New Patient

I am a new patient and totally confused on how I can legally go about getting my medicine. I have done some research online and can  not make heads or tails of the legal terms. If I do not have a caregiver where do I get medicine? Are dispenseries still leagl in mi? If so where and how do I find a reputable one? I do not know how to grow nor am interested in growing my own I also dont have someone off hand to be my care giver any suggestions? Please keep in mind I live in the thumb and about 2.5 hrs north of detroit. thanks in advance

What town are you in or near? Maybe someone here knows of a dispensary in your area. They're illegal but some are still operating. Meds are expensive at dispensaries though. The Genesee County Compassion Club in Flint has a farmers market. They have a wide selection and good prices. If you'd like more info on that pm me.

Legally, you can buy from anyone, but no one other than your legal caregiver can legally sell it to you. Your best bet is to advertise on this site for a caregiver. Good luck!

dispensaries are illegal but as a patient you should be protected from arrest if you buy marijuana from anyone.

(do not take this as legal advice)

weedmaps website has a list of dispensaries. should be a few still operating.

to find a reputable caregiver or dispensary? good question.

like everything in life, you have to read reviews, ask questions and try different ones.

good questions to ask:

is it organic? soil or hydro?

any pesticides?

look at it in a microscope for bugs/mold/webs

do they get it tested with any labs? can you see the lab report?

do they grow it themselves or buy it from growers?

good luck. and feel free to ask more questions here on the forums.

its easy to be overwhelmed in this medical marijuana program.

Edited by t-pain

You don't need a lab report to tell if you have good MMJ.  If it's moldy you can see and smell it.  Can you tell when your fruit or bread gets moldy?  it's no harder with MMJ.  If it's not potent, you can tell when you smoke it.  If there are chemicals you can taste them.

Have you visited any educational compassion clubs ?

I am unsure what is available in your area, but that's a great place to start in locating a caregiver. 

You don't need a lab report to tell if you have good MMJ.  If it's moldy you can see and smell it.  Can you tell when your fruit or bread gets moldy?  it's no harder with MMJ.  If it's not potent, you can tell when you smoke it.  If there are chemicals you can taste them.

You are incorrect in some aspects here. 

As a new patient, I did not know the difference between much of this.  Many new patients that are new to marijuana are not familiar with any of this.  It is not obvious to people who have never seen or smelled marijuana on a regular basis. 

In the beginning, I would not have been able to tell powdery mildew from trichomes.  (not to mention - I didn't even know what either of them was)  I did not know the perfume like taste I tasted was chemicals.  I didn't know why some mmj popped when smoking and others didn't.  I didn't know what to expect to feel, so how could I estimate potency??  If you have little to nothing to compare to, you do not know.  Of course, if a person cares, they will attempt to learn, but do not assume that people new to marijuana automatically KNOW.  I didn't.   (Not claiming you need a lab test/report to tell you this either, just that it's not as obvious as you make it sound to new mmj patients.)

Totally newbie, need help getting certified and finding a caregiver.. Can anyone help point me in the right direction? Moved here from Nevada and don't know anyone, thanks on advance!!

I would suggest creating a new thread with the information you posted above including the area you are in.   You will receive more relevant answers that way.

An educational compassion club is a great place to gather information and resources, especially for new patients.  They should have information on the law, where/how to get certified, how to find a caregiver, how to learn to grow and should be able to answer all of your general questions!  

I am unsure what is available in your area, but that's a great place to start in locating a caregiver. 

As a new patient, I did not know the difference between much of this.  Many new patients that are new to marijuana are not familiar with any of this.  It is not obvious to people who have never seen or smelled marijuana on a regular basis. 

In the beginning, I would not have been able to tell powdery mildew from trichomes.  (not to mention - I didn't even know what either of them was)  I did not know the perfume like taste I tasted was chemicals.  I didn't know why some mmj popped when smoking and others didn't.  I didn't know what to expect to feel, so how could I estimate potency??  If you have little to nothing to compare to, you do not know.  Of course, if a person cares, they will attempt to learn, but do not assume that people new to marijuana automatically KNOW.  I didn't.   (Not claiming you need a lab test/report to tell you this either, just that it's not as obvious as you make it sound to new mmj patients.)

I would suggest creating a new thread with the information you posted above including the area you are in.   You will receive more relevant answers that way.

An educational compassion club is a great place to gather information and resources, especially for new patients.  They should have information on the law, where/how to get certified, how to find a caregiver, how to learn to grow and should be able to answer all of your general questions!  

Thank you northerngal, on the ball as always :)

Excellent post. It is easy to forget that marijuana is still new to some of our friends and that there are still people out there who will sell anything to make a buck. (Capitalism Rules!) I have lived a sheltered life ever since I took to growing my own.