Medical Marijuana Grower Faces Manslaughter Charge

http://www.annarbor.com/news/crime/man-charged-in-fatal-shooting-in-milan/?cmpid=RSS_link_crime

A man who was robbed of marijuana during a home invasion Thursday in Milan has been charged with manslaughter after police said he chased down one of the intruders and fatally shot him.

Robert Goupill, 50, who is licensed to grow medical marijuana, was arraigned Monday afternoon in 1st District Court in Monroe County on charges of manslaughter and manufacturing a controlled substance, Interim Milan Police Chief Jeremy Nieman said.

Goupill is accused in the death of 28-year-old Jerald Antonio Ogden of Ypsilanti, who died of a shotgun wound to the back, the Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office said. Nieman said Goupill faces the drug charge because he was growing more marijuana than legally permitted.

Police said Goupill and two women were in Goupill's home on Anderson Street just before midnight Thursday when Ogden and another man forced their way inside and stole marijuana. Goupill is accused of chasing the intruders along a path that connects to the Scottsdale Estates subdivision and shooting Ogden. The shooting happened roughly 200 yards from Goupill's home, Nieman said.

Ogden was found dead behind a car in the subdivision on O'Brian Drive, while the other man involved in the home invasion ran away, Nieman said. Police continue to look for that man. He is described as black, 6 feet, 3 inches tall, 185 pounds and in his early 20s, police said.

If convicted of manslaughter, Goupill faces up to 15 years in prison. He remains jailed on a $100,000 cash or surety bond.

I read the original report in the paper, there was no mention of medical cannabis in those reports, but I had a premonition that this report wasn't telling the whole story (typical). Goupill was robbed, as the robbers left he went and got his shotgun and went in pursuit. Not the smartest thing to do, but I likely would have had a similar reaction. Another argument for doing a staggered grow, there is never enough product on hand to make a rip off worthwhile. j.b.

Was he in the paper before this is not the first robbery down there if my memory is working well today ? Maybe it was a different person same area . But once they start stealing they keep coming back . He sure needs a lawyer and the victim / robber and his family need our prayers , I know in the robbery I am thinking of the caregiver was threatened with a gun and had plants outside in the yard ? I think he got a break it must of been a different person . Yes sad all the way around . This will have huge repercussions for all the caregivers and obtain allot of press with the election coming up . I hope this doesn't confuse Legislators next week and mitigate the positive efforts defending caregiver and patient rights .

Archived