Everyone Must Read This!-Meningitis Outbreak Prompts Mass Vaccinations

Timmahh

MUST READ FOR EVERYONE!

From CBS news a few hrs ago.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57530886/steroid-injections-tied-to-meningitis-outbreak-may-cause-joint-infection/

and from NBC

Meningitis Outbreak Prompts Mass Vaccinations

The state Health Department recommended today that 5,800 students be vaccinated to protect them from a meningitis-related outbreak that has killed two high school students and left a third seriously ill.

Health officials will start administering the shots Friday to students in six schools in and around the northeastern Ohio city of Alliance.

"Our job is to err on the side of conservatism," said Nick Baird, director of the Health Department.

Over the weekend, thousands of people in the Alliance area lined up to get antibiotics, and about 37,000 doses were given out. But the pills protect people for only a day or two. A vaccine lasts three to five years.

Infection Kills Two High School Students

Two Beloit West Branch High School students, Jonathan Stauffer, 15, and Kelly Coblentz, 16, died more than a week ago after contracting a blood infection caused by a strain of the bacteria Neisseria meningitidis. School officials suspect the two shared a water bottle at a school picnic last month. Christin Van Camp, 18, a student at Marlington High School, about 15 miles away, was diagnosed Saturday with the same kind of blood infection.

The bacteria give victims either meningitis, a disease of the brain, or meningococcemia, a blood infection.

The bacteria are spread by saliva, which can be spread by drinking out of someone's glass or sharing a fork or spoon. Symptoms include high fever, headache, stiff neck, confusion, nausea, vomiting and exhaustion.

A decision on immunization is based on the number of infections in a community. In a town the size of Alliance — about 23,000 people — three infections would be the minimum required under guidelines of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Surgical Masks and Disinfectant

The outbreak has spread fear and confusion in and around Alliance.

Full Story Here:

http://www.cbsnews.c...oint-infection/

http://abcnews.go.co...id=93171&page=1

Now, go get your shot to protect you from you shot.

This is a real story, but how much faith do YOU Have in the message?

Edited by Timmahh

It's here... "Meningitis cases jump in Michigan, CDC reports 14 deaths nationwide"

Restorium is right:

"A specialty pharmacy in Massachusetts has recalled the steroid. The injections were sent to clinics in 23 states including Michigan." ....wxyz:Read more

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something else to be aware of, although with the colder weather setting in has had an effect on the number of West Nile Virus lately:

"The Michigan Department of Community Health reports there have been 185 human cases of the virus this year – including 10 deaths – as of Oct. 5."

more:mLive

Edited by solabeirtan

Its not the Meningitis so much as it is the Cause of it. While these recent issue with shots given is the current issue, the underlying problem is how it became contaminated. By recent reports, it is possibly due to a spore (cant recall exact strain atm) that causes meningitis, and could be effecting the corn in this years crop.

a major concern is the meningitis is being caused by this spore, which could be contaminating the shots given because a part of the solution used in the base for the shots, has a corn derivative in it. and these Spore are a major issue this year in crops due to the drought conditions throughout the country.

If the Meningitis issue is caused by spores propagated throughout this years corn crops, you can see the issue here.

There was a show broadcast this AM, and once its up on Y/T, i ll link it over.

The reason I bring this here, is obvious, but 2 fold. This spore can cross contaminate crops. Any crop with a leaf may be affected. Think about that for a second.

Now there is the other side of this coin, is this may be the big scare this year to promote record vaccine sales. sooooo....

But on the long count, if this is an issue from a deadly version of spores, growing on corn or other leafy plants, due to this years drought, and it does not die via normal production into food, or other products including airborn spores themselves....

just think of the food that has CORN in it? and if it has a spore that isnt dead, and can cause meningitis, or the spores to grow once they are in your body......

Yea, it is at minimum, worth the thoughts involved.

Edited by Timmahh

Its not the Meningitis so much as it is the Cause of it. While these recent issue with shots given is the current issue, the underlying problem is how it became contaminated. By recent reports, it is possibly due to a spore (cant recall exact strain atm) that causes meningitis, and could be effecting the corn in this years crop.

a major concern is the meningitis is being caused by this spore, which could be contaminating the shots given because a part of the solution used in the base for the shots, has a corn derivative in it. and these Spore are a major issue this year in crops due to the drought conditions throughout the country this year.

If the Meningitis issue is caused by spores propagated throughout this years corn crops, you can see the issue here.

There was a show broadcast this AM, and once its up on Y/T, i ll link it over.

