Mh & Hps Combo In Flower?

peacefulfield

Hey all I was just wondering what everyone's preference is in Flower?

Right now I have 2 600 watt ballasts. In 1 I'm running a 2000K HPS & other I'm  running 6500K MH. Now in my experiments running a blue light in flower yields less. But quality is always better. Yet it does keep the plant a darker green in the end. Yet we all know that HPS puts out almost twice the lummens per watt. Which makes the yield bigger & a bright green to yellow leaf/flower in color. I've heard of people using both in flower to the end, and going all MH in the begining or last weeks of flower. I've even heard rumors of people using 10,000k MH the last 2 weeks of flower for poientcy. Also does anyone use dual arch bulbs?

That makes total sense that you had a awesome veg. But sadly you lose lummens on the MH side... I have always wondered if full spectrum wavelenghts really worth it in flower? I'm thinking of switching to all HPS now. Because my plants on the MH side are smaller and growing slowwwww... Then maybe switch in the last 2 weeks back to MH after I get good size.

If you do mix MH & HPS during flower, you don't need as much MH, so adjust accordingly.  I.e use a 600 or 1000 watt HPS + 400 watt MH.  This will get you the benefits of the blue spectrum in the MH without causing your plants to become too leafy at the expense of bud production,

Edited by MrShpongle

If you do mix MH & HPS during flower, you don't need as much MH, so adjust accordingly.  I.e use a 600 or 1000 watt HPS + 400 watt MH.  This will get you the benefits of the blue spectrum in the MH without causing your plants to become too leafy at the expense of bud production,

I saw a unit with dual 400 provide great results. I actually disagree with the aove statement adding some blue to the hp is the way i would go. Still probably not life and death in terms of results.

I used a hortilux super blue metal halide last cycle, yield was horrible compared to hps but the quality was untouched. For the last year ive been running them first two and last two weeks, with slight noticable differences in trichs and resin, after a year i concluded its not worth the extra loot or hassle.

Still have not got around to using a splitter to run dual 600s of dif kelvin ratings in a single hood tho. I also noticed sunpulse now makes the splitter for digital ballasts and that is the preffered type of ballast to use now.

I think it makes the plants too leafy.

My one exception for risking leaf in the past was running warm CLF's flipped on their backs and laid on the container tops under the canopy firing up.

It increased the yeild to a size you'd see using a 1,000 HPS, while I was using a 400 watt HPS combined with 160 watts of 4' flouros.  It increased the leaf, but was worth the return in buds.  (at the time I did it.  I've tried it years since with less results.)

I did that once upon a time when I was a lot more mathematical, calculated and testing.  It's easier to just throw money at it and add another HPS and whatever fans are needed.

Good man.  I agree.

Dirt. Air. Light. Water.  No frills necessary.

I used a hortilux super blue metal halide last cycle, yield was horrible compared to hps but the quality was untouched. For the last year ive been running them first two and last two weeks, with slight noticable differences in trichs and resin, after a year i concluded its not worth the extra loot or hassle.

Still have not got around to using a splitter to run dual 600s of dif kelvin ratings in a single hood tho. I also noticed sunpulse now makes the splitter for digital ballasts and that is the preffered type of ballast to use now.

MH for veg, HPS for flower.  However, adding MH to your flower setup in the last 3-4 weeks of flower will help increase crystal and resin production.  MH contains UVB, which is harmful to flowers (its the UV light that will still burn you on an overcast day).  MJ produces crystals and resin to help protect the flowers, so the more you hit it with this more harmful UV light, the more the plant will try to protect its flowers.

I totally agree with above statement. I didn't know how to explain the science of why blue light enhanced resin & crystals but that makes total sense now.  That being said, does anyone wear protective UV glasses when using high powered MH lights? Or even HPS? I try to use sunglasses but not all the time...

Doesn't  the sunpulse ballast start off 50% dim go 100 % then back to 50% ? Kind of like the sun, plus saves energy...

no i dont think so, not even sure that sunpulse makes a ballast, just bulbs and splitter. The bulbs they make range in kelvin ratings just like say cfls but without the correct ballast there no dif than anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree with above statement. I didn't know how to explain the science of why blue light enhanced resin & crystals but that makes total sense now.  That being said, does anyone wear protective UV glasses when using high powered MH lights? Or even HPS? I try to use sunglasses but not all the time...

