How To Invest In Legalized Marijuana

washtenaut

The financial-cannabis articles seem to be coming out more often as the election approaches.  Here is another one

https://www.thestreet.com/story/13864427/1/here-s-why-these-3-cheap-marijuana-stocks-may-quadruple-in-price.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

...from the article

Over the past 30 days, the S&P 500 has fallen more than 1%, but the North American Marijuana Index increased 83%.

Movement on Wall Street has largely been dictated by corporate earnings in the past few weeks, but events such as the Nov. 8 U.S. presidential election and the Federal Reserve's policy meet next week have added volatility.

Overall earnings of S&P 500 companies are expected to rise 1.8 percent, snapping a four-quarter streak of profit declines, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.

Excluding Apple, earnings are expected to rise 2.5 percent.

"The earnings season on balance has been much better than expected, said Art Hogan, chief market strategist atWunderlich Equity Capital Markets.

"But the glaring difference this quarter is that companies which meet or beat expectations get rewarded modestly while those that miss are seeing a more severe reaction."

Newest weapon in U.S. hunt for insider traders paying off

BY NATE RAYMOND, REUTERS - 1:10 AM ET 11/1/2016TOP NEWS

• mail.png
  •  
  • facebook-26.png
  •  
  • twitter-26.png
  •  
  • linkedin-26.png
  •  
  • googleplus-26.png
  •  
  • print-26.png

201611010109RTRSNEWSPHOTOS___KBN12W2X4_1

NEW YORK (Reuters) - When plumber Gary Puseypleaded guilty in May to insider trading, it was a victory not just for New York prosecutors but for a little-known squad inside the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission that uses data analysis to spot unusual trading patterns.

Formed in 2010, the Analysis and Detection Center of the SEC's Market Abuse Unit culls through billions of rows of trading data going back 15 years to identify individuals who have made repeated, well-timed trades ahead of corporate news.

The new strategy is starting to show results, enabling the SEC to launch nine insider trading cases, around 7 percent of cases the agency brought since 2014 against people who trade on confidential corporate information.

It signals a shift in how the agency initiates insider trading probes, which more often are launched based on referrals from Wall Street's self-regulator Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, or an informant's tip.

"It's essentially the new frontier," said Andrew Ceresney, the SEC's enforcement director. "We have tremendous amounts of data available to use, and we've been developing tools to take advantage of that."

That data was key to spotting trades by Pusey ahead of at least 10 deals from 2014 to 2015 involving Barclays Plc, where his friend Steven McClatchey worked.

The SEC has also used data mining in a high-profile probe of traders who it says made more than $100 millionusing information obtained by Ukrainian hackers.

Others charged include former employees of law firm Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati and investment bank Goldman Sachs Group Inc.. In August, former Perella Weinberg Partners banker Sean Stewart was convicted in a case credited to the SEC unit. He denies wrongdoing and is expected to appeal.

10 BILLION ROWS OF TRADING DATA

The cases have come at a time when other U.S. and European regulators have increasingly looked to find ways to take advantage Big Data in order to strengthen their enforcement operations and market surveillance.

The United Kingdom's Financial Conduct Authority has in recent years taken steps to develop technology to analyze large amounts of data to pursue market abuse cases.

For the SEC, the six-year data-push has had the benefit of giving it some extra autonomy in pursuing insider trading probes beyond the inquiries and referrals that self-regulatory organizations like FINRA produce for the agency.

"Why wait to do a referral when you could do it proactively?" said Daniel Hawke, a former chief of the SEC'sMarket Abuse Unit now at the law firm Arnold & Porter.

The SEC does not have a direct feed of the markets' trading data. Instead, it mines 10 billion rows of "blue sheet" data of trades executed by brokerages that the agency gathered in various investigations.

Analysts use a home-grown program called Artemis to analyze patterns and relationships among multiple traders.