The reason I bring this here, is obvious, but 2 fold. This spore can cross contaminate crops. Any crop with a leaf may be affected. Think about that for a second.

Now there is the other side of this coin, is this may be the big scare this year to promote record vaccine sales. sooooo....

But on the long count, if this is an issue from spores on corn, and it does not die via normal production into food.... just think of the food that has CORN in it? and if it has a spore that isnt dead, and can cause meningitis, or the spores to grow once they are in your body......

Yea, it is at minimum, worth the thoughts involved.

No. It's the facility is dirty. The place that made the shot is a dump, literally. The source has been found. No sense scaring people Tim.

The cases in Michigan as of late were caused by a fungus present in an epidural pain injection, as stated by Restorium. It isn't contagious. It was likely caused by non-sterile lab conditions when preparing the meds. There is no shot to protect you from this shot. If you get fungal meningitis then you'll be in the hospital on intravenous anti-fungal meds.

Edited by CaveatLector

So now it's a conspiracy by drug companies to boost vaccine sales?

I'm getting mine [flu shot], hopefully in the next week ... highly recommended for anyone travelling, esp on commercial airlines :))

I think it's a good thing. Like the policy is having some success.*

* " This influenza season was mild compared with recent years, with a lower percentage of outpatient visits for influenza-like illness (ILI), lower rates of hospitalizations, and fewer deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza. This report summarizes influenza activity in the United States during the 2011–12 influenza season (October 2, 2011–May 19, 2012) and reports the recommendations for the components of the 2012–13 Northern Hemisphere influenza vaccine." .... more, graphs, etc:CDC

Edited by solabeirtan

Not necessarily a sales pitch, but one shouldn't rule it out honestly.

and this is not about scaring anyone as much as some of you like to project.

it is about passing on information that may effect every person that visits this forum. And if this does end up being a larger issue that has effected the corn this season, its gonna be more than those on this forum being concerned.

Another current update on the injection issues reported late last night or this am , is the incubation time has been extended to watch for the signs of Menigitis, from the original 1 month incubation, now to 3 months ... So now those that said oh it was 2 months ago, now have another month to keep an eye open for symptoms. While that maybe BS to a few of you, I bet ANYONE that got a shot isnt snickering about it.

Be aware, this may now also include other shots given in joints in other parts of the body.

the issue noted on this AMs show stated that this situatioin appears to tie the meningitis outbreak, to corn, through the injected medication due to the corn being used as an inert ingredient in the medicine. That is why this is the new concern for people to be aware of right now.

you don't like me, ask me if I care, and I don't just for the record.

but to dismiss the factual information I am forwarding this am, is really just a show of ignorance....

It is unwise to dismiss critical information because one may not like the message, or the messenger.

That is a path only a fool walks.

Edited by Timmahh

Talked to my mom last night. Her neighbor and her neighbors husband both got the shots. She passed away yesterday afternoon. He is not showing any symptoms at the moment. He is being watched closely at Joe Dimaggio Memorial. They both received shots 3 weeks ago. She was 67. He is 69. Mm

Edited hospital: not University of Michigan. Its Joe Dimaggio Memorial in Miami.

Edited by Medcnman

Not necessarily a sales pitch, but one shouldn't rule it out honestly.

and this is not about scaring anyone as much as some of you like to project.

it is about passing on information that may effect every person that visits this forum. And if this does end up being a larger issue that has effected the corn this season, its gonna be more than those on this forum being concerned.

Another current update on the injection issues reported late last night or this am , is the incubation time has been extended to watch for the signs of Menigitis, from the original 1 month incubation, now to 3 months ... So now those that said oh it was 2 months ago, now have another month to keep an eye open for symptoms. While that maybe BS to a few of you, I bet ANYONE that got a shot isnt snickering about it.

Be aware, this may now also include other shots given in joints in other parts of the body.

the issue noted on this AMs show stated that this situatioin appears to tie the meningitis outbreak, to corn, through the injected medication due to the corn being used as an inert ingredient in the medicine. That is why this is the new concern for people to be aware of right now.

you don't like me, ask me if I care, and I don't just for the record.

but to dismiss the factual information I am forwarding this am, is really just a show of ignorance....

It is unwise to dismiss critical information because one may not like the message, or the messenger.

That is a path only a fool walks.

No. What you posted was totally non factual. Just admit you were way behind on the story and posted bad info. We all are wrong sometimes. The trick is to admit it right away and quit digging a hole.

