on it. So if you want to pick the brain of a grower using LED lights I am your man.

Regards,

Im using LED in my room along with a 400 watt, but I noticed it taking longer for my girls to reach, like it shocked them when I interduced them to the LED, but seems to be working fine, unfortunately I can barely put 2 plants under it, they will prolly be too big and will only cover one...

So Far soo good,

I get not wanting to mess with a good thing, if your set up is working and you are happy why change, I wouldn't. I think LED gets a bad rap, it takes more planning, more reading and investigating, I see post like good for veg not good for flower all the time. Bottom line its hard to get good info so you know your buying and lighting the right amount, that's my two cents, lots on inferior LED out there and some that are really good. I use it for both veg and flower.

Have you ever messed with solar panels or any thing along those lines?

Thanks, yeah I did a lot of research on the lights, like I said three contenders and Advanced won out I liked the 90 day return policy and the price per square foot of coverage is very good when you go with the 200watters. My electric bill went up 100 bucks a month, I am not totally maxed out on lights I expect it will jump another $40 once I am all done. My kush yield about 1.1 - 1.2 oz per plant, I have a new line of kush that grow some really nice big buds, calling that EZ kush get it Ezrah EZ kush, anyway those should be yielding much more weight, I will post pics on that harvest due in about 4-5 weeks, that is also my strongest med.

My flowering room is 10' x 12 and my veg room is 4' x 12', and I have it tiered so nearly double that space with doing a two levels of lighting in that room.

I definitely recommend LEDs for any patient doing self grow, or someone starting out. My room maxes out at 78 degrees, no AC no chillers, and I am not replacing bulbs, no expensive controller needed, my lights will go for 10 years in flowering room and 7 in veg, when you would be replacing Hids much more often. I love how little height they take up, I can put them close to plants, no bulky hood, no keeping them from ceiling because they run hot... I also have no heat signature.

I was testing a 250 watt led in bloom and was impressed with what I was seeing. Unfortunately I had to stop before it was finished. I had four identical plants and put 1 in a closet under the led and the other 3 under my regular lights. To me the led was behind the other 3 in bud production but was still a nice healthy plant and really didn’t stretch much more than my hps plants. It spent the last 3 weeks under the hps with the others and it averaged 25% under the other 3.

I am really liking the lack of heat and going to experiment with it again in the spring. In the mean time the led is bonus lighting in the regular grow room.

Archived