Ron Paul Wins Michigan Straw Poll

TheBeagle

Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul won a Central Michigan University College Republicans straw poll Tuesday, according to Central Michigan Life. Mr. Paul garnered nearly 50 percent of the votes in the Michigan straw poll. Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney pulled in 36 percent of the votes, former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum earned 11 percent of the votes and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich brought in 4 percent of the votes.

Although Mr. Paul is struggling among likely voters in the Michigan Republican primary, the former Air Force surgeon is popular among younger voters in the Great Lakes State.

“My views are more conservative, because that’s how I was raised,” said Angelica Moore, a student at CMU, according to Central Michigan Life. “I really like Ron Paul. I think he has a lot of great ideas, so that’s how I based my decision,” Ms. Moore added.

Even when he does win a primary or caucus, Mr. Paul does well among younger voters. In fact, the Texas congressman pulled in more of the youth vote than Mr. Gingrich in the South Carolina Republican primary. Mr. Paul garnered 31 percent of the votes among voters ages 18-29, while the Georgia Republican pulled in 28 percent of the votes among the same age group.

Mr. Paul has been campaigning heavily in the caucus states of Maine, Colorado and Nevada in recent days. Although the Texas congressman finished in fourth place in the Florida Republican primary, he has said that he will stay in the race until the Republican convention in August. “We’re going to stay in and see what comes of it,” Mr. Paul said on CNN’s “State of the Union” last Sunday.

The CMU College Republicans straw poll featured 101 participants.

Read more: http://www.thestatecolumn.com/michigan/ron-paul-wins-michigan-straw-poll/#ixzz1lJ1NWgTN

The word that strikes me in the Republikan primaries is "electability".

They don't seem to care what his political stands, philosophy or personal morality might be, but it is most important that the candidate be "electable".

Meaning he owes a lot of money to the right people. The ones who can directly influence the vote.

Beagle, why are your thread titles so sensationalistic? There is a difference between a Michigan straw poll and a CMU straw poll. Obama was never possibly going to jail. Lay off the adderall a little bit or the crack or whatever it is you are on, okay?

I don't write the titles I get then from the page its on I dont write anything

Archived