Edited by Restorium2

Talked to my mom last night. Her neighbor and her neighbors husband both got the shots. She passed away yesterday afternoon. He is not showing any symptoms at the moment. He is being watched closely at U of M. They both received shots 3 weeks ago. She was 67. He is 69. Mm

That's terrible. I had one of those shots before. It's bad enough, let alone the thought of that stuff way inside of you. Just a terrible nightmare. The steroids are bad enough on their own. All those long term side effects.

That's terrible. I had one of those shots before. It's bad enough, let alone the thought of that stuff way inside of you. Just a terrible nightmare. The steroids are bad enough on their own. All those long term side effects.

My father in law was on steroids for an extended period of time. I took quite a toll on him. Just the extra weight on his frail skeleton was overwhelming. Mm

Mine too. Brain cancer. Not all that long ago. It's the long goodbye.

Sorry to hear. My mom had small cell cancer. Its a death sentence. It was diagnosed in her esophogus. Then moved to her lungs. Then liver. Then brain. It was the worst thing I have ever witnessed in my life. I wish I would have known about cannabis oil back then. My mom was cool enough that she would have tried it. We always ask for one more day. With the oil, I may have gotten two days. Mm

Sorry to hear. My mom had small cell cancer. Its a death sentence. It was diagnosed in her esophogus. Then moved to her lungs. Then liver. Then brain. It was the worst thing I have ever witnessed in my life. I wish I would have known about cannabis oil back then. My mom was cool enough that she would have tried it. We always ask for one more day. With the oil, I may have gotten two days. Mm

Sorry to hear that. My mom is a colon cancer survivor. 3 years now. We better let this go back on topic. Glad we could share though.

Thats how my oldest sister died. Started as breast and in 4 months it was found in her lymph nodes. It shot through her system and in 12 months was on her spine, kidneys, liver, lungs, brain ect.. My other sister's started with Pancreatic Cancer. Watched her starve to death nearly every day for 14ish months. both died just around 18 months after initial diagnosis.

I also lost my Uncle and his oldest son, both to bone cancer. both died in just over 2 yrs.

You want to understand why I refuse to bow to the BS from our State, that fucktard Schuette, and that rest of the assfucked idiots running our state, on this matter, Watch your sisters die the most cruel deaths and come speak to me. After realizing they (the Gov.) KNEW cannabis could of not only made their deaths easier, would have almost certainly allowed them to be alive today, with their familys.....

otherwise you're a stone in my shoe, and we all understand how that stone is tossed without regard.

Edited by Timmahh

no not way behind and not posted bad info. As I noted, Info just out earlier, I did not get all the sources, which is why once the show i was listening to is posted up to listen too, i ll be posting it up to hear, so everyone can hear the info I heard today. And that ABC Story i posted, was from about 11 hrs ago now.

so way behind on info is Hardly the case, whether you like it or not.

Edited by Timmahh

Meningitis outbreak: US health authorities say 14,000 at risk

Senator calls for federal investigation as Florida and Indiana report new deaths and and number of infections rises to 170

US health authorities said on Thursday that more people than previously thought had received possibly tainted steroid injections and that 14,000 patients could be at risk of contracting meningitis in an unprecedented outbreak of the disease.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the number of people at risk, which is 1,000 higher than earlier estimated, had been revised after consultations with health authorities. Fourteen patients have died from meningitis and 170 people have been infected, the CDC said in its latest update. The number of infections had risen by 33 since Wednesday.

Florida reported a second death from meningitis and Indiana reported its first death from the outbreak. Meningitis cases have been confirmed in 11 states.

Senator Richard Blumenthal, who sits on the Senate's health oversight committee, asked federal authorities to investigate whether a Massachusetts specialty pharmacy that produced the steroid had misled regulators about its operations.

The outbreak has developed into a major health scandal, with authorities scrambling to determine how vials of a steroid used mainly to treat back pain were contaminated, and to track down those affected and treat them. It has also raised questions about how the pharmaceuticals industry operates and is regulated.

Blumenthal, who is a former Connecticut state attorney general and federal prosecutor, said he had reached no conclusions but that an investigation was warranted.

"The company, its officers, employees and maybe others may have violated state and federal criminal laws in their potential misrepresentations to government agencies regarding their products," Blumenthal said.

Blumenthal said he had submitted his request for a federal criminal investigation in a letter to the US attorney general, Eric Holder.

full story here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/oct/11/meningitis-us-health-authorities-14-000-risk

US meningitis outbreak widens amid demands for criminal probe

The pharmacy at the center of a deadly US meningitis outbreak possibly linked to tainted steroid injections faced mounting federal and state scrutiny on Thursday, including a potential criminal investigation, as the national death toll climbed to 14.

