Scientist Reports Finding New Compound In Jamaican Ganja

Scientist reports finding new compound in Jamaican ganja

Monday, January 27, 2014

LOCAL scientist Hawthorne Watson says he has isolated a new chemical compound from ganja, but is yet to determine whether it has any medicinal value.

Watson named the chemical compound as Cannabitriol (CBT), and said that while clinical studies have not yet been initiated... "its structure gives reasons to be upbeat".

"CBT has essentially the same basic structure as Tetrahyrocannabinol (THC), which is the main psychoactive compound found in ganja and is primarily responsible for giving the 'high'," Watson wrote in an article submitted to the Jamaica Observer.

"CBT, however, has two additional alcoholic groups," Watson said. "In addition, the position of what in Chemistry is called a 'double bond' is different. Interestingly, there are two different forms of THC and two different forms of CBT; but the reasons for their existence are widely unrelated."

Watson's findings come amidst growing debate in Jamaica and other countries about the medicinal use of ganja, also known as marijuana.

On January 8, the health ministry in France approved commercial sales of Sativex, a medicine derived from cannabis, for the first time.

Sativex, produced by Britain's GW Pharmaceuticals, will be allowed for the treatment of muscle spasms associated with multiple sclerosis.

Locally, legislators have been encouraged to decriminalise ganja in order to have Jamaica capitalise on a billion-dollar medical ganja industry.

In his article, Watson explained that Cannabitriol is a new cannabinoid.

"In simple terms, cannabinoids are the typical or characteristic chemicals found in the family of plants called Cannabaceae of which Cannabis is a member or genus," Watson said.

"Within this genus there are actually three species of Cannabis, but only two are well-known. The two are Cannabis indica, which is popularly known as hemp, and Cannabis sativa, known locally as ganja, but is also known elsewhere as marihuana or marijuana. The third and much less known species is Cannabis ruderalis, found mainly in central Russia," said Watson, who heads the Scientific Research Council.

"Cannabis sativa is the only species cultivated in Jamaica to date and is sometimes called hemp, in error," he said, adding that there are more than 85 known cannabinoids in Cannabis, but these chemicals are also produced naturally in the immune and nervous systems of humans and animals. Watson said that although the structural framework of THC and CBT is different from that of Cannabidiol (CBD), another well-known cannabinoid, a comparison can be made.

"The ending 'diol' in CBD indicates the presence of two alcoholic groups. In this case, one group is an alcohol and the other a phenol. CBT, on the other hand, has two alcoholic groups and a phenolic group," the scientist said.

"Cannabidiol is credited with curing a number of ailments including seizures, diabetes, cancers of various types, rheumatoid arthritis, inflammation and pain, among others, while having no known adverse side effect.

"Very importantly, it has been found to be an antidote to THC, meaning that CBD reduces the psychoactive effect of THC," he said.

According to Watson, a recent study has found THC to restrict and suppress the growth of cancer cells in the brain. "This is encouraging news, given that it was previously documented that THC actually kills lung cancer cells," he said.

Watson, however, cautioned that these results should not be interpreted to mean advocacy for widespread, uncontrolled or illegal use of the plant and its extracts.

"In this regard, it should be noted that tests are normally done with known quantities of pure chemicals under controlled conditions," he said, and reminded that "smoking of whatever substance can be a threat to good health and longevity".

Added Watson: "It is yet to be seen if Cannabitriol is psychoactive or has any curative powers. Clinical tests will have to be done; first with mice and then with humans, depending on the results obtained with the mice. This is usually a long and, most times, a very expensive process."

He said, too, that a potential difficulty with further work is that while THC and CBD are found in relative abundance in the two well-known species of Cannabis, Cannabitriol has been identified only in very small amounts.

"A chemical with some similarities was identified in Japanese ganja, but the scientists did not establish a structure to allow for meaningful comparison," Watson said.

.....my patients have been testing my Golden Back Gorilla Jamaican strain for a couple years with great results. skip the mice, on to the men

And THEN the sample goes to the lab to try and figure out what the PATIENTS told you, so you might learn something to help you repeat good results and stay away from bad results. Of course the lab testing you can afford to get done here in Michigan isn't going to tell you a whole lot.

