Homeowners Insurance

mdc623

Hi everybody, I am just wondering if somebody could tell me if a homeowners insurer will have a problem with me having a growroom in the house. I am in the process of buying a house but am wondering if telling them I am a caregiver is going to make the rates go up or get me denied all together. thanks

Hi everybody, I am just wondering if somebody could tell me if a homeowners insurer will have a problem with me having a growroom in the house. I am in the process of buying a house but am wondering if telling them I am a caregiver is going to make the rates go up or get me denied all together. thanks

The less said the better. It is none of their business what you do in your home period.

Privacy. Would you tell them if you were going to grow Petunias inside? carrots, tomatoes ect?? why should cannabis be any different.

like any company, they will likely suggest a rider on your policy to cover the "perceieved" damage. which is more of a way to get more premium rates and add ons for more income.

Chris Rock said it best. "Insurance should be called, "Incase bunny muffin Happens Protection", and if bunny muffin don't happen, shouldn't I get my motherfuckin money back?"

Need to know, and they have No need.

While I also would not say anything, consider the potential consequences. If, god forbid, something happened and a fire started, they may use the initial failure to disclose your grow room as grounds for denying your claim. This is particularly true if, as mentioned above, you are a caregiver for others as the insurance company would likely see this as a business. It would really suck to be homeless, medless, and stuck owing your mortgage company the balance of your mortgage without any insurance payout.

Food for thought.

last summer i asked state farm..

i know my agent pretty well

took her nearly 2 weeks to get back to me

their official position is.. they will cover all my equipment.. but not the plants.. i too had heard one of the companies would cover plants... so far i have been unable to confirm that..

my insurance company knows i have garden equipment.

I heard somebody mention it here before: a fire suppression system depending on its sophistication should actually help to reduce your premium and or increase your peace of mind.

Only other problem might be with unapproved wiring, which could be done correctly /w a homeowners permit at least & get a free inspection and approval. Or a union electrician!

Still don't see any benefit in notifying your insurance co. that your growing indoors ?

From experience - I know of 3 fires caused by grow rooms.

1 - fire in $400,000 home causes by grow room. Insurance company (Farmer's is the name, not the type) covered the fire damage, repair, hotel, and even paid for the grow equipment.

They dropped the home owners as they did not tell them about the 'indoor grow house'.

2 - fire in $100,000 home, police called, everything checked out ok. Fire damage covered. unknown if they got dropped.

3. - trailer home - total lost, might have been heat rocks for pets, not grow room. No insurance. you got it.

-

I do recommend insurance, some insurance companies will play the MMMP game - as long as you pay for the 'extra' coverage of the 'green house'. They can even offer $17,000 per plant. Not all insurance companies will play - some will say "its against federal law, you broke the law, so we don't pay."

Would I notify the insurance company? Do you have an agent you sit down with and look in the eye, been going to him for over 10 years? Ask. If you do your business over the phone, never met your agent, and only signed up with them - I would be cautious. At worst they drop you.

now, I wonder - will they raise the rates on your auto insurance if they know you use MMM.....

Failing to disclose a risk of loss can put you in a position where your losses may not be covered. Taking others' advice regarding nondisclosure is dumb. Read your policy. Figure out if you are risking non-coverage in the event your grow burns down your house, causes water damage, etc. You need not divulge what you are growing. Many people grow indoors. Anything from prize-winning lilies to vegetables. It isn't uncommon. I suggest calculating your own risk and deciding what risk you are willing to bear. Personally, I am risk averse.

you know, prior to 1983, home owners insurance was just that. One policy, covered the entire home. in spring 1984, we had a huge flood. by fall of 1984 a new policy was introduced, it was call FLOOD INSURANCE> but before that it was called PART OF YOUR HOME OWNERS POLICY.

I started working in 1982. I drew Un employment in in 1985. at which time it was called Unemoployment TAX when it was taken out of my check. thus when i collected my paid in TAX for when i may of became unemployeed, i didnt have to pay taxes on that money.

in 1990, it was changed to unemployment Insurance. Funny, the State calls what was once known as a TAX, and re lables it insurance, then charge you taxes on the money you take out as income.....

But its ok, big business made the changed, government allowed them to do it, and now fools think its the only way things can work.

I grow organic milk thistle indoors in tents to help treat my liver disease and had no problem getting coverage on my home and all my equipment. I added the MMJ to my garden after becoming a registered patient and don't feel I need to tell them anything about it. All they know is I have an indoor garden with flowers growing in it.

Good luck.