Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

Yah I'm doing 10gal totes for each plant except 3 5gal buckets for the autoflowers first then the best 3 of the bunch are going to get cloned into them as mothers. :D I figure a few of the 12" long air stones should be plenty of bubbles. I was looking into getting a 8.5" disc for each but those guys are expensive :lol:

it's all about the pumps man. if i am using the wal-mart 20-60 gallon pump, i like the little one inch air stones:

med_gallery_13801_60_1451240.jpg

but when i have the commercial pumps running in the big system i use the 6inch stones. that commercial pump seriously puts out some air.

it's all about the pumps man. if i am using the wal-mart 20-60 gallon pump, i like the little one inch air stones:

med_gallery_13801_60_1451240.jpg

but when i have the commercial pumps running in the big system i use the 6inch stones. that commercial pump seriously puts out some air.

I bought dual outlet 100 gal air pumps, I'm going to split each outlet into 3 and just use the 12" long style air stones. I'd like to get a commercial pump but I just dropped a decent amount on 2 i have.

I figured I'd go overkill :lol: Another question pertaining DWC, Do the bubbles need to be spread out throughout the bucket? If so how do you spread out the air with a 1" airstone :lol:

lmao... overkill?? when the water inside splashes around so much that it spills over the top edges you have found overkill. ;)

also, the bubbles themselves are not REALLY what we are after......... although the bubble rising from the bottom to the top of the water will in fact help to oxygenate that water and keep everything stirred up real good, what you are REALLY after is the water movement itself, and especially the movement in the water on top.

moving water = oxygenated water.

now this gets tough to see as the plant grows and the roots start to completely fill the buckets. by this time you wont hardly see any movement at all. the roots will eventually smother the air stones completely. by now the plant is mature enough and well into flowering and just the unseen oxygen going into the water is enough. many people think they MUST have an air stone directly under the net pot. this is not the case.

lmao... overkill?? when the water inside splashes around so much that it spills over the top edges you have found overkill. ;)

also, the bubbles themselves are not REALLY what we are after......... although the bubble rising from the bottom to the top of the water will in fact help to oxygenate that water and keep everything stirred up real good, what you are REALLY after is the water movement itself, and especially the movement in the water on top.

now this gets tough as the plant grows and the roots start to completely fill the buckets. by this time you wont hardly see any movement at all. the roots will eventually smother the air stones completely. by now the plant is mature enough and well into flowering and just the unseen oxygen going into the water is enough. many people think they MUST have an air stone directly under the net pot. this is not the case.

I am using 5 gallon buckets, when my roots fill the bucket and "smoother the air stone" do you still keep the air running through the system?

I am using 5 gallon buckets, when my roots fill the bucket and "smoother the air stone" do you still keep the air running through the system?

oh yeah.... nothing changes. you just wont visibly see all the commotion in the water because there will be roots everywhere. things are still "working" just fine.... you just can't see them working sometimes.

now this gets tough as the plant grows and the roots start to completely fill the buckets. by this time you wont hardly see any movement at all. the roots will eventually smother the air stones completely. by now the plant is mature enough and well into flowering and just the unseen oxygen going into the water is enough. many people think they MUST have an air stone directly under the net pot. this is not the case.

I was thinking more for spreading the bubbles out through the res instead of directly under the net pot, but basically you want the current not the bubbles, correct? Does more/less oxygen make for better root systems and growth in your

one added tip....... if you are having troubles keeping your air stones sunk to the bottom of the bucket, a $1.25 small glass ashtray from wal-mart works perfect. flip it over and set it on the air tube.... using the wells in the sides of the ashtray (where you would normally put a cigarette) to go over the air line.

just make sure you wash the ashtray and take any stickers/price tags off first obviously. ;)

one added tip....... if you are having troubles keeping your air stones sunk to the bottom of the bucket, a $1.25 small glass ashtray from wal-mart works perfect. flip it over and set it on the air tube.... using the wells in the sides of the ashtray (where you would normally put a cigarette) to go over the air line.

just make sure you wash the ashtray and take any stickers/price tags off first obviously.