Joseph Sansone, a co-chief of the Market Abuse Unit, said the SEC in particular mines data to identify individuals who repeatedly buy stock ahead of mergers, enabling the agency to focus on repeat offenders.

"The ability to see pattern of multiple trades over a matter of months or years gives us confidence to invest resources into investigations," he said.

The SEC also uses software from privately-held Palantir Technologies, which identifies links between individuals and entities by connecting pieces of information from multiple data sources. In 2015, the agency awarded a $90 million, five-year contract to Palantir.

PLUMBER'S SCHEME

In Pusey's case, the SEC said that the data unit "detected an illicit pattern of trading" by the plumber, who successfully traded ahead of mergers involving companies that included Entropic Communications Inc and CVS Health Corp.

In all of the deals, the target or acquirer were represented by Barclays. The SEC referred the case to federal prosecutors in Manhattan and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

In December 2015, Pusey, 47, began actively cooperating with them, providing "detailed information" about his source, according to court papers.

In May, the FBI arrested that source, McClatchey, a close friend of Pusey's who worked as a director at Barclays.

McClatchey, 58, pleaded guilty in July to tipping Pusey in exchange for money. He agreed to not appeal any sentence of five years in prison or less and to forfeit $76,000.

Both men are set to be sentenced later this year. Lawyers for the defendants did not respond to requests for comment.

To be sure, even with data mining, traditional investigative techniques like enlisting cooperators and issuing subpoenas for documents remain key to building out a case. The SEC has in the past acknowledged that it faces a challenge to keep up with technological advances in the securities markets it regulates, where spending by a number financial firms can surpass the agency's own expenditures.

And despite its early success, the SEC's ability to launch cases by data mining is also limited because it collects trading information on an ad-hoc basis.

That is expected to change.

In April, the SEC released a plan to establish a database that stores every trade order, execution and cancellation. Known as a "consolidated audit trail," it is a central repository that is expected to begin getting data from stock exchanges and FINRA by late 2017.

Thomas Sporkin, a former senior SEC official with the law firm BuckleySandler, said that new database could significantly advance the SEC's ability to track suspicious trading.

"Doing surveillance for insider trading today -- it's like we're in the early days of the automobile," he said. "What the consolidated audit trail will provide is the future. It's the flying car."

Here's your greatest opportunity to bet on marijuana stocks.

If Trump wins all marijuana related stocks will tank. If Hillary wins they all will increase. Place your bets. 

I guess we will see, eh?  At this hour, most of the ballot measures look pretty good and Trump looks like our next leader. 

Who will he name as his Attorney General?  Will that person respect state cannabis laws?  Hold on!

Donald Trump's cabinet-in-waiting is taking shape in the final days of the race, as aides eye a number of Trump loyalists for major posts should he win on Tuesday.

Among the names being considered, according to conversations with three campaign advisers who requested anonymity to speak freely: Rudy Giuliani for attorney general, Newt Gingrich for secretary of state, retired Lt. Gen Michael Flynn for defense secretary or national security adviser, Trump finance chairman Steve Mnuchin for Treasury secretary, and Republican National Committee finance chair Lew Eisenberg for commerce secretary.
Alabama Senator Jeff Sessions, a loyal supporter, has taken a major role managing the transition effort, especially as the official transition chief, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, has drifted from the campaign. It's not clear Christie is being considered for a significant role in a potential administration either.
Reince Priebus, the current RNC chairman, is under consideration as Trump's chief of staff. Priebus earned Trump's trust over the course of the campaign by steadfastly defending him while other top Republicans denounced Trump or shied away from brand.
If Priebus leaves the RNC, two close Trump allies could be considered to take his position. Trump's team is talking about former campaign manager and current CNN contributor Corey Lewandowski or current deputy campaign manager David Bossie as possible options.

....and don't forget that nationally the Republicans will control not only executive, but also legislative and judicial branches.  That may be good for 'big business' but what will it mean for cannabis businesses?  

resto was right about the market,,,,,,buy today your mj stocks, buy low sell high, alot of people are going to make alot of money on the market this week!

