The Official Mmma Musician Thread!

for real - we should have an impromptu jam session at a gathering - I'm serious - MOCC is having a harvest fest this year - maybe some other club or some where central for all??

All who can play should show - only mistake to be made is not joining in - be a great time - no egos - just bring axes and plug into others equipment - still need a drummer from what I read

Guest OxXGarfieldXxO

Well I guess I should chime in as well. Don't really consider myself a "musician" anymore though. I rarely even pick up a guitar anymore. Used to do the bar band deal in the 80's but had a hand numbing accident in like 2000 with a skill saw at work that caused my nerve endings in my pick hand to not have a bit of feeling. I couldn't hold a pick for years with enough rigidity, so I just quit.

I've owned everything from a 73 Les paul with a Dimarzio X2n Split coil (which I actually hated for its weight and lack of a Floyd: Have to remember this was the 80's and everything had tremolo work. Had yanked the Gibson humbuckers out too obviously to put in the X2N) to my mains which were Charvel and B.C.Riches (Warlock and Bich). These are my current axes. Nothing special, but they work.

My electric is a 90's era Jackson RR

Jackson.jpg

My acoustic is a 2003 or 04 Ovation. Forget the model.

Ovation.jpg

Here's some audio I made like a year ago. It's pretty crappy in my opinion, and really just short excerpts. I was trying to figure out some recording software I got with my Line6 UX2, and I failed horribly at it....lol. An engineer/producer I am not!

Start out slow I guess. This first track was actually my first attempt at home recording. This was my attempt at Ann Wilson's into to "Crazy on you" It ends on a big clam but hey...

http://www.michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/ccs_files/audio/test.mp3

I see a few of you guys mentioning Sabbath as an influence. I have to say Tony was certainly one of my earliest. This track was a little joke between a cousin I hadn't seen in years and myself. I was introduced to Live Evil by this man, and that album changed me. It was kind of a "Name that tune" deal where I made a medley. He incorrectly identified the last piece as "Fluff", and it was the outro to "Heaven and Hell". This was more of a test for me with the software. Laying multiple tracks, setting up a drum machine and sounds. Again I failed horrible, but hey....

http://www.michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/ccs_files/audio/Medley.mp3

Last piece has a bit of solo work. As you can probably tell by my title for the piece, at the time I thought it blew chunks well and that's about it. Kinda funny about this, when I stop after the second chorus it was simply cause my hand hurt if I remember correctly. My hands are so out of shape in comparison to when I was a young man.....

http://www.michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/ccs_files/audio/Surfing_with_the_aliens_ultra_sucky_cant_play_version.mp3

EDIT I see it cant be seen:

[media]Surfing_with_the_aliens_ultra_sucky_cant_play_version.mp3[/media]

Even if people didn't get together, maybe someone with some producing/mix down experience could gather tracks from all the people around. It wouldn't be that hard.

Best

• 4 weeks later...

I'm guilty of playing music. Started playing sax in '65 and string instruments since '72.

Began teaching private classes in '77, college in '85 and retired this year. Schooled at Berklee, classes of '79, '84, '90, '98, '02, and '08. Studies in Theory, Harmony, Composition, Performance, Ear Training and Digital Recording/Mixing/Mastering.

Worked for Warner Bros., Hal Leonard, Columbia, and a few other publishers doing music transcriptions.

Main gtrs are Godin LGXT (MIDI synth controller) and a classical gtr made in Spain. Amp is Bose PAS.

Influences are too numerous to list but include: Jazz, Rock, Blues, and the Carnatic music of India.

Playing solo for some years but recently put a band together with some old bros.

Have much recorded (released 3 CDs and produced more for other artists) but hesitate to link to any of it due to privacy concerns.

I attempted to create a 'Musicians of MMMA' CD last year, but due to lack of response, the project was cancelled.

Maybe one day, we'll all get together and have a real nice MMMA jam. :thumbsu:

Always keep making music. Music is superior to words.

Peace.

I had the good fortune to visit Kevin, and let me tell you folks...this man can play a guitar! :bow:

Just got this one the other day. 1999 Gibson Jeff Beck '54 Oxblood Les Paul. The infamous "Blow by Blow" guitar.

I've been playing since I was 14. In and out of the club circuit since I was 16 and I'm 45 now and just noodle at home by myself or with a few close friends or if I'm called to do something.

OxbloodLPForsale003.jpg

ox004.jpg

ox011.jpg

I pretty much play Gibson Les Paul's and Marshall amps exclusively, although I love a nice old Tweed or Gibson amp too.

@ Kevin: i thought i recognized your icon when i first saw it. Wasn't it from Michael Hedges' Oracle disk? he was a great player!

@Jipo: please check your amp head. i may have drooled on it thru the interwebs a bit! what a beauty!

@ Garfield : any chance you have thought about selling that RR V?

Hey all! Great thread to start! I play bass. I play a Modulus Quantum 5. Played in a funk/rock/r&b-ish band for about 4-5 years, and toured around the east coast and Midwest. Barely touch my bass now...but would LOVE to find to find some folks to jam with in the Royal Oak/Ferndale area!! Funk, r&b, country...whatever...let's just play!

Just got this one the other day. 1999 Gibson Jeff Beck '54 Oxblood Les Paul. The infamous "Blow by Blow" guitar.

I've been playing since I was 14. In and out of the club circuit since I was 16 and I'm 45 now and just noodle at home by myself or with a few close friends or if I'm called to do something.

OxbloodLPForsale003.jpg

ox004.jpg

ox011.jpg

I pretty much play Gibson Les Paul's and Marshall amps exclusively, although I love a nice old Tweed or Gibson amp too.

WOW they do look great i do mot know much about guitar but they do look sweet

• 1 month later...

Nice rig Jipo! Those ENGL's are monsters!!! :thumbsu:

Thanks, I love this thing, its such a beast, all the tone I could ever need!! My wallets still a little upset with me though :lol:

@ Kevin: i thought i recognized your icon when i first saw it. Wasn't it from Michael Hedges' Oracle disk? he was a great player!

@Jipo: please check your amp head. i may have drooled on it thru the interwebs a bit! what a beauty!

@ Garfield : any chance you have thought about selling that RR V?

:lol: I gotta towel no worries mate!

47372_1299545223242_1668755575_596057_6048528_n.jpg

Heres the beauty again, with my new old (mid 90's) ESP Eclipse :D

and heres my custom which is now a string through body with a tele bridge :)

6cf85230.jpg

DSCN0522.jpg

Moar!

My Engl on bottom, My band mates Framus Cobra and Engl Fireball running into a custom Mojo cab w/ v30 speakers for recording :)

Dude, do the different bongs work differently for different effects, or do you just like to stay prepared for all situations? Just sayin...

Dude, do the different bongs work differently for different effects, or do you just like to stay prepared for all situations? Just sayin...

LMAO!!! I didn't even notice those were in the pic hahaha!

I'll be a very happy new owner of a 1958 Les Paul Junior next week. :)

Very nice! Wow...

Thanks for the good laugh, BisH!

x2

Archived