How To Invest In Legalized Marijuana

washtenaut

There's gambling and investing.

Short term speculation is gambling. Long term is investing. Short term depends on hype, superstition, chasing your tail, chasing someone else's tail.... many dumb things. 

Long term depends on actual earnings. 

Many folks talk about the great stock market crash of '08 like it killed everyone investing. I had long term investments in '08 and my money has double from what it was worth before the crash. Actually doubled. I wasn't gambling. I was investing and was rewarded for that. Always think 'earnings'. That is the key. Be careful listening to anyone who uses '08 as an excuse. It's a false narrative.

Yes. My portfolio includes only stocks that pay regular dividends. The 08 crash did nothing to me. The value of my stocks plummeted, but I didn't care. They still paid the dividends, which are reinvested in buying more of the same stock. So actually the crash allowed me to buy more stock at a discounted rate. The crash hurt people who had a plan to make money by buying and selling. Those who plan for the long term are rarely hurt by dips in the market.

Whatever the person making the assessment intends is one thing; the intent of the rest of the players in the market is something else entirely, and something you cannot control. The stock market is increasingly abused. More manipulation transactions than investment transactions, almost certainly.

I get you on investing vs gambling, but it all depends on what promises you are holding when the bubble bursts, and how you react to it.

The best advice is to have a diversified portfolio that contains stocks in things you actually use yourself. 

If there ever is a business that sells cannabis legally and have good long term plans, a good business model, it would be a good investment for a cannabis user. 

Yes. My portfolio includes only stocks that pay regular dividends. The 08 crash did nothing to me. The value of my stocks plummeted, but I didn't care. They still paid the dividends, which are reinvested in buying more of the same stock. So actually the crash allowed me to buy more stock at a discounted rate. The crash hurt people who had a plan to make money by buying and selling. Those who plan for the long term are rarely hurt by dips in the market.

Good point. There are quite a few ways to invest safely and not worry about 'THE BUBBLE'. Same with your home. If you weren't mortgaging your home past it's value, or planning to sell right away, the housing crisis did nothing to you either. It was only a crisis for people already teetering on the edge. 

We have people in the news saying we are going to crash again. Those folks are hoping and pleading with you to believe them because they can invest in ways that scary hype makes them money. Ron Paul is doing that. I think George Washington would have him tarred and feathered. These days, Ron Paul has sheep following his every word. There's a lot of really great opportunities in the stock market these days. Many folks are missing out because of things they hear that are not true. 

GW is a pharma company, not marijuana really.

Most "marijuana" stocks are from crap scams. Most.

Pharma companies can be a great investment. I use Enbrel, like Phil Michelson the pro golfer, so I have some Amgen in my portfolio. I like catsup so I have some Heinz too. That's a very healthy way to build a portfolio. I was taught that by a billionaire when I was 12. 

Good point. There are quite a few ways to invest safely and not worry about 'THE BUBBLE'. Same with your home. If you weren't mortgaging your home past it's value, or planning to sell right away, the housing crisis did nothing to you either. It was only a crisis for people already teetering on the edge. 

We have people in the news saying we are going to crash again. Those folks are hoping and pleading with you to believe them because they can invest in ways that scary hype makes them money. Ron Paul is doing that. I think George Washington would have him tarred and feathered. These days, Ron Paul has sheep following his every word. There's a lot of really great opportunities in the stock market these days. Many folks are missing out because of things they hear that are not true.

The housing market comparison is excellent. I bought a house in 1995 for $66k,and sold it in 02 for $114k. A couple years later it sold for $140k. A little over two years ago, I bought the same house back for $44k and in much better condition than when I sold it. On the other hand, I bought a small commercial property in 06 for $64k. After having it for sale for the last five years, I just accepted an offer of $15k. My bad on that one. I bought during the bubble.

Any legal commercial cannabis company will only succeed by way of (heavy) criminal punishments for everybody else that grows and sells. I am not sure I can call that a good investment.

the same way budweiser seeks criminalization for brewing your own beer?

no, legal cannabis companies can co-exist with homegrows. easily.

Do you deny that the majority of transactions in the stock markets are part of short-term, manipulative trades?

I am not saying everybody participating in the stock market is involved in a scam, just the entities that are the most active. And many, many people that are participating, unwittingly.

That's circular reasoning: of course the majority of transactions are short term, because there are so many of them. But that is only a tiny fraction of outstanding shares in the corporate equity market. The vast majority of stock is held by individual investors either directly or through a mutual fund or pension fund or government retirement fund. A smaller amount is held by international investors. And WAY at the bottom - we're talking only 2-3% - are the hedge funds and other folks doing the short term, speculative, and manipulative trades (this is the realm of high frequency trading that gives those with the fastest and shortest fibre optic connections to the exchanges a few milliseconds advantage over other traders which is enough to make a butt load of money.) 

But the bottom line is that you have more than 70% of folks in the USA participating in the market in some fashion via funds that buy and sell slowly, most of which - because of their size - do not even have the ability to trade quickly and speculatively.

The banks have been laundering cartel money for decades but they won't touch your mortgage if you have a plant growing your meds in the house.