I forego lab testing. For the most part I treat patients with sever pain. It only takes a sample to know if they respond favorably. I would never say "this strain works for this ailment", but maybe " this strain works well for my patient". If I was supplying an alternative healing center I would be using a lab to certify extractions as safe and free of contaminants. Without lab controls in the garden, lab results could vary.

I forego lab testing. For the most part I treat patients with sever pain. It only takes a sample to know if they respond favorably. I would never say "this strain works for this ailment", but maybe " this strain works well for my patient". If I was supplying an alternative healing center I would be using a lab to certify extractions as safe and free of contaminants. Without lab controls in the garden, lab results could vary.

If you were the supplier you should already know about contaminants. Someone sneaking something in on you?

I do know about contaminants, and that's exactly why mentioned. For instance, in a dirt growing environment you will not be able to detect ever present mold spores in the garden, or on the finished flowers. These are generally not a concern, except to the immune suppressed.  In an organically fertilized garden other contaminations may or may not be a concern, such as ecoli from composted poops or the like, and maybe pest excrement. These contaminants, and their  respective amounts, cannot be detected in the grow room with any amount of accuracy, but a laboratory will detect them, and report accordingly back to the grower. They will be able to inform a grower of exactly the amount of material is in a sample, that is not cannabis.

I see very little pests in my situation, but a gnat is present occasionally. They eat mold, and they poop too. I don't grow in a laboratory setting, nor do I think its necessary, except for the immune suppressed maybe. I have a thousand dollars worth of air scrubbers, and maintain a dry sealed environment. Probably more anal about it than most, and guarantee contaminants are detectable. Could be a spot of dirt, a hair, or maybe a stuck gnat once in awhile. Its a plant, in a dirt garden, cultivated by a farmer. Unfortunately our flowers cant be washed before using, so I pay extra special attention to cleanliness and purity, but my eyes aren't bionic either.

Nobody ever gets to see, smell, or touch my garden plants, or finished product except me, and then the designated patient.

If you were the supplier you should already know about contaminants. Someone sneaking something in on you?

if you apply water to soil, no filter removes "all that stuff" from your room. I have filters running 24/7, charcoal, hepa, and in a room with no plants, dirt, maybe they would provide an absolute "clean" but not with plants, dirt, water, and fertilizer being used. Mine air is clean, but I'm not fooled.

Go back over to your tools thread and refresh your memory about what I'm talking about. Hint; It's not an air filter.

Is a major study by the National Cancer Institute at the National Institutes of health not enough science to permit Obama via Holder to reclassify the drug? The potus just said that he will use all of his presidential privilege to work around Congress. The DEA is an administrative government agency and answers to the President. Lab studies on rodents is old news. The results are remarkable.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/cannabis/healthprofessional/page4

There are several pages.

WE ARE the walking, talking human study subjects, and the results are in as far as I can judge.

Edited by GregS

Report of a parent survey of cannabidiol-enriched cannabis use in pediatric treatment-resistant epilepsy.

Porter BE, Jacobson C. Epilepsy Behav. 2013 Dec;29(3):574-7.

Cannabidivarin (CBDV) suppresses pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced increases in epilepsy-related gene expression.

Amada N, Yamasaki Y, Williams CM, Whalley BJ. PeerJ. 2013 Nov 21;1:e214.

Cannabidivarin is anticonvulsant in mouse and rat.

Hill AJ, Mercier MS, Hill TD, Glyn SE, Jones NA, Yamasaki Y, Futamura T, Duncan M, Stott CG, Stephens GJ, Williams CM, Whalley BJ. Br J Pharmacol. 2012 Dec;167(8):1629-42.