HPS do not give off UV. maybe like a very tiny bit but nothing to be concerned about. uv is about 10 - 400nm. heres your typical hps http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:High_Pressure_Sodium_Lamp_Spectrum.jpg

i think halides have more but i wouldnt worry about it. dont even think it's enough to give you a tan. i dont use them anymore though anyway. i much rather prefer hps. you get more lumens per watt. want a blue spectrum? add t5s, cfls, or leds on the side. 

im pretty sure the only lights used in growing that give off high levels of UV are UV specialized T8s and LEDs. keep in mind this is not all T8s and LEDs but ones specialized to give off just mainly UV. it's kind of newer tech with LEDs. 

i think mercury vapor also gives off UV but i never heard of them used in growing. at least not in modern days.

i've been told by people that the hps/mh combo lights are not worth it. cant say i tried them myself though. 

no i never wear eye protection myself. neither does anyone i know. and i know a LOT of growers. but you also should not be looking at the lights. besides that if you got a serious grow and are going in there 2-3 times a day or whatever, do you really have time to put sun screen on all the time? if your in a room with some serious lighting, it's just like you been outside on a bright day. i also dont know of anyone who chills in their rooms for very long anyway. its always a bunch of ins and outs. for me more of my work is outside the room. 

Edited by chernobyl

HPS do not give off UV. maybe like a very tiny bit but nothing to be concerned about. uv is about 10 - 400nm. heres your typical hps http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:High_Pressure_Sodium_Lamp_Spectrum.jpg

i think halides have more but i wouldnt worry about it. dont even think it's enough to give you a tan. i dont use them anymore though anyway. i much rather prefer hps. you get more lumens per watt. want a blue spectrum? add t5s, cfls, or leds on the side. 

im pretty sure the only lights used in growing that give off high levels of UV are UV specialized T8s and LEDs. keep in mind this is not all T8s and LEDs but ones specialized to give off just mainly UV. it's kind of newer tech with LEDs. 

i think mercury vapor also gives off UV but i never heard of them used in growing. at least not in modern days.

i've been told by people that the hps/mh combo lights are not worth it. cant say i tried them myself though. 

no i never wear eye protection myself. neither does anyone i know. and i know a LOT of growers. but you also should not be looking at the lights. besides that if you got a serious grow and are going in there 2-3 times a day or whatever, do you really have time to put sun screen on all the time? if your in a room with some serious lighting, it's just like you been outside on a bright day. i also dont know of anyone who chills in their is rooms for very long anyway. its always a bunch of ins and outs. for me more of my work is outside the room. 

I will agree to disagree here.. What if your using bare bulb vertical? still no eye protection? When I come out of a MH room my yellows are really yellow which disorients me a bit & vice versa. So if I'm going to be in my room for more than 5 min I use sunglasses.  I don't try to look at the bulbs but sometimes it happens... Better to be safe than sorry, I ask because I value my eyesight that's all..

If you use a 6500K MH or higher their is defiantly UV wavelengths going on enough to give you a sun tan... When you go to a tanning bed they use 20-30 or so 100 watt 6500K florescent which can/will burn white skin in 10 min... I will agree to using side lighting of any kind for extra penetration and led/flos are really nice for that.  In my opinion like i said up above combination lighting is better than just HPS in flower.  

I will say I just saw for the first time ( I know I lead a sheltered life) a pair of special glasses for grow rooms. 

they were blue and I want a pair.

Northerngal had them at the "urge to meet" gathering a couple weeks ago as a raffle item that were donated by a local grow store I believe.

they looked awesome and in the blue color would not be too annoying to come in and out of the dark hallway...

also... FYI for anyone who isn't aware already.. if your taking pictures and you see the "prison bar lines" in the pictures.. it is because of the light.. the camera can not adjust for so much light input... hold a pair of sunglasses over the lens and try again.. it works great !