Detroit State Of The City Address

legacy

I caught the introductions to the Feb 23 Detroit State of the City address. Mayor Duggan introduced maybe 10 council members. Each one receiving applause after the introduction. The last one was James Tate. Duggan said, "And the man responsible for the fact that we're finally going to start shutting down (medical) marijuana dispensaries in the city of Detroit, councilman James Tate!" Was it just me, or did Tate react with an uncomfortable smile like a traitor being discovered? Was it just me, or did the audience give a hesitant and more subdued round of applause? 

The next mayoral election is 2017. Seems Tate has been moving up the career ladder in that direction. Duggan could possibly run for Governor in 2018.

For now, I'm just hoping Detroit is smart enough to learn from LA's mistakes. It seems Detroit needs to coordinate licensing, taxing, and regulating along with the enforcement of non-compliant dispensaries. If they just start closing dispensaries, they risk going down LA's three year path of wasted efforts. Unfortunately it sounds like that's where Duggan and Tate are going. It will be interesting to look back in 2017 and 2018 and see how they tried to manage Detroit's mmj industry.