Cannabidiol exerts anti-convulsant effects in animal models of temporal lobe and partial seizures

Jones NA, Glyn SE, Akiyama S, Hill TD, Hill AJ, Weston SE, Burnett MD, Yamasaki Y, Stephens GJ, Whalley BJ, Williams CM.Seizure. 2012 Jun;21(5):344-52

Phytocannabinoids as novel therapeutic agents in CNS disorders

Hill AJ, Williams CM, Whalley BJ, Stephens GJ. Pharmacol Ther. 2012 Jan;133(1):79-97

Δ⁹-Tetrahydrocannabivarin suppresses in vitro epileptiform and in vivo seizure activity in adult rats

Hill AJ, Weston SE, Jones NA, Smith I, Bevan SA, Williamson EM, Stephens GJ, Williams CM, Whalley BJ. Epilepsia. 2010 Aug;51(8):1522-32.

Cannabidiol displays antiepileptiform and antiseizure properties in vitro and in vivo

Jones NA, Hill AJ, Smith I, Bevan SA, Williams CM, Whalley BJ, Stephens GJ. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2010 Feb;332(2):569-77.

The phytocannabinoid Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabivarin modulates inhibitory neurotransmission in the cerebellum

Ma YL, Weston SE, Whalley BJ, Stephens GJ. Br J Pharmacol. 2008 May;154(1):204-15.

Diabetes / Metabolic Disease

The cannabinoid Δ(9)-tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV) ameliorates insulin sensitivity in two mouse models of obesity.

Wargent ET, Zaibi MS, Silvestri C, Hislop DC, Stocker CJ, Stott CG, Guy GW, Duncan M, Di Marzo V, Cawthorne MA. Nutr Diabetes. 2013 May 27;3:e68.

The endocannabinoid system in energy homeostasis and the etiopathology of metabolic disorders.

Silvestri C, Di Marzo V. Cell Metab. 2013 Apr 2;17(4):475-90.

Cannabinoids and Endocannabinoids in Metabolic Disorders with Focus on Diabetes

Di Marzo V, Piscitelli F, Mechoulam R. Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2011;(203):75-104.

Cannabinoids inhibit insulin receptor signalling in pancreatic β-cells

Kim W, Doyle ME, Liu Z, Lao Q, Shin YK, Carlson OD, Kim HS, Thomas S, Napora JK, Lee EK, Moaddel R, Wang Y, Maudsley S, Martin B, Kulkarni RN, Egan JM. Diabetes. 2011 Apr;60(4):1198-209.

A role for the putative cannabinoid receptor GPR55 in the islets of Langerhans

Romero-Zerbo SY, Rafacho A, Díaz-Arteaga A, Suárez J, Quesada I, Imbernon M, Ross RA, Dieguez C, Rodríguez de Fonseca F, Nogueiras R, Nadal A, Bermúdez-Silva FJ. J Endocrinol. 2011 Nov;211(2):177-85.

Peripheral effects of the endocannabinoid system in energy homeostasis: adipose tissue, liver and skeletal muscle.

Silvestri C, Ligresti A, Di Marzo V. Rev Endocr Metab Disord. 2011 Sep;12(3):153-62.

Effect of dietary fat on endocannabinoids and related mediators: consequences on energy homeostasis, inflammation and mood.

Banni S, Di Marzo V. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2010 Jan;54(1):82-92.

Synthetic and plant-derived cannabinoid receptor antagonists show hypophagic properties in fasted and non-fasted mice.

Riedel G, Fadda P, McKillop-Smith S, Pertwee RG, Platt B, Robinson L. Br J Pharmacol. 2009 Apr;156(7):1154-66

Lifestyle-induced metabolic inflexibility and accelerated ageing syndrome: insulin resistance, friend or foe?

Nunn AV, Bell JD, Guy GW. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2009 Apr 16;6:16.

Endocannabinoids, FOXO and the metabolic syndrome: redox, function and tipping point--the view from two systems.

Nunn AV, Guy GW, Bell JD. Immunobiology. 2010 Aug;215(8):617-28

The endocannabinoid system in metabolic control: a preface.

Di Marzo V. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009 Feb;23(1):vii-ix.

Cannabidiol arrests onset of autoimmune diabetes in NOD mice.