Wall St. Stole our homes and now they are coming for our meds.

Leo is stealing our meds and killing our kids.

The fknrepublican. reps are bought by the highest bidder

Show me , what has our repub majority done for the common man?

Keep Wall St out of your grow, Call your Rep. and tell them Ell No!

Edited by beourbud

The housing market comparison is excellent. I bought a house in 1995 for $66k,and sold it in 02 for $114k. A couple years later it sold for $140k. A little over two years ago, I bought the same house back for $44k and in much better condition than when I sold it. On the other hand, I bought a small commercial property in 06 for $64k. After having it for sale for the last five years, I just accepted an offer of $15k. My bad on that one. I bought during the bubble.

Lots of folks erroneously think that the house they live in is an investment because they hear stories about someone who bought a house in San Fran a while back and retired to Podunk, Nebraska.  I moved here from another state and made lots of money on my house. But a lot less when I considered the interest on the mortgage over the hears, upkeep & improvements, etc. A house is a money pit. Then I moved to Michigan where I needed a place to live and bought a house at the top of the market. I am going to thank GW for one of the few good things he did in office, which was TARP, so I could get lower rate mortgage even though I owed more than it was worth.

A primary house isn't an investment and shouldn't be thought of that way.

Lots of folks erroneously think that the house they live in is an investment because they hear stories about someone who bought a house in San Fran a while back and retired to Podunk, Nebraska.  I moved here from another state and made lots of money on my house. But a lot less when I considered the interest on the mortgage over the hears, upkeep & improvements, etc. A house is a money pit. Then I moved to Michigan where I needed a place to live and bought a house at the top of the market. I am going to thank GW for one of the few good things he did in office, which was TARP, so I could get lower rate mortgage even though I owed more than it was worth.

A primary house isn't an investment and shouldn't be thought of that way.

Today, I would have to agree.  Traditionally there were 2 sure fire bets in the USA.  Wages would rise and houses would increase in value.  That made buying a house and taking on a mortgage with the highest possible payment a good idea.

Today, if you follow that formula it all could still work out for you.  Or, it might not.  There is not nearly the guarantee that your home value will rise, in fact we have seen that it may fall.  Also, there is less assurance today that your wages are going to rise steadily.  That stretch you made to make the first house payment may need to be repeated for many months, or even years to come. 

Of course, these facts have contributed to the rise in rental property rates. 

The banks have been laundering cartel money for decades but they won't touch your mortgage if you have a plant growing your meds in the house.

Wall St. Stole our homes and now they are coming for our meds.

Leo is stealing our meds and killing our kids.

The fknrepublican. reps are sold to the highest bidder

Show me , what has our repub majority done for the common man?

Keep Wall St out of your grow, Call your Rep. and tell them Ell No!

Not to argue with your positions.  Don't wish to go there

Just struck me funny that you seem to now speak (post) in slogans.  Are you sure you haven't been watching too many political rallies?   lol

Not to argue with your positions. Don't wish to go there

Just struck me funny that you seem to now speak (post) in slogans. Are you sure you haven't been watching too many political rallies? lol

Why waste the readers time?

Short, to the point, easy to remember.

I see our Slogans all over the Internet in the comment sections.

Long diatribes don't work, ask grass, norby, alphabob.

Edited by beourbud

Not to argue with your positions.  Don't wish to go there

Just struck me funny that you seem to now speak (post) in slogans.  Are you sure you haven't been watching too many political rallies?   lol

What strikes me funny is this is coming from an author of the law that inevitably requiries attorneys and jail to interpret

Did you sign off on the wording of the law?.

Why waste the readers time?

Short, to the point, easy to remember.

I see our Slogans all over the Internet in the comment sections.

Long diatribes don't work, ask grass, norby, alphabob.

do you always wake up thinking about those guys? Lol.

Do you always wake up at a 10?

Chill, bb. It's all good. Everyone else has settled down here, won't you? Nobody said anything incendiary to you, yet you call out three people for nothing and then insult another?

What strikes me funny is this is coming from an author of the law that inevitably requiries attorneys and jail to interpret

Did you sign off on the wording of the law?.

Sorry bb.  That designation of '+Authors' by my screen name has nothing to do with authoring of the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act.  It was sort of a joke 'title' given to me because early on in our interactions with the state legislature I was writing quite a few letters that Blueberry was using with his automatic legislative emailing program.  That's it, nothing more

do you always wake up thinking about those guys? Lol.

Do you always wake up at a 10?

Chill, bb. It's all good. Everyone else has settled down here, won't you? Nobody said anything incendiary to you, yet you call out three people for nothing and then insult another?

It's good to know I am not alone assuming

Thank You

Where have you been?

Kinda disappeared after your Leo reveal or what ever that was.

Edited by beourbud

It's good to know I am not alone assuming

Thank You

Where have you been?

Kinda disappeared after your Leo reveal or what ever that was.

I actually know that guy personally. Not a cop lol. That's a gas!. His tag is hyperbole and from reading the baords, that is pretty clear even to those that don't know him. He has treated his own ailments and treats his wife's cancer. I'd probably back off a bit. Cheers mate! :) Have a good one beourbud!

Wet