Email From Representative Walsh

Timmahh

The House Judiciary Committee will begin a series of hearings Feb. 23 on a four-bill package to clarify the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act (MMMA). The purpose is to eliminate the ambiguities in the law so that legitimate patients have safe access to medical marihuana, and so that municipalities and law enforcement officials have a clear framework in which to administer the intent of the law. Hearings on the distribution process of medical marihuana will be conducted at a later date.

The Feb. 23 hearing will include a presentation by the bipartisan work group on medical marihuana headed by Reps. Ken Horn, R-Frankenmuth, and Phil Cavanaugh, D-Redford Township. The work group has been meeting with interested parties for months to address the proposed changes in the law.

The hearings, in Room 519 of the House Office Building, will focus on:

· House Bill 4834, a measure requiring photo ID for registered patients and limited access by law enforcement to the medical marihuana registry;

· House Bill 4851, requiring a bona fide doctor-patient relationship to end the current practice of doctors certifying patients without even seeing the patients in person;

· House Bill 4853, amending sentencing guidelines consistent with the MMMA;

· House Bill 4856, which clarifies the appropriate transport of medical marihuana;

and

· The registration and renewal process.

If you have any questions about the upcoming hearings, please contact my office at 517.373.3920.

Regards,

John J. Walsh

Speaker Pro Tempore

19th District

WE have 8 Days to get your letters and testimonials. Send them all in to: mmmatestify@gmail.com

See original testimonial thread here.

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/37668-we-need-your-testimonial-for-submission-to-legislature/page__pid__361608#entry361608

An email we just received on 02.15.2012 at 4:31 pm

Rep. John Walsh (District 19) Dist019@house.mi.gov

3:50 PM (39 minutes ago)

The House Judiciary Committee will begin a series of hearings Feb. 23 on a four-bill package to clarify the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act (MMMA). The purpose is to eliminate the ambiguities in the law so that legitimate patients have safe access to medical marihuana, and so that municipalities and law enforcement officials have a clear framework in which to administer the intent of the law. Hearings on the distribution process of medical marihuana will be conducted at a later date.

The Feb. 23 hearing will include a presentation by the bipartisan work group on medical marihuana headed by Reps. Ken Horn, R-Frankenmuth, and Phil Cavanaugh, D-Redford Township. The work group has been meeting with interested parties for months to address the proposed changes in the law.

· House Bill 4834, a measure requiring photo ID for registered patients and limited access by law enforcement to the medical marihuana registry;

· House Bill 4851, requiring a bona fide doctor-patient relationship to end the current practice of doctors certifying patients without even seeing the patients in person;

· House Bill 4856, which clarifies the appropriate transport of medical marihuana;

and

If you have any questions about the upcoming hearings, please contact my office at 517.373.3920.

Regards,

John J. Walsh

Speaker Pro Tempore

19th District

nice grab Cropped.

to pick them apart just off the top of my head.

this should be an easy no brainer. the MMMP already has the ability to put a photo on the Registry cards. The State CHOOSE not to do this when originally implementing the Act, but still retain the right to require a photo, and this is an already in place administrative policy change at the MMMP level, and is fully legal and with in the MMMP Office's authority. So no need for legislation. In that effect, the rider on this bill of allowing LEO immediate access to the registry is also a moot point.

With the recent update issued from the Michigan Board of Physicians, outlining what constitutes a Bona-Fide Doctor/Patient relationship, this is also a moot point now. 2 down, 3 to go.

this can be done fully with administrative change and change of LEO S.O.P.s (Standard Operating Procedures) that brings all local and state offices and codes into compliance with the MMM Act of 08, including Handling procedures when cannabis is encountered in the procession of the On Duty Officers day. And this can outline the correct way for our Public Servants should deal with this situation every day... No need for legislation, when simple administrative policy change is what is needed to resolve the situation.

Changing a Constitutional Amendment brought forth by a Peoples Initiative to reflect and fall in line with the archaic and aged policies the Act was Voted in to circumvent is fully un constitutional, and against everything that stands for Liberty, Freedom, and the Inalienable Right we are born with. It is an attack on the People that gives power to the Government, by the Government that wants to strip that power away from its citizens...

If this transport also covers any and all medicines, including all prescription medications, then ok. otherwise it makes a 2nd or 3rd class citizen out of those law abiding citizens following the law as passed.

I recieved this email today from Rep John Walsh. I figure its a response from the email-o-matic and several other here recieved this same email. Thought I'd post it just in case.

and

Regards,

John J. Walsh

Speaker Pro Tempore

I thought HB 4851 was shot down from the letter that was put out by MDCH?

Thank god i have my own dr that will sign, and I do not depend on a dispensary for my cannabis.

i understand that and am glad for you i used to think the same way until some one told me about them having cancer and then they need treatment for it like torey has and when her weight was down to 95lb and her cancer Doctor told me the only way he would sign was if she only had 2 weeks to live and also i used to be against the dispensary's until i thought about were do people get their Meds if they can't grow them or don't know how to when you think about the people that know nothing about Merihuana that will change how you feel imho

I wouldn't have a problem with any of this if that was all there was to it. PDF's are vague at best. No change to the current law.

and

I just pulled this off today's newswire service we subcribe to:

Hearings Set For Medical Marijuana Reform

Rep. John WALSH (R-Livonia) said today the House Judiciary Committee will begin a series of hearings Feb. 23 on a four-bill package to clarify the 2008 law addressing medical marijuana.

"The intent of the voters was not to allow the back-door legalization of marijuana when this issue was on the ballot, and our intent is to close loopholes in the law," said Walsh, chair of the committee.

The Feb. 23 hearing will include a presentation by the bipartisan work group on medical marijuana headed by Reps. Ken HORN (R-Frankenmuth) and Phil CAVANAGH (D-Redford Twp.). The hearings will focus on four bills: HB 4834, HB 4851, HB 4853 and HB 4856.

"The Feb. 23 hearing will include a presentation by the bipartisan work group on medical marijuana headed by Reps. Ken HORN (R-Frankenmuth) and Phil CAVANAGH (D-Redford Twp.). The hearings will focus on four bills: HB 4834, HB 4851, HB 4853 and HB 4856."

Because the "bipartisan work group" is going to make a medical marijuana presentation, does that mean that the 3MA will also be afforded that same opportunity? Do we have any idea as to what that presentation may contain? Do we have counter points/rebuttal for those ideas? I don't know if it would even matter, I'm just grasping at any ideas that I think might help at this point.

Archived