Weiss L, Zeira M, Reich S, Slavin S, Raz I, Mechoulam R, Gallily R. Neuropharmacology. 2008 Jan;54(1):244-9

Cannabidiol lowers incidence of diabetes in non-obese diabetic mice.

Weiss L, Zeira M, Reich S, Har-Noy M, Mechoulam R, Slavin S, Gallily R. Autoimmunity. 2006 Mar;39(2):143-51.

Inflammation

Cannabidiol in inflammatory bowel diseases: a brief overview.

Esposito G, Filippis DD, Cirillo C, Iuvone T, Capoccia E, Scuderi C, Steardo A, Cuomo R, Steardo L. Phytother Res. 2013 May;27(5):633-6.

Beneficial effect of the non-psychotropic plant cannabinoid cannabigerol on experimental inflammatory bowel disease.

Borrelli F, Fasolino I, Romano B, Capasso R, Maiello F, Coppola D, Orlando P, Battista G, Pagano E, Di Marzo V, Izzo AA. Biochem Pharmacol. 2013 May 1;85(9):1306-16.

Cannabinoids mediate opposing effects on inflammation-induced intestinal permeability.

Alhamoruni A, Wright KL, Larvin M, O'Sullivan SE. Br J Pharmacol. 2012 Apr;165(8):2598-610.

Cannabinoid actions at TRPV channels: effects on TRPV3 and TRPV4 and their potential relevance to gastrointestinal inflammation.

De Petrocellis L, Orlando P, Moriello AS, Aviello G, Stott C, Izzo AA, Di Marzo V. Acta Physiol (Oxf). 2012 Feb;204(2):255-66.

Cannabidiol reduces intestinal inflammation through the control of neuroimmune axis.

De Filippis D, Esposito G, Cirillo C, Cipriano M, De Winter BY, Scuderi C, Sarnelli G, Cuomo R, Steardo L, De Man JG, Iuvone T. PLoS One. 2011;6(12):e28159.

Cannabis use amongst patients with inflammatory bowel disease.

Lal S, Prasad N, Ryan M, Tangri S, Silverberg MS, Gordon A, Steinhart H. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011 Oct;23(10):891-6.

Treatment of Crohn's disease with cannabis: an observational study.

Naftali T, Lev LB, Yablecovitch D, Half E, Konikoff FM. Isr Med Assoc J. 2011 Aug;13(8):455-8.

Impact of cannabis treatment on the quality of life, weight and clinical disease activity in inflammatory bowel disease patients: a pilot prospective study.

Lahat A, Lang A, Ben-Horin S. Digestion. 2012;85(1):1-8.

Gut feelings about the endocannabinoid system.

Di Marzo V, Piscitelli F. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2011 May;23(5):391-8

The effects of Delta-tetrahydrocannabinol and cannabidiol alone and in combination on damage, inflammation and in vitro motility disturbances in rat colitis.

Jamontt JM, Molleman A, Pertwee RG, Parsons ME. Br J Pharmacol. 2010 Jun;160(3):712-23

Cannabinoids and the gut: new developments and emerging concepts.

Izzo AA, Sharkey KA. Pharmacol Ther. 2010 Apr;126(1):21-38.

Pharmacological effects of cannabinoids on the Caco-2 cell culture model of intestinal permeability.

Alhamoruni A, Lee AC, Wright KL, Larvin M, O'Sullivan SE. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2010 Oct;335(1):92-102.

Cannabinoids and the immune system: an overview.

Tanasescu R, Constantinescu CS. Immunobiology. 2010 Aug;215(8):588-97.

Cannabidiol, a safe and non-psychotropic ingredient of the marijuana plant Cannabis sativa, is protective in a murine model of colitis.

Borrelli F, Aviello G, Romano B, Orlando P, Capasso R, Maiello F, Guadagno F, Petrosino S, Capasso F, Di Marzo V, Izzo AA. J Mol Med (Berl). 2009 Nov;87(11):1111-21.

Cannabidiol, extracted from Cannabis sativa, selectively inhibits inflammatory hypermotility in mice.