As many as 14 000 people, 1 000 more than previously thought, received injections from suspect shipments of steroid treatments produced by the Framingham, Massachusetts-based New England Compounding Center (NECC).

The outbreak has developed into a major health scandal with authorities scrambling to determine how the steroid treatments were contaminated, track down those affected and treat them.

A woman in Minnesota on Thursday became the first apparent victim of tainted steroid to sue NECC. The suit filed in US

District Court in Minnesota said Barbe Puro of Savage, Minnesota, suffered “bodily harm, emotional distress and other personal injuries” after being injected on September 17.

Representatives of the company did not immediately respond to emails and phone calls seeking comment on the suit.

The scare raised questions about how the pharmaceuticals industry operates. NECC engaged in a little-known practice called drug compounding that is not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration, which generally oversees drug makers.

full story here:

ww.timeslive.co.za/world/2012/10/12/us-meningitis-outbreak-widens-amid-demands-for-criminal-probe

Now for those few of you, no need to mention names, that like to run your lips about things of which you are not aware, No apology required, just consider yourself Informed.

Steroid injections tied to meningitis outbreak may cause joint infection

Patients may have received contaminated steroid injections from the New England Compounding Center for treatments in their ankles, knees and other joints, and may present signs of infection, health officials announced Thursday.

Officials had previously said most of those at risk received epidural steroid injections to relieve back pain. On a Thursday conference call with reporters, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said it was alerted to one case of a person who may have developed a fungal infection after receiving a steroid injection in his or her ankle. While the case hasn't been confirmed to be caused by a fungus, the person received the same steroid injection as the confirmed fungal meningitis cases and is showing symptoms consistent with a fungal infection.

The CDC said there are 170 reported infections tied to an 11-state meningitis outbreak, including 14 people who died.

In total, up to 14,000 people may have received the contaminated injections, said health officials; previous estimates suggested that number was closer to 13,000 patients. The CDC reported it has successfully tracked down nearly 12,000 of these patients -- about 90 percent -- to inform them of their risk.

The ongoing outbreak is tied to contaminated methylprednisolone acetate steroid injections made by specialty pharmacy New England Compounding Center. After contaminants were discovered in an unopened vial during a late September inspection at the Framingham, Mass., facility, three lots of single-dose vials of the steroid that were sent to 76 facilities in 23 U.S. states -- in total 17,676 vials -- were recalled.

States that received injections include: California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Nevada, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Texas and West Virginia. However, because the company is licensed in all 50 states, there is a possibility products may have shipped elsewhere.

On Thursday Dr. J. Todd Weber, incident manager of the multi-state meningitis outbreak at the CDC, told reporters that there were169 confirmed cases of fungal meningitis and one infection involving the ankle injection. The person showed symptoms consistent of a fungal joint infection, such as pain, redness and swelling; however, laboratory tests still need to confirm the fungus that caused this particular infection. Steroids can also be used to relieve pain in ankles, knees and other joints.

New details have also emerged about the particular type of fungus involved in the meningitis outbreak. As of Oct. 10, the CDC's fungal disease laboratory has confirmed the presence of the Exserohilum fungus in 10 people with meningitis and the fungus Aspergillus in one person with meningitis -- the latter being the first case linked to the outbreak that occurred in Tennessee. Up to three other cases tied to Exserohilum fungus have been confirmed in non-CDC labs, Weber added.

Full Story here:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57530886/steroid-injections-tied-to-meningitis-outbreak-may-cause-joint-infection/

But that story isn't the same story that you printed to start the topic and I think that's what was being pointed out to you. That you got the two stories mixed up with each other. You made it sound as though the injections were causing an infectious epidemic and that's clearly not the case.

Now for those few of you, no need to mention names, that like to run your lips about things of which you are not aware, No apology required, just consider yourself Informed.

After all of that cut and paste what do we now know that we didn't before? What is it you think you informed us of exactly? That people were dying from fungus contaminated pain shots?

Now, go get your shot to protect you from you shot.

What did this mean? You clearly were confused. The original story you posted was about a contagious meningitis. You apparently equated that with the fungal meningitis that is recently making headlines which is NOT contagious. In the first instance a vaccine can protect you from the contagious meningitis. In the second there is no vaccine. So your comment about getting a shot (the vaccine for the bacterial meningitis) to protect you from a shot (the pain shot with the fungus) made no sense. To paraphrase you, you should become informed before you flap your lips. No need to apologize.