PRO TIP #1732

USE HEAVY OBJECTS TO SECURE SH!T.

:lol:

haha. true that. you wouldnt believe some of the crazy things i have seen sunk to the bottom of these buckets to hold the line down.

I had to use fishing weights in my fish tank to hold down some of the decorative air stones :lol:

good afternoon everyone. new to indoor, would like to go with bubble buckkets. question, can i use jiffy peat pellets for my seedlings, then put those in my hydroton. been soaking seeds for a couple days and i must move quickly. thanks in advance

Ok I went to the store then came home because I started thinking.... Ok for economical purposes I was wondering what is the smallest control bucket and rez I need when making a 12 - 5 gallon bucket setup? I don't want to get a 55 gallon rez with a 13 gallon control bucket and have to use all the extra chemicals. So I was trying to figure out do I need enough room in my rez/control bucket to cover all the water in the buckets? I know it keeps moving but???

I've seen those, but I'm all for cheap DIY methods and I have a 6" holesaw so it'll be the perfect cut for a net pot in a lid :lol:

bestes has the same lids with net pots built in for about $2.50, same thing at superior in livonia was like $4.50. convenient for the less mechanically inclined.

Ok I went to the store then came home because I started thinking.... Ok for economical purposes I was wondering what is the smallest control bucket and rez I need when making a 12 - 5 gallon bucket setup? I don't want to get a 55 gallon rez with a 13 gallon control bucket and have to use all the extra chemicals. So I was trying to figure out do I need enough room in my rez/control bucket to cover all the water in the buckets? I know it keeps moving but???

you want your control bucket to be the same sized as your normal buckets, so 5gal buckets are your choice, 5 gal has to be your control to, that way the buckets are always at the same water level.

bestes has the same lids with net pots built in for about $2.50, same thing at superior in livonia was like $4.50. convenient for the less mechanically inclined.

Yah alot of shops beat superiors prices, but I get 15% at superior so I go there most times when I'm in a rush, if I don't need it now I hunt the internet for the best possibly price.

Congratulations to BubbleGrower, the sites newest moderator.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

darn Congrats BG!!!

you could just use 5 gallon buckets for both the rez and control if you wish. it really makes no difference.... with a smaller rez you may just want to do a flush more often.

with a 55 gallon rez, its not going to hold 55 gallons.......... not even close....... it is only going to have as much water in in as needed to maintain the level to the bottom of the net pots in the grow buckets. the 55 gal is just wider so it will hold more water.

in this system, the reservoir doesnt act as a rez in most ebb & flow type systems. in this system, the rez is simply an open bucket (no plants, roots) that you can get to the water/nutes easily to do your daily checking/filling. just as the only purpose of the control bucket is to hold a water pump and not have roots getting sucked into it.

Here are my flowering babes. The little kola's still have two weeks to go if they finish in eight weeks. The larger one which is tied down still has five or more weeks to go. It's definitely more stavia than the others, love seeing the thin fingered leaves! darn their gorgeous!

ok getting error messages about the size of the pics, i'll post the others after this one.

post-13362-12747276814306_thumb.jpg

Ok, so I guess I can't post more pic's until I figure out how to drop pics off my "global quota".

Here are my flowering babes. The little kola's still have two weeks to go if they finish in eight weeks. The larger one which is tied down still has five or more weeks to go. It's definitely more stavia than the others, love seeing the thin fingered leaves! darn their gorgeous!

ok getting error messages about the size of the pics, i'll post the others after this one.

post-13362-12747276814306_thumb.jpg

Ok, so I guess I can't post more pic's until I figure out how to drop pics off my "global quota".

looking good!! have you tried using the method of uploading pics in my sig? it's a bit of a pain at first, but once you load the first couple and get the hang of it, it's the way to go :)