Capasso R, Borrelli F, Aviello G, Romano B, Scalisi C, Capasso F, Izzo AA. Br J Pharmacol. 2008 Jul;154(5):1001-8.

A novel CB receptor GPR55 and its ligands are involved in regulation of gut movement in rodents.

Lin XH, Yuece B, Li YY, Feng YJ, Feng JY, Yu LY, Li K, Li YN, Storr M. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2011 Sep;23(9):862-e342.

Link:

Preliminary assessment of the efficacy, tolerability and safety of a cannabis-based medicine (Sativex) in the treatment of pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis.

Blake DR, Robson P, Ho M, et al. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2006;45(1):50-2.

Oncology

Enhancing the activity of cannabidiol and other cannabinoids in vitro through modifications to drug combinations and treatment schedules.

Scott KA, Shah S, Dalgleish AG, Liu WM. Anticancer Res. 2013 Oct;33(10):4373-80.

Cannabidiol as potential anticancer drug.

Massi P, Solinas M, Cinquina V, Parolaro D. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2013 Feb;75(2):303-12

Cannabidiol, a Non-Psychoactive Cannabinoid Compound, Inhibits Proliferation and Invasion in U87-MG and T98G Glioma Cells through a Multitarget Effect.

Solinas M, Massi P, Cinquina V, Valenti M, Bolognini D, Gariboldi M, Monti E, Rubino T, Parolaro D. PLoS One. 2013 Oct 21;8(10):e76918.

Cannabinoids: a new hope for breast cancer therapy?

Caffarel MM, Andradas C, Pérez-Gómez E, Guzmán M, Sánchez C. Cancer Treat Rev. 2012 Nov;38(7):911-8

Towards the use of cannabinoids as antitumour agents.

Velasco G, Sánchez C, Guzmán M. Nat Rev Cancer. 2012 May 4;12(6):436-44.

Cannabidiol inhibits angiogenesis by multiple mechanisms.

Solinas M, Massi P, Cantelmo AR, Cattaneo MG, Cammarota R, Bartolini D, Cinquina V, Valenti M, Vicentini LM, Noonan DM, Albini A, Parolaro D. Br J Pharmacol. 2012 Nov;167(6):1218-31.

Chemopreventive effect of the non-psychotropic phytocannabinoid cannabidiol on experimental colon cancer.

Aviello G, Romano B, Borrelli F, Capasso R, Gallo L, Piscitelli F, Di Marzo V, Izzo AA. J Mol Med (Berl). 2012 Aug;90(8):925-34.

A combined preclinical therapy of cannabinoids and temozolomide against glioma.

Torres S, Lorente M, Rodríguez-Fornés F, Hernández-Tiedra S, Salazar M, García-Taboada E, Barcia J, Guzmán M, Velasco G. Mol Cancer Ther. 2011 Jan;10(1):90-103.

Stimulation of the midkine/ALK axis renders glioma cells resistant to cannabinoid antitumoral action.

Lorente M, Torres S, Salazar M, Carracedo A, Hernández-Tiedra S, Rodríguez-Fornés F, García-Taboada E, Meléndez B, Mollejo M, Campos-Martín Y, Lakatosh SA, Barcia J, Guzmán M, Velasco G. Cell Death Differ. 2011 Jun;18(6):959-73.

Pathways mediating the effects of cannabidiol on the reduction of breast cancer cell proliferation, invasion, and metastasis.

McAllister SD, Murase R, Christian RT, Lau D, Zielinski AJ, Allison J, Almanza C, Pakdel A, Lee J, Limbad C, Liu Y, Debs RJ, Moore DH, Desprez PY. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011 Aug;129(1):37-47.

The orphan G protein-coupled receptor GPR55 promotes cancer cell proliferation via ERK.

Andradas C, Caffarel MM, Pérez-Gómez E, Salazar M, Lorente M, Velasco G, Guzmán M, Sánchez C. Oncogene. 2011 Jan 13;30(2):245-52

Cannabinoids reduce ErbB2-driven breast cancer progression through Akt inhibition.