Peace

Believe it or not, the big money drug company stocks are going up more than I have ever seen them go up. 5% to 8%. Glad I kept them. Hillary was going to make the drug companies price their meds more fairly. I guess that's out the window. I just made $15,000 in 2 hours. I don't vote just for my interests. I guess I owe the Trumpers a shout out. Thanks for the cash. You sold your future and I'm reluctantly collecting on it already. What else you got Donny?

Meet the guy that's running our economy now:

http://www.encimaglobal.com/david-malpass.html

NO im not looking,,,,,,,,,,,,you demo,,,,,,I hope you get filthy rich and have to pay alot of taxes!  or use trumps tax codes and dont  pay any,,,,,,,I just hope you realy get rich for hyping hillary for months!

:blow-a-heart:

bawahahahahahahaha!

Honestly I do!

Peace

NO im not looking,,,,,,,,,,,,you demo,,,,,,I hope you get filthy rich and have to pay alot of taxes!  or use trumps tax codes and dont  pay any,,,,,,,I just hope you realy get rich for hyping hillary for months!

:blow-a-heart:

bawahahahahahahaha!

Honestly I do!

Peace

I hyped Hillary because of my values. I value people having a place to turn when they are down and out. I don't value trickle down economics. But my portfolio likes Trump. My heart is with the regular folks that suffer to make a living every day and stay healthy. Medical marijuana fits with that so I advocate for it. 

The thing about this election is we had a clear choice for marijuana rights and we couldn't get united behind that. I don't have a lot of hope for any unity in the future. I'll keep towing the line, but when you have people right here on this marijuana web site that can't even cast a vote for marijuana, I don't have a lot of hope for better laws in the future. 

An outspoken Clinton supporter

Warren Buffett has made no big secret of who he supported for president, and it certainly wasn't Donald Trump. Buffett has campaigned for Clinton, participated in her rallies, and has had some particularly harsh words condemning Trump's actions and proposed policies.

He called Trump out on his refusal to release his tax returns, saying that he was under audit as well, and would gladly release his returns if Trump would do the same.

He even spent election day shuttling Omaha voters to their polling places on a trolley. A Trump presidency was definitely not what Warren Buffett wanted to see. However, that doesn't mean that Buffett is worried for America -- at least from an economic point of view.

http://www.aol.com/article/finance/2016/11/09/warren-buffett-s-advice-for-a-donald-trump-presidency/21602420/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D-725780858_htmlws-main-bb

I hyped Hillary because of my values. I value people having a place to turn when they are down and out. I don't value trickle down economics. But my portfolio likes Trump. My heart is with the regular folks that suffer to make a living every day and stay healthy. Medical marijuana fits with that so I advocate for it. 

The thing about this election is we had a clear choice for marijuana rights and we couldn't get united behind that. I don't have a lot of hope for any unity in the future. I'll keep towing the line, but when you have people right here on this marijuana web site that can't even cast a vote for marijuana, I don't have a lot of hope for better laws in the future. 

I guess I was wrong, the sky is falling money on you!

The top 5 cannabis stocks in 2016

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/5-best-marijuana-stocks-2016-191206061.html

The Top 5

This year, however, marijuana stocks have been on fire. Of all the stocks in the The Marijuana Index’s comprehensive list of North American marijuana-related stocks, these five names have been the best performers of the year:

1. APHIRA INC NPV (OTC: APHQF) +460.3 percent.

2. AURORA CANNABIS IN COM NPV (OTC: ACBFF) +518.0 percent.

3. General Cannabis Corp (OTC: CANN) +669.1 percent.

4. Cannabis Sativa Inc (OTC: CBDS) +762.9 percent.

5. THC BIOMED INTL LT COM NPV (OTC: THCBF) +1,370 percent.