Caffarel MM, Andradas C, Mira E, Pérez-Gómez E, Cerutti C, Moreno-Bueno G, Flores JM, García-Real I, Palacios J, Mañes S, Guzmán M, Sánchez C. Mol Cancer. 2010 Jul 22;9:196

Molecular mechanisms involved in the antitumor activity of cannabinoids on gliomas: role for oxidative stress.

Massi P, Valenti M, Solinas M, Parolaro D. Cancers (Basel). 2010 May 26;2(2):1013-26.

Cannabinoid action induces autophagy-mediated cell death through stimulation of ER stress in human glioma cells.

Salazar M, Carracedo A, Salanueva IJ, Hernández-Tiedra S, Lorente M, Egia A, Vázquez P, Blázquez C, Torres S, García S, Nowak J, Fimia GM, Piacentini M, Cecconi F, Pandolfi PP, González-Feria L, Iovanna JL, Guzmán M, Boya P, Velasco G. J Clin Invest. 2009 May;119(5):1359-72.

Cannabinoids in intestinal inflammation and cancer.

Izzo AA, Camilleri M. Pharmacol Res. 2009 Aug;60(2):117-25.

Cannabinoids as potential new therapy for the treatment of gliomas.

Parolaro D, Massi P. Expert Rev Neurother. 2008 Jan;8(1):37-49.

Cannabinoids inhibit glioma cell invasion by down-regulating matrix metalloproteinase-2 expression.

Blázquez C, Salazar M, Carracedo A, Lorente M, Egia A, González-Feria L, Haro A, Velasco G, Guzmán M. Cancer Res. 2008 Mar 15;68(6):1945-52.

Cannabinoids and gliomas.

Velasco G, Carracedo A, Blázquez C, Lorente M, Aguado T, Haro A, Sánchez C, Galve-Roperh I, Guzmán M. Mol Neurobiol. 2007 Aug;36(1):60-7.

Cannabidiol as a novel inhibitor of Id-1 gene expression in aggressive breast cancer cells.

McAllister SD, Christian RT, Horowitz MP, Garcia A, Desprez PY. Mol Cancer Ther. 2007 Nov;6(11):2921-7.

Cannabinoids induce glioma stem-like cell differentiation and inhibit gliomagenesis.

Aguado T, Carracedo A, Julien B, Velasco G, Milman G, Mechoulam R, Alvarez L, Guzmán M, Galve-Roperh I. J Biol Chem. 2007 Mar 2;282(9):6854-62.

Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits cell cycle progression in human breast cancer cells through Cdc2 regulation.

Caffarel MM, Sarrió D, Palacios J, Guzmán M, Sánchez C. Cancer Res. 2006 Jul 1;66(13):6615-21.

A pilot clinical study of Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol in patients with recurrent glioblastoma multiforme.

Guzmán M, Duarte MJ, Blázquez C, Ravina J, Rosa MC, Galve-Roperh I, Sánchez C, Velasco G, González-Feria L. Br J Cancer. 2006 Jul 17;95(2):197-203.

Psychiatric Illness

Cannabinoids and Schizophrenia: Therapeutic Prospects.

Robson PJ, Guy GW, Di Marzo V. Curr Pharm Des. 2013 Jun 14. [Epub ahead of print]

Cannabidiol enhances anandamide signaling and alleviates psychotic symptoms of schizophrenia.

Leweke FM, Piomelli D, Pahlisch F, Muhl D, Gerth CW, Hoyer C, Klosterkötter J, Hellmich M, Koethe D. Transl Psychiatry. 2012 Mar 20;2:e94

Multiple mechanisms involved in the large-spectrum therapeutic potential of cannabidiol in psychiatric disorders.

Campos AC, Moreira FA, Gomes FV, Del Bel EA, Guimarães FS. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2012 Dec 5;367(1607):3364-78.

Neural mechanisms for the cannabinoid modulation of cognition and affect in man: a critical review of neuroimaging studies.

Bhattacharyya S, Atakan Z, Martin-Santos R, Crippa JA, McGuire PK. Curr Pharm Des. 2012;18(32):5045-54.

Plasma and brain pharmacokinetic profile of cannabidiol (CBD), cannabidivarine (CBDV), Δ⁹-tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV) and cannabigerol (CBG) in rats and mice following oral and intraperitoneal administration and CBD action on obsessive-compulsive behaviour.

Deiana S, Watanabe A, Yamasaki Y, Amada N, Arthur M, Fleming S, Woodcock H, Dorward P, Pigliacampo B, Close S, Platt B, Riedel G. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2012 Feb;219(3):859-73.

Cannabidiol and clozapine reverse MK-801-induced deficits in social interaction and hyperactivity in Sprague-Dawley rats.

Gururajan A, Taylor DA, Malone DT. J Psychopharmacol. 2012 Oct;26(10):1317-32.

Opposite effects of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol and cannabidiol on human brain function and psychopathology.

Bhattacharyya S, Morrison PD, Fusar-Poli P, Martin-Santos R, Borgwardt S, Winton-Brown T, Nosarti C, O' Carroll CM, Seal M, Allen P, Mehta MA, Stone JM, Tunstall N, Giampietro V, Kapur S, Murray RM, Zuardi AW, Crippa JA, Atakan Z, McGuire PK. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2010 Feb;35(3):764-74.

Cannabidiol, a Cannabis sativa constituent, as an antipsychotic drug.

Zuardi AW, Crippa JA, Hallak JE, Moreira FA, Guimarães FS. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2006 Apr;39(4):421-9.

Cannabidiol reverses MK-801-induced disruption of prepulse inhibition in mice.

Long LE, Malone DT, Taylor DA. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2006 Apr;31(4):795-803.

I know the filter you speak of. works great for oil, but dried buds clog it quickly. The contaminations most likely found on flowers in the room. I don't provide oil to anyone anymore, and never did "filter" it with those. Hell, now, I just shake the buds through a micro screen and collect my dusty treasures.

We were talking about extracts were we not?

grassmatch QUOTE: I would be using a lab to certify extractions as safe and free of contaminants

We were talking about extracts were we not?

grassmatch QUOTE: I would be using a lab to certify extractions as safe and free of contaminants

nope, buds, gardens. I don't use labs, and would ONLY  use them to find contaminants in an extract intended for use by an immune suppressed patient. Otherwise, we were discussing contaminants in the garden, on the flowers. "For instance, in a dirt growing environment you will not be able to detect ever present mold spores in the garden, or on the finished flowers"

You can use a specialized filter to help make sure that your extractions are free from contaminants. Then you wouldn't have to depend on a lab.

Thanks for posting those referenced works Resto. The effin' science is there. Now we need to call Obama out on his remarks. Drugs can be rescheduled through the Justice Department following a thorough review of the science. I cannot imagine them getting anything more authoritative than government funded published research.

Edited by GregS

true enough,  extractions are halted here for awhile, and I aint no medical lab, so no testing in my future. I don't aspire to be treating the immuno suppressed thankfully. If I did, I suspect an oncologist would want to "purify" a homemade extraction before injecting it into a brain tumor, rather than counting on my new micro screen technique at home. I like being a dirt farmer, more than a lab rat. lol

You can use a specialized filter to help make sure that your extractions are free from contaminants. Then you wouldn't have to depend on a lab.

true enough,  extractions are halted here for awhile, and I aint no medical lab, so no testing in my future. I don't aspire to be treating the immuno suppressed thankfully. If I did, I suspect an oncologist would want to "purify" a homemade extraction before injecting it into a brain tumor, rather than counting on my new micro screen technique at home. I like being a dirt farmer, more than a lab rat. lol

The advice was for anyone, especially if you suspect mold in your extract. I learned it from Skunkworks.

Boy. The government is in one huge sh*t pile when it comes to cannabis. Every frickin day there is something new and positive that comes out about cannabis. The positives outweigh the negatives by, what, 1000% now? Yet they still keep their heels dug in, hoping like heck that a new study will come out that proves that cannabis really does make men grow mammary glands.

They are screwed. They just don't